• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AC60 Fried broken glow plug / 12V resistor bypass

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put your tools down and step away from the vehicle...

Download and read TM9-2320-289-20

Glowplugs

2-11. TROUBLESHOOTING SYMPTOM INDEX , Glowplugs

follow the steps, one at a time.

Also, I see today you have posted your trouble in at least 3 other threads. Please do not do this, it is not how we use a Forum properly.

Last edited:

that1028guy

Has anyone thought about his alternative fuel? Does that pose a special issue to glowplugs? As far as the MIA tip, my m1008 started a interesting knock when it ate a glowplug and mushroomed a piston. Nothing a red scubbie disk couldnt take care of:D but it let go when the engine was hot. Good luck figuring it out, and keep us posted!

kentuckycucv

Well I have been ransacking the forums trying to figure this out. i will try and study the TM, and was keeping my old posts updated. I know lots of other guys have had the same issues as me and Im not a mechanic...well Im slowly becoming one, and i have an awesome set of tools.
So today i have been dealing with several things. 1. broke glow plug tip. ..never found it. dont really know what a "pre-chamber "looks like 2 had to remove an injector. 3. testing a glow plug temp sesor... I didnt know where or what it was. I posted a pic for the guy like me who doesnt know where it is. I still dont know how to test it. 4. glow plug relay not cycling. 5 also have my loss of power issue but from the looks of my injector I think they might be getting a little carbon build up on them from my veggie oil mix.....
So anyway lots of issues, lots of threads read and i only commented on 3 or four i think i was being conservative. :razz:

M1008driver

Don't let it get you upset. The mods like functional grouping for when others do a search. I am guilty myself at times.

Another idea is it may not be your gp sensor, but the gp controller card. It is under the dash on the left side of the steering column. CUCV Electric sells them.

Better troubleshoot the gp system as posted above first. I would be worried about that broken gp tip and find it. Maybe do a search for ideas. It seems to me the gp's have to be working to test them.

Did you do the doghead relay mod? It will save your starter, cables and batteries by preventing the starter getting stuck burning them up.

EDIT- Type "broken glow plug tip in 6.2" in YAHOO search. It might scare you.

Last edited:

sksAL

just replaced the fried 0070 gp's(new) with new AC60G's, and new clips, connected the solenoid to correct 12 bus. seems to work fine now. oh, do have a gp button on the dash already, mabey the installer thought the resistor worked to auto-reduce the 24 to 12v. NOT. my gp's can now only get 12v. as for the broke tip, kentuckycucv, a small hose hooked to a shop vac thru the injector opening, or magnet on a string? the motor may just spit it out- and may already have done jusyt that.idk. if every diesel blew up b/c some gp came off in the chamber, tis would be a widespread disaster. im just sayin.

ryan77

If your glow plug breaks off in the head pull the injector and use a magnet tip to get it out! The glow plugs should be 12 volts not 24 volts only the starter is 24 volts Al !!!

Fleg

If your glow plug breaks off in the head pull the injector and use a magnet tip to get it out! The glow plugs should be 12 volts not 24 volts only the starter is 24 volts Al !!!

That's not 100% true. The glow plug relay does get 24V when not energizing the glow plugs but once they are then it drops to 12V due to the resistor.

sksAL

That's not 100% true. The glow plug relay does get 24V when not energizing the glow plugs but once they are then it drops to 12V due to the resistor.
exactly. on my 1028 its plain to see the 24v going into the resistor, then to the solenoid- before i disconnected from that source and went to the 12v bus on the firewall. the resistor was not stepping down the volts. its a done deal now, works like downtown now!:)

sksAL

yep, a magnet, thats what i was thinking. im greatfull i havent had this problem, an old friend of mine who has a trucking co and a 15 truck fleet never has replaced a glowplug on any truck. he plugs them all in- block heaters. im thinking non of the gp on those trucks has ever worked. go figure.

skydog

I cant believe im having such hard time finding this -------------- Put your tools down and step away from the vehicle...

Glowplugs

sksAL

I cant believe im having such hard time finding this -------------- Put your tools down and step away from the vehicle...

Glowplugs

from what i gather, if the system works as its designed, the resistor can fail, then the gp's will get 24v and roast-....at any time. then broken little chunks of gp in the combustion chambers. if im wrong someone please correct me, im liking to be in control with the "button".

skydog

sorry to cause confusion,Im newer to the group and have seen a lot of redirecting to TM's but had a hard time pulling them up till I went to jatonkam and down loaded them there, Im not a great mechanic or great on computer either so I struggle along and use forums a lot with search words ,thanks

sksAL

sorry to cause confusion,Im newer to the group and have seen a lot of redirecting to TM's but had a hard time pulling them up till I went to jatonkam and down loaded them there, Im not a great mechanic or great on computer either so I struggle along and use forums a lot with search words ,thanks
its kool... by the way, what plow set up you have, and hows it work for you? im looking for a plow asap. im thinking a 85 blazer set up, old beat up stuff out there tho.

skydog

Ive always had civy blazers for plowing ,I would love to have a 1009 to plow with .Mine is a old western mounting kit off 70's chevy, I had it on my 83 k-5 it was a bit heavy for it but I used it for years.This 1028 can push with no problem and the front end dont squat down like a 1/2 ton ,but binds up when you turn .

kentuckycucv

Skydog i have found the TMs and I have not really been able to use them well. i cant seem to find exactly what im looking for. seems like I scroll thru hundreds of pages of info but not what Im looking for. I like to post pictures on here to help you guys out. A picture is worth a thousand words and those exploded TM drawings help but I get a little lost at times.