• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Accidental M35

mbwarner

Thanks to Emmado for putting me onto this site.

Accidently bought a truck from GL at Fort Lewis, WA back in July. I was finally able to bring it home yesterday.

This truck, 88K221, is typical of the 88K series described elsewhere on this forum--hard cab, heater, drop side bed, extra labels on dash.

The bonus of the whole deal was that, in the glove box was the service record, complete with packing list for the truck, shipped from South Bend to Portland OR in December 1988, the shipment manifest that lists all five trucks in the shipment, and service records from 1989 to June 2005 (4804 miles), and the surplus turn-in document.

I bought this truck with 4874 miles and 189 hours on it. It needed nothing for the trip home. Not even a light bulb. It even had a third of a tank of diesel.

Attachments

DanMartin

Most Excellent!

Another USAF truck? :) Another 88K in Oregon! :) YAY!

Does it have the serial numbers for all 5 in that list? I wonder...mine lived at Mt. Home AFB in Idaho...close to Portland (my hometown).

mbwarner

Other trucks on DDFORM 1348-0108 dated 12/9/88, Portland OR

REG # Serial # Gov't B/l #
88K279 1040-11195 C-8,292,615
88K259 1040-11166 C-8,292,615

88K228 1040-11115 C-8,292,616
88K240 1040-11135 C-8,292,616

88K221 1040-11103 C-8,292,617

jasonjc

Can one of you guys with an '87-'88 model send me a pic of the plates around the map box?? I need to find the right data plates and stuff for mine. They took all of those plate off my truck for some reason :? :x .

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The plates are your basic M35A2C plates, on every other truck out there.. The only "special" one is the blue warrantee plate, which I havent seen on any other trucks, or for sale elsewhere....

wsucougarx

I was eyeballing your truck last Tuesday when I went to look a nasty rusty deuce that ended last Thursday. Your truck is outstanding. The only issue I saw were the rusty windshield frame and that's it. Your paperwork folder was sitting on the seat when I looked at her. I put it in the glovebox in hopes that whoever picked their truck, also got their paperwork. I don't think I have ever seen a cleaner engine. Great pick. I have to admit. I was hoping this truck was going to be relisted:) Good pick

mbwarner

Cougarx, thanks for looking out for my paperwork.

The first accident was thinking that at GL you can't see what something sold for unless you're a bidder, so I flung a lowball bid out, certain that the truck would go for half again or more what I was bidding. Also thinking if it was as good as it's pics and description, someone who could actually go inspect it would snap it up.

When $2100+ buyer's premium bought it, I went in to ohmigawd-nobody-wanted-it-what's-wrong-with-it mode. I seriously considered defaulting on the EUC, and paying the 25% penalty. I finally decided that since I was already down the 25%, the difference between truck and no truck was really $1700, so I went for it.

The second accident was finding the paperwork Cougarx hid out for me, and finding documentation proving the milage under 5,000.

Needless to say, when I saw the truck in person, and then again when I hit the starter, I was as giddy as a guy in middle geezerhood can get without hurting himself.

Normally, I wouldn't post a price, but I want to encourage other "budget minded" folks out there to take a chance.

I look forward to spending time on this site, and thank you all for the warm welcome.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Wow, I wish I had accidents like that! Well, I accidentally bought four CUCVs recently, but they aren't nearly as nice as your new deuce. Congratulations on getting a great truck at a bargain price!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks