• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AC options vs heater repair in M1123

tjonesdfw

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have a bad heater core on our 1123 and have been debating between replacing the entire core and blower assembly that HPG sells ($1,300 ouch!) or installing the Restomod Air kit…. Which is even more $$$! Have heard some love the Restomod kit and others hated it and told me it was junk. Looked into a fender mount factory AC setup but no one around Texas seems to be able to install it and was told I’d need a dual front/rear system for a 4 door to properly cool in our summers. Truck originally had a Red Dot so it has the compressor bracket and a Sanden compressor on it already at least. With all the gaps and holes, and 100+ temps in Texas, is the headache and expense of getting AC worth it or should I just replace the heater core and roll the windows down and call it a day?

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I live in the Florida Inferno so my take is that AC is required and since you have the compressor already I would vote get the system running.

Around here, you can rent a AC vacuum pump and set of gauges. Some local to me auto parts stores will even loan those out for free. But I bought a good set verses Chineium Crapulance years ago and found it has paid for themselves many times over. Buy a case, or two, or R134 before the Kommies ban its sale.

While I agree that having front and rear AC is optimal, I just have one front evap and it is good enough when it works. My rig had a Chinesium aftermarket evap which I had replace twice so far. I would say go with something that won't blow up every year.

tjonesdfw

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I live in the Florida Inferno so my take is that AC is required and since you have the compressor already I would vote get the system running.

Around here, you can rent a AC vacuum pump and set of gauges. Some local to me auto parts stores will even loan those out for free. But I bought a good set verses Chineium Crapulance years ago and found it has paid for themselves many times over. Buy a case, or two, or R134 before the Kommies ban its sale.

While I agree that having front and rear AC is optimal, I just have one front evap and it is good enough when it works. My rig had a Chinesium aftermarket evap which I had replace twice so far. I would say go with something that won't blow up every year.
I would need the rest of a system first. Sold the rest of our Red Dot components when we converted to 4 door config. In retrospect, I should’ve just fixed what needed fixing and extended the hoses to our new steel rear curtain. Would’ve been ALOT cheaper. Good to know one unit holds up decent in FL heat though.

tjonesdfw

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just FYI, NOS Red Dot AC packages are going on Govplanet recently for around $1,000.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk
Do you know if those are the newer style rear fender kits or the ones that mount on the rear curtain? I couldn’t tell from photos. My best bet may be to just buy the inside and outside components I already sold for the rear curtain and connect to my existing compressor.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have a bad heater core on our 1123 and have been debating between replacing the entire core and blower assembly that HPG sells ($1,300 ouch!) or installing the Restomod Air kit…. Which is even more $$$! Have heard some love the Restomod kit and others hated it and told me it was junk. Looked into a fender mount factory AC setup but no one around Texas seems to be able to install it and was told I’d need a dual front/rear system for a 4 door to properly cool in our summers. Truck originally had a Red Dot so it has the compressor bracket and a Sanden compressor on it already at least. With all the gaps and holes, and 100+ temps in Texas, is the headache and expense of getting AC worth it or should I just replace the heater core and roll the windows down and call it a day?
heater cores really aren’t $1300

tjonesdfw

Steel Soldiers Supporter
heater cores really aren’t $1300
I was referring to the whole heater assembly with blower. Mac Motors has it for $956 which is the best I’ve found. They also appear to have the best price on the core only at $382, but my heater housing is rusted clean through.

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was referring to the whole heater assembly with blower. Mac Motors has it for $956 which is the best I’ve found. They also appear to have the best price on the core only at $382, but my heater housing is shot rusted clean through.
Put a want in the SS classifieds, someone likely has a used one.
I have one but it is for a basic/A1

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks