• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AcuTemp Refrigerator

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That isn't likely to exist as a ready to buy part. You'll need to take a DC cable and put a connector on it.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've done a lot of testing around the house and they perform very well. My summer camping plans were canceled due to work commitments so I've not been able to do a real test and enjoy some chocolate ice cream next to the lake. :)

joeblack5

I managed to snap a photo of the label on the compressor. It is a Danoss 101Z0200.

The attached datasheet for the compressor indicates the capacity of the compressor. The values I've recorded are within the reasonable range of what you would expect for this unit.

That is the same as the Danfoss BD35F compressor, Same compressor as used in 12 volt fridges as engel, norcold. The three phase permanent magnet design of these motors is more efficient then the normal 120VAC split phase or capacitor motors.
That helps twofold that the unit uses less electricity but also that it is more efficient because it does not partially cools down its own motor.

For higher efficiency there are stirling coolers using helium . APEX in NC had envirocool, medical coolers for sale at the local goodwill. for about $125.
There is a freezer unit that uses the same technology and looks the same under the name global cooling. They even have a super cooling unit that uses vacuum insulation plates.. ..... Not military but space craft technology....
Thnaks for the tests Chris.
Later J

lonesouth

Anyone interested in something like this, look into Engle, ARB(made by Engle), and Dometic. I bought a 50qt ARB when my wife wanted to get a chest freezer, and it has served us well. I ran it in my 4runner and my Sears Diehard Platinum(same as Odyssey) would run it for 2 days before drained. They all run on 12v or 120v. The ability to give out rock hard ice cream sandwiches while out on the trail in summer heat is fantastic!

None of these are cheap, so keep that in mind when shopping. The ARB also claim to be engineered for the jolts of offroading, but they are still built by Engle, so that may just be marketing.

rustystud

Anyone interested in something like this, look into Engle, ARB(made by Engle), and Dometic. I bought a 50qt ARB when my wife wanted to get a chest freezer, and it has served us well. I ran it in my 4runner and my Sears Diehard Platinum(same as Odyssey) would run it for 2 days before drained. They all run on 12v or 120v. The ability to give out rock hard ice cream sandwiches while out on the trail in summer heat is fantastic!

None of these are cheap, so keep that in mind when shopping. The ARB also claim to be engineered for the jolts of offroading, but they are still built by Engle, so that may just be marketing.
I haven't found any "Civilian" freezers that can handle the rough use of the "AcuTemp" . They are actually designed for rough use. Maybe some manufacture will design one for civilian use.

lonesouth

I'd guess the ARB is as good as you'll find to compare. There are a plethora of threads on Expedition Portal, but you're right, they aren't built nearly as tough as the AcuTemp. I only posted so those who wanted an option for something to add to their rig would be aware.

Last edited:

rustystud

I'd guess the ARB is as good as you'll find to compare. There are a plethora of threads on Expedition Portal, but you're right, they aren't built nearly as tough as the AcuTemp. I only posted so those who wanted an option for something to add to their rig would be aware.
Yes the "AcuTemps" are spendy units, and if you need a freezer but cannot afford the "AcuTemp" then the "ARB" brand would be a good choice.

69birdman

I read somewhere that you can put casters on theses, has anyone found any that fit? How many had to replace the batterys? I'm itching to see these things, I'm a little upset that I can't pick mine up for 2 more weeks yet. Ft. Bragg, 1 day a week ,for a few hours, Sucks!:shock:

69birdman

Has anyone replaced their batterys with the 22AH batterys ?

I've got an Acutemp fridge as well! Ordered new 22ah batteries from Amamzon for about $87.00 (for two).

How did those batterys fit and work out for you? I just picked up a pair of them, work great but batterys are weak.
20181024_080632.jpg20181024_085019.jpg20181024_101818.jpg20181024_224559.jpg

Last edited:

rustystud

Has anyone replaced their batterys with the 22AH batterys ?

I've got an Acutemp fridge as well! Ordered new 22ah batteries from Amamzon for about $87.00 (for two).

How did those batterys fit and work out for you? I just picked up a pair of them, work great but batterys are weak.
View attachment 746363View attachment 746364View attachment 746365View attachment 746366
I wanted to get two freezer units too. Just couldn't come up with the cash at the time. Now you can have one as a freezer and the other as a fridge.

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Subscribed..great info, details and test results

Getting ready to replace all batteries, and was curious how these replacements are working for you. Has anyone gone for larger amp/hr batteries.

Also, does anyone have the interface cable= looks like a VGA style connector that plugs into the upper control panel.

Figured I also would post up serial number and where you picked up [if known], as i dont see that information being tracked.

7417-Picked up from Columbus Ohio

Last edited:

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to replace my batteries but I haven't yet since its not camping season here. I'll share what I find out when I do. I may go with some lithium batteries though since I have a bunch. Not as simple as the SLA batts since the lithium need a controller to keep them from catching fire.

The connector is a standard serial interface. You can download the logs from the units with it. You have to use the software that comes with it. I've been able to download the data from the units I have. You just need a serial to USB adapter. Finding one that fits the space around the connector on the unit is a bit tricky. You need to get the smallest one you can find.

Did you get the software CD with yours?

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, a 3 CD set, 2 cables-110, 220v, screw driver, service manual, filters,

Powers up, switches between idle and freeze, but i have 2 red led.s on..and it indicates one battery missing. I checked volts, and one is flat lined and the other appears to be coming up.

Thanks..will look around for a connector

Last edited:

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you are on the right track. I would recommend taking the batteries out to charge them. If something happens and they vent you don't want that to happen inside the unit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks