• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Add Winch to M923

Dmaxcc6spd

Has anyone added a winch to an M923 truck? What parts are involved? Are the parts hard to find? How much work is it?

Thanks for any feedback.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I personally think you will be better off finding an M925. It is possible that you'll find a kit cheaply. With that said, my experience when looking for a winch kit (that I did not buy, by the way) was that they run in the $1200-1500 range. I am not sure all of the parts that you'll need, but at a minimum the kit involves: the winch, frame extensions, hydraulic hoses, hydraulic tank, PTO, and controls for the cab. Where you might luck out is with CSMDAVIS. He has parted out quite a few trucks and he may have a complete winch kit. I'd PM him...or, failing that, just look for an M925 and have one of each!

91W350

Are you lucky enough to have one of the M923s that have the controls and hydraulics already in place? I think they were originally 925s that had the winches pulled. Some of them have 923 data plates.

Dmaxcc6spd

I have not yet acquired a truck. I found someone who wants to partner with me, but he would prefer a winch truck. They seem to be harder to find and I would prefer to acquire from somewhere reasonably close to home.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Pretty sure I have the pto you would need. DH might have the winch. You'd still need frame exts., the hyd motor, and the pump though.

91W350

I had a rancher today tell me that the Allisons have to be set up for a PTO, not all Allisons have the internal drive gear gear. It does not make sense to me, looks like they would all be set up to drive a PTO. At any rate, maybe somebody who knows will chime in. Glen

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a rancher today tell me that the Allisons have to be set up for a PTO, not all Allisons have the internal drive gear gear. It does not make sense to me, looks like they would all be set up to drive a PTO. At any rate, maybe somebody who knows will chime in. Glen

Glen, I don't know that this is false, but I believe it to be. I have never heard of different Allisons for this series. I suppose it is possible that you learn something new everyday. I will await confirmation, but my initial thought is your intel is incorrect as you suspect.

hummerjohn

Your info is half correct. All Allison MT654 as used in 900 series, MT653 and MT643 have the gear to drive a PTO but not all AT545 as used in M35A3 and other civilian trucks have the drive gear. Also not all overdrive 1000,2000,2200,2400 and 2500 series have drive gears

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The winch that John is offering is fair value, but that also makes my point...buy the whole truck from him!

mattburgey

I would be interested in seeing some pictures of the 4000 dollar 925 been wating to upgrade to a 5 ton for quite a while.

Last edited:

jesusgatos

Was looking for information about what adding a winch to an M939 would entail and this is one of the only threads I was able to find. Is it as straightforward as sourcing and installing all those components? No special transmissions or any other deal-breakers? Prices atill around $1500 for complete winch conversion kits?

Gunzy

I just bought a complete parts truck(M932A2) just for the winch and a few other parts. Planning to start working on the switch over at the end of September.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks