• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Acceptable price for WMO

dc3coyote

Not really on subject but if you get oil contanimated with water, you can exaporate most all of the water with a barrell heater, or another safe source to heat it.
I have used a water heater element to heat one before, worked pretty well but it takes time to get the oil/ water mix hot enough to evaporate the water.

paulfarber

The 275 gallon steel reinforced plastic totes are all over.. I am going to call about 2 of them tomorrow.

I agree that simply pumping oil to my container is the best way to go.. I have a trailer that will fit 1 (275gal x 8lbs/gal = 2200lbs) and a hoist that will do a ton.. so moving a tote around is not a problem.

I would be happy to pay a little more for better quality oil.... and I have been getting some emails.

I don't think I will drive the M35 that much that I would need more than 100-150 gallons a month... because I will still cut it with diesel.

I don't think I will want to get into biodiesel because I only own the M35a2. While there are plenty of farms in my area I don't want to mess with it.

Contact the local oil change places. One here lets me take all I want (that way they don't have to pay to get it hauled off). I just pumpfrom about 1 foot from the top of the tank and that seems to get rid of most junk in the oil. (at least so far)

'48Chevy6

I really don't want to get into the 'free oil' stuff because as mentioned, but could easily cost more to filter the mud, dead mice etc than simply pay a decent price and get good oil (well.. better).

I looked into water testers and they run $200... I was hoping to find a cheap way to get a water % from oil... that way I can tell right there if its worth $1/gallon (which I am happy to pay).
I would much rather pay $25 or so (plus give an empty drum) for a drum of known decent oil than fool around with the unknown liquid debris that ends up in most farmers waste barrels.

Check Amazon for paste used to check fuel tanks for water. Smear it on a stick and dip the tank. Let me know if it works because we have not ordered any yet.

Tim

Billy Bobbed

I have been putting the word out I will take WMO but not getting a soild supply yet.Right now Im able to put 6 gal. a week in,dont want to run out sence I run reg.gas now.A lot of people around here use the WMO to heat with.Might have to pay a buck a gal. still not bad.

'48Chevy6

. . . . . I have just started collecting WMO in a barrel and WVO in another barrel. Do you need to keep them seperate or can you mix it all together? . . .Jim
WVO blended with diesel or RUG can be made to work well.

WMO blended with diesel or RUG (my favorite) work really well.

WVO blended/mixed with WMO is a big no no.

Reports indicate that the WVO/WMO react with each other to form nasty gel stuff. No experience with that, but the reports come from people that I trust.
There are also folks that claim to have success with blending WMO with WVO.
YMMV.

Tim

Preacherboy

All I did was tell the guys at church to give me there oil when they change it, I've gotten plenty enough...plus a 55 gallon drum full!

I also told the UPS man and he drops his off too, unless you burn really large quantities little amounts here and there add up! Also, siphoning the fuel out of the church bus before it gets scrapped goes in the tank too! (I told everyone and they just laughed, they said they never would have thought about getting the fuel out!)

army_nurse

i service 2 small mechanic shops. they give me the oil and i keep a little clean spot for it out back as well as haul off any "scrap" they may have. it a win, win. if my supply of UMO runs low then i have a place that sells it to me for 60 cents a gallon. but i have only had to do that once in the 2 years i have been using UMO in my deuce. i also have a barrell for OTHER fluids for them. i learned the hard way on that one. I bring them something to drink every time i go pick up oil. like i said its a win, win.

hedgehog69

Just getting ready to start using WMO. I have been a dedicated biodiesel homebrewer for 5+ years, but after friend offered me his used oil from his Peterbuilt...I thought I should start blending. I ordered my drum filters....and bag filters few days ago...off of ebay....for a cost about $55.
My plan is to blend with biodiesel...thinking about 25% WMO.

mslogr

Being in the logging industry pays off. We have enough to do us after we cut it with fuel. You guys might contact some of your local loggers. Its getting to exspensive to truck in equipment for oil changes. If you come up with a way to catch it, the average logger would give you the stuff just so he wouldn't have to fool with it.

obee1kubota

550 gallons

I just got 10 once used 55gal drums full of wmo from a small auto repair shop. They were saving it for themselves to use in a waste oil furnace so they kept it real clean and then they realized they did not generate enough to feed the furnace. So I scored the 10 drums and 550 gallons of clean wmo for $400

greenjeepster

Depends on the area of the country... some places shops have to pay to get rid of it... If it has to be trucked a long way to be refined.

Check with your local trucking companies, they may be happy to give it to you. IMO if a guy has a company buying it, he isn't gonna be posting it on craigslist.

Timber

I've thought about this but haven't done it, thought I'd share it here. Big rig fuel tanks mounted on a utility trailer can be used for pickup and storage. If you have a pump too, I'm sure you could find someone to give it to you. Twin 150/gal tanks mounted in an M105 could handle months of fuel in a compact and portable manner.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Used WMO- ATF alternative.

I made a deal with the Local Valvolive 10 minute oil change around the corner to save in separate 55 gallon plastic barrels the used "ATF ONLY", I gave them the barrels. I pay them $60.00 a barrel. Works out to $1.09 a gallon. Hey $1.09 beats $4.00 a gallon. Also I find ATF does not get thick in the cold like wmo and wvo, always stays liquid. I have to pre filter through a triple filter system.

I have only picked up 3 barrels so far and need to go pick up 2 more.

IMHO, I feel the multi fuel works best on pre filtered ATF. They have a service that picks up all the waste oils and they pay them the same as I do. I have been a long term customer so they are doing me a favor.

Just throwing it out there..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks