• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ACH-47A Chinook

tommys2patrick

The Chinook has had a very long and distinguished service record. Still serving today. The more famous Spookies are the c 47 (DC 3) aka Puff the Magic Dragon or the C 130, but the CH 47 had some "Death from Above" mods as well.

BudMan

"GunsaGoGo" was the call sign of the armed Chinooks in VN. When they were first assigned in country as a test, they were assigned to my battalion, the 11th Combat Aviation Battalion, at Phu Loi. Later, they were transferred north to the 1st Cavalry. There were only four aircraft and only one survived the war. You can read more about them at the GunsaGoGo website

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
"GunsaGoGo" was the call sign of the armed Chinooks in VN. When they were first assigned in country as a test, they were assigned to my battalion, the 11th Combat Aviation Battalion, at Phu Loi. Later, they were transferred north to the 1st Cavalry. There were only four aircraft and only one survived the war. You can read more about them at the GunsaGoGo website

Links:

http://gunsagogo.org/

http://228th.org/gogo.htm

tommys2patrick

I enjoy and am inspired by the "American Aviation Historical Society" journals. Volume 22, Number 1, Spring of 1977, has an interesting article about Lindbergh and his Minnesota speeches and flights after his 1927 crossing flight. Very distinguished society members including Lt. General J.H. Doolittle.

TachedOutOffRoad

47s are beastly. The new F models have nearly 10,000hp.

Roberts Ridge is a good book about Afghanistan and shows the roles that only 47s could play there. A few MH-47s went down at what is the highest elevation battle/ firefight ever fought in modern times.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks