• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Across The Olympic Mountains

aleigh

Traveled across the southern part of the Olympic mountains this weekend, did some camping and shooting. Would have been reeeeaaal nice if I had gotten my VIC-3 cables made by this trip, we had to keep shouting at one another. Should get them sorted out this week or next though. Come to think of it, I don't know why I didn't temporarily install the VIC-1 I have laying around. doh!

Went uneventfully enough, except for taking a stone in the windshield. So now I need a new one... sigh.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/adventioneering/sets/72157670200782226/with/27931761965/

Last edited:

aleigh

Not bad. They came for us a bit when we first got to camp and cleared out when we got a fire going. In my experience the mosquito are pretty localized out here. They are bad when they are bad, but if you move over there, they aren't. I've seen patches around swampy alpine lakes where it seems like they could desiccate a dog or small child.

Another Ahab

Not bad. They came for us a bit when we first got to camp and cleared out when we got a fire going. In my experience the mosquito are pretty localized out here. They are bad when they are bad, but if you move over there, they aren't. I've seen patches around swampy alpine lakes where it seems like they could desiccate a dog or small child.
I hear you talking, Brother.

I used to do some wilderness canoeing summers in Quebec way back. And you would get yourself religion if you weren't closed up before sundown when the swarms came out; clouds of them.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Beautiful pics as always. I do get homesick for the NW. The missus and I were camping in the Olympics Jul 4 weekend 1996. We drove in to town to watch the original Independence Day and then back to our tent. Good times and 20 hard years ago.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like others have said, nice photos! Never been to the great NW..............Maybe someday................Thanks for sharing

aleigh

Outstanding! You were in my neck of the woods. I live in Montesano and frequent the Wynoochee Valley Road for my freezer meat needs.
That sir is some excellent country. I've been kicking around the idea of moving out in that direction.

There was a big school of trout looking absolutely delicious hanging out in the river feeding into the lake, where the bridge to all the campsites is. I need to get back there with a rod sometime. Forgot my packraft also so I didn't get to float the lake, which is on my TODO list. Also not mentioned in the photos is we failed to get down to the Simpson train wreck... Got about halfway down the death-trail into the canyon and someone had snagged the rappel ropes, and I hadn't brought any (doh). Next time.

And thanks everyone for the kind words about the photos.

Amer-team

We have pondered on doing a long week end, Loop ride (convoy). Take the tents and have a slow weekend, maybe ending up at the military campground at Pacific. Too many events going on. Glad someone got to do it.

wsucougarx

I think a nice convoy would be to start at Montesano. Head down the Wynoochee Valley Road to the Wynoochee Dam. Then head west across the Peninsula via Donkey Creek Road (logging road) to 101 along the coast. Lots of beautiful timberland and valleys to be seen.

Another Ahab

That sir is some excellent country. I've been kicking around the idea of moving out in that direction.

There was a big school of trout looking absolutely delicious hanging out in the river feeding into the lake, where the bridge to all the campsites is. I need to get back there with a rod sometime. Forgot my packraft also so I didn't get to float the lake, which is on my TODO list. Also not mentioned in the photos is we failed to get down to the Simpson train wreck... Got about halfway down the death-trail into the canyon and someone had snagged the rappel ropes, and I hadn't brought any (doh). Next time..
I used to do some rock-climbing, and I'm not telling you what to do:

- But I would hesitate to use a rope whose condition was uncertain (and especially one that has been hanging out in the weather for who knows how long). That's your life-and-limb you're gambling (but maybe there's a missing piece here to the story that I'm not getting).

PS- If you have to rappel in:

- How do you get back up the rock face to get OUT? Jumars?

Last edited:

srodocker

You coming to the PNW Campout?

Lets get a campout organized to go do that convoy Mike!! aka wsucougar! Setup a date and im there!

Your pictures are freaking amazing!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks