• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

accelerator hing pin

rsites

What's the trick to getting the accelerator hing pin out? When I depress the accelerator, it makes a crackling noise, and will not come back up without manually moving it back. Linkage looks ok, I just want to get this accelerator off and lube the pin it rotates on. Have banged on the pin, with what little clearance there is to get to it, but it doesn't budge. Any idea's? Is there something about the hing pin that would break and cause it to make a crackling noise when I depress the accelerator pedal? The noise is definately in the pedal/hing and not coming from underneath the truck where the linkage is.

steelandcanvas

Can you remove the whole assembly off the floor, and get it to a easier place to work on it? Working on the floor in a Deuce is for the birds. Also, I think I might have an accelerator pedal, if you end up needing one.

airmech3839

I would disconnect the linkage by removing the cotter pin. Then remove the 2 nuts holding down the pedal.(under the floor) That way you can put pedal in a vise or on a solid surface and tap it out. either that or remove the forward doghouse so you have a better angle on the pedal. The pin may have a spot where it was "punched" to prevent inadvertent slippage. If all else fails drill head of pin and use a smaller diameter brill bit and drill through pin about half way and then tap out opposite direction. then replace with bolt and nut or clevis, washer and cotter pin. I have not done any of this but I went out and looked at mine and that is the way I would handle it. Although I would make sure that it is in fact the pedal by first removing linkage and working pedal back and forth. then go from there. There is a spring that pushes the pedal back. The shaft on the IP could be sticking and spring is not allowing the pedal to come back. Or if it is the pedal hinge it is probably corroded.

note: when drilling the pin the purose of drilling down the center is to releave the pressure off the sidewalls and is not meant to be the same size as pin. needs to be maybe 1/2 diameter of pin.

Barrman

Be very careful pushing that pin out. The cast pedal ears will break off if you look at them wrong. At least that has been my experience. I agree with the above. Get the pedal unhooked from the linkage and verify that it is the problem. You will need a helper to get the two hold down bolts out unless you pull the trans cover and reach through.

rsites

Appreciate all the idea's, will unhook the linkage from the back of the pedal first and verify that the pedal itself is the issue. Pretty sure it is. The hing pin at the bottom of the pedal seems to be the source of the creaking and sticking. Anyone ever had to replace just that pin, or is the pedal and pin pretty much one item in this case?

Barrman

I pulled mine from the '52 Gasser M35 apart because it had been sitting for about 20 years and would barely move. That is how I know the ears break off real easy. Both of mine did. Flux cored aluminum rod and a torch fixed it just fine. I should have just bought a new one since I spent about 6-8 hours messing with it. Works great 3 years later though.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had a similar problem. Cleaned dirt and debri from around pedal. Soaked nut and pin down with PB Blaster. Able to get nut off of pin. Kept soaking bolt and rotated. once it started to turn, re-attached nut and tapped gently out. Wire wheeled bolt/pin, gently round filed holder and ears. Lightly greased and reassembled. Been good ever since, about a year. I do periodically douse it with PB now. Good luck!
God bless!
Tony:grin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks