• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

access panels, what is under them....

parlusk

in the cab of my deuce there are two access panels, one is below the gas petal that is on a hinge and only has one bolt securing it shut the other is about a foot behind the shifter which is just a plate with a bunch of screws around the edges holding it down... the reason why i am wanting to know what is under is i am planning on insulating my cab and need to know if i should leave cut outs for these or just cover them... thanks in advanced

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The hinged one is the M/C cover. I think the one on the doghouse is for a PTO for a dump or something. Let me look at the -10.

BTW, got your package. Gotta box yours up.

Seth_O

one is below the gas petal that is on a hinge and only has one bolt securing it shut
This covers the brake master cylinder. Opening the panel will allow you access to put additional fluid in the master cylinder. You'll need access to it once insulated.

the other is about a foot behind the shifter which is just a plate with a bunch of screws around the edges holding it down...
This is one of the cover plates for the transmission assembly. There are 3 (I think?). You take them all off when you remove/work on the transmission/transfer case or the intermediary shaft between the two.

Good luck with your insulation project.

panshark

hey, not to derail you on an awesome project...what about just some heavy-duty rubber mats to lay down on the floor, that way you've got a bit of insulation factor and vibration dampener, but you won't have to cut on anything, and access can be gained by simply peeling back or lifting out. Also, it would clean up with a hose. Does anyone see anything wrong with this idea?

parlusk

hey, not to derail you on an awesome project...what about just some heavy-duty rubber mats to lay down on the floor, that way you've got a bit of insulation factor and vibration dampener, but you won't have to cut on anything, and access can be gained by simply peeling back or lifting out. Also, it would clean up with a hose. Does anyone see anything wrong with this idea?

if i was restoring the deuce to its original birth i would go with that but i am trying to make it as comfortable as possible and hold the best heat/air that i can

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
[QUOTE=parlusk;723844]in the cab of my deuce there are two access panels, one is below the gas petal that is on a hinge and only has one bolt securing it shut the other is about a foot behind the shifter which is just a plate with a bunch of screws around the edges holding it down... the reason why i am wanting to know what is under is i am planning on insulating my cab and need to know if i should leave cut outs for these or just cover them... thanks in advanced[/QUOTE]

From this FIRST post, it sounds like that you have NEVER checked your M/C fluid level, what happened to your PRE-TRIP INSPECTION or even a general operational inspection. I really hate to say this because I don't like it when others do, but in this case I will, READ the -10 TM "OPERATORS MANUAL"before someone gets hurt or killed because of NO BRAKES

Last edited:

parlusk

[QUOTE=parlusk;723844]in the cab of my deuce there are two access panels, one is below the gas petal that is on a hinge and only has one bolt securing it shut the other is about a foot behind the shifter which is just a plate with a bunch of screws around the edges holding it down... the reason why i am wanting to know what is under is i am planning on insulating my cab and need to know if i should leave cut outs for these or just cover them... thanks in advanced
From this FIRST post, it sounds like that you have NEVER checked your M/C fluid level, what happened to your PRE-TRIP INSPECTION or even a general operational inspection. I really hate to say this because I don't like it when others do, but in this case I will, READ the -10 TM "OPERATORS MANUAL"before someone gets hurt or killed because of NO BRAKES[/QUOTE]

i have had my truck from a little over 10 days and i have not driven it further than around town, which i live in a very very small town, so i am trying to learn the ropes.

AceHigh

Oh, come on Ron, give him a break (pun intended!). He has just had the truck for a few days, and I did the whole pre-trip for him. I checked the master cylinder, it needed very little fluid, I gave him a pint of DOT5, and I wrote up the results of the whole pre-trip, including all fluids, air pressures and so on. I also let him know that the brake fluid has been steady for several months, so there is no leak. I went over brake lines and they are fine, I let him know that too.

He is working hard at getting to know his new toy. Maybe not fast enough for some here, but I am very impressed with all he is doing. Keep up the good work Justin (Parlusk). He is good people.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Because someone (you) did a pre-trip does not mean that you DO NOT need to KNOW at least where the MC is, because there was NO leak yesterday, DOES NOT mean there is not one today, I would guess the buying of the deuce was NOT a spare of the moment decision, why not get or at least READ the TM-10 so as to be prepared for your new to you MV when it arrives. From some of the threads that have been posted lately, it is starting to look like a good number are buying MVs with really NO idea of the care and feeding of the beast "WOW, it looks COOL, I went one" then go buy one and drive it

10 days and still does not know where the M/c is ??????????????

SORRY about my RANT, but by NOT reading and learning BEFORE someone takes a MV out on the road is how people get hurt and killed which is NOT GOOD for the whole MV world

Last edited:

panshark

so what kinds of materials are you thinking about using to insulate your cab with? Anyone else done any home-spun cab insulating jobs without having their brake master cylinder fail and killing a bunch of people?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good points Ron.

I learned the how to use the TMs and read them all a few times, before I bought my first truck. It was very rewarding. It still pays dividends today. Kenny gave me a simple explanation of how to use them. It was priceless.

I also read many recovery and repair threads. I actually read every thread on the site, from day 1 of the site.

When I went to get my first deuce, it was like doing something I had done before. Knowledge is power![thumbzup]

Steamynachos

When I first got my truck it had the original insulation under the hood and in the cab. The stuff under the hood was glued into the hood and was just a soft 1 inch thick black foam with a rubber coating like a floor mat glued to the outside of it. The same stuff was glued to the floor of the truck does this stuff work yes a little BUT here is the kicker it holds and traps moisture ! this is bad big time the foam soaks up water and rusts out everything and even starts to grow moss and mold under the mat. it even soaked up moisture under the hood mat and started to rust the hood from the inside i have pin holes on the hood from this. The roof is insulated with the kind of foam with a vinyl covering with all the little holes in it to absorb sound. It kinda works but the same problem of moisture as the roof now has some holes growing in it. Since its glued in it is a pain to remove but also the only way to keep it from sagging or bunching up under the pedals DANGEROUS !
We need something that can easily be removed but yet not move on the floor.

ppl not knowing what there doing just dosent only apply to first time deuce or other mvs drivers /owners . if you have been on the road lately you know what im talking about . cell phones .texing while driving . runing cruse controle on wet/ icy roads etc.

steelandcanvas

From some of the threads that have been posted lately, it is starting to look like a good number are buying MVs with really NO idea of the care and feeding of the beast "WOW, it looks COOL, I went one" then go buy one and drive it.
Couldn't have said it better myself Ron, and I would not apologize for the rant. I knew where this thread was going as soon as Justin mentioned "what was under the access panels". While I wouldn't entirely fault Justin, I think he really needs to grab the bull by the horns and get ahold of a -10, either on CD or hardcopy and study.

panshark

sorry for being snyde, but the thread was getting off-track pretty quick, blaming a new buyer (we've all been new before) for not knowing how to check a fluid before driving a maintained truck to his house. He might not have even done his own pre-trip at all yet, if he had an experienced brother do the pre-trip during the recovery. He might not have driven it yet after making the initial trip. A parked truck isn't as dangerous as a moving truck, and an unasked question is far more dangerous to our hobby than an answered question.2cents

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
POST #9
I have had my truck from a little over 10 days and i have not driven it further than around town, which i live in a very very small town, so i am trying to learn the ropes.

PANSHARK--"sorry for being snyde, but the thread was getting off-track pretty quick, blaming a new buyer (we've all been new before) for not knowing how to check a fluid before driving a maintained truck to his house. He might not have even done his own pre-trip at all yet, if he had an experienced brother do the pre-trip during the recovery. He might not have driven it yet after making the initial trip. A parked truck isn't as dangerous as a moving truck, and an unasked question is far more dangerous to our hobby than an answered question.2cents "

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks