• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Acquired a M35A3

SHBENNETT

Acquired a M35A3 - Where to sell it?

Is this a fair Price?

M35A3 Truck, Cargo: 2-1/2-Ton, 6X6 (Diesel) m35a2 hmmwv - eBay (item 260690286635 end time Nov-20-10 18:30:00 PST)

Where would be the best place to sell a M35? Anyone delt with them on ebay? Anyone purchased or sold one?

I guess the buyers arent really skimming ebay much for them....

Hello,
Just picked up a M35A3 reading 85 hours and 600 miles. The vehicle had various paperwork inside labeling the truck "Training Unit" and "Not for Dispatch", so I have reason to believe the odometer and hour meter are correct. I've had a mechanic go through the injectors, check compression, and change all fluids to ensure hazard free operation, as the military stored the truck for several years with little use. The CAT 3116 operates flawlessly, runs cool, has no leaks or odd noises. Generally speaking, I've been very happy with the performance so far.

1st Question:
The transmission fluid and filter (external) have been replaced and the dipstick reads proper fluid amount. However, I'm confused to why the truck's 1st gear shift point occurs at such high RPM (around 2700). This seems a bit high and I'm wondering if the transmission needs to be inspected further. The shift to 3rd occurs at around 2000 RPM, and 4th around 2300RPM. These shift points seem more reasonable.

2nd Question:
The CTIS module display jumps back and forth between "Manifold Presure 0psi" and "Manifold Presure 1psi" The truck has one tire that tire that slowly goes flat, the others hold. I was hoping the CTIS would take care of this, inflating the tire, once I started it up and selected Highway, but this is not the case. Does this CTIS read out sound familiar to anyone?

3rd Question:
So how hard should the steering be if the air assist is working properly? Should it compare to normal power steering, or be quite a bit more difficult to steer? Mine is still fairly hard to steer even with the assist. Im thinkin this might have something to do with the CTIS low manifold pressure? When sitting still, it's just about all I can do to turn it from side to side with both hands. I'm 6'2", 200lbs. Also, the bump steer will take your thumbs off if you're not carefull. This said, I'm thinking I might have a problem with the steering assist. Any ideas or things to check first?

Thanks for any insight.

Cheers.

Attachments

Last edited:

AceHigh

I used to drive a school bus and the shift points in mine seem very similar. Congrats on your new ride! Training purposes might have meant that it was used to train future mechanics.

lonegunman

The front looks like somebody flattened it a little?

The shift points seem about right, mine has a higher first gear shift than second, third and fourth are smooth. It downshifts smoother if you are stopping a bit slower and with less brakes.

SHBENNETT

The front looks like somebody flattened it a little?
Yeah, it looked like something either backed into it, or it was driven under something. Fortunately none of the mechanical equipment was damaged. The body has since been repaired.

The shift points seem about right, mine has a higher first gear shift than second, third and fourth are smooth. It downshifts smoother if you are stopping a bit slower and with less brakes.
Really, wow 2,700 RPM seems high to shift out of first gear. That's where the tach stops after all. You're right about the downshift. Guess I'll roll with it.

Last edited:

ClarkeF

Your CTIS system has a leak - the display is telling you that it's unable to pressurize the distribution manifold. You need to track down the leak. One way it to hook a supply of 110psi air to your emergency glad-hand, and with the engine off, but ignition on, cycle the CTIS system and listen for where is escaping.

Enjoy your A3!

Clarke

Heavysteven

I not adding much here. But every time I read about an A3 I get all excited. I think they look great and are awesome. Love that CAT 3116. Some day I will own one. With or without my wifes permission.

AceHigh

So you're saying if this is the case, it is still possible for the other 5 tires to remain inflated?
I just replaced the manifold on the CTIS today and to my surprise the tires are isolated from the manifold! You can disconnect any or all axles from the CTIS and not lose any air. It was great to hear it fire up for the first time tonight.

lonegunman

Yeah, it looked like something either backed into it, or it was driven under something. Fortunately none of the mechanical equipment was damaged. The body has since been repaired.

Really, wow 3,000 RPM seems high to shift out of first gear. That's where the tach stops after all. You're right about the downshift. Guess I'll roll with it.

3,000 is about a 100rpm higher than the engine will normally rev. I'd get that checked. 2,700 is the max rpm according to tech data and it should shift there or below. A3's are not like A2's, you don't have to flatten the gas pedal to get rolling then shift.

AceHigh

If it is shifting too high, I think an Allison dealer can re-program the shifting points by manipulating the springs in the valve body. I am told they even have a machine to help do it.

SHBENNETT

3,000 is about a 100rpm higher than the engine will normally rev. I'd get that checked. 2,700 is the max rpm according to tech data and it should shift there or below. A3's are not like A2's, you don't have to flatten the gas pedal to get rolling then shift.
Thanks lonegunman. After putting a few more miles on it, the transmission as started shifting a bit more regular, but still shifts slightly over 2,500 RPM. Is this okay?

Even if it is okay, it bothers me to have to push the engine that high every time I want to accelerate. If it's not under a load, why would the manufacture have the shift points set so high? That said, no matter how I try to manipulate the acceleration, the shift points stay about the same.

I like the idea of reconfiguring the Allison to set the shift points lower. The Cat 3116 seems to have more than enough low end torque to handle a 1,500 RPM shift point when operating without load.

That would be similar to where my dodge diesel shifts. Sure seems like a lot less stress on the engine and trans.

Last edited:

Kohburn

could be to help prevent lugging the engine at low rpms after the shift.

what rpm does it drop down to after the shift?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks