• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Added a Warn 18000 lb winch to my Deuce

I just purchased my non-winch M35 in December, and went back and forth on trying to decide which type of winch to install. After a lot of reading on here, I decided to go the electric route.

I looked at what options and ideas are out there for extending the front bumper. One online retailer sells a mount kit for the Warn winch, but is somewhere around $800, more than I was willing to spend. There are several threads on here that show how guys have mounted theirs, then I found some pics posted by Steve6x6x6. I thought his mounting method was a great idea and modeled what I did after him.

I made some measurements and found a local steel fabricator shop to bend up the steel frame pieces I needed since I don't have the tools to do it myself. The overall extension of the bumper is 13", which left me with a 2" clearance between the winch and the radiator guard.

Cost for me was as follows:

2 pieces of 5/16" plate bent to 7 3/8 out to out and 22 1/2" long
2 pieces of 5/16" plate bent to 8" out to out and 13" long
1 piece of 3/8" plate 32 5/8" wide x 16 1/2" deep, with a 4" bend on the rear (had to modify the 2 corner at bottom of bent plate to clear the frame radius)
2 pieces of 3/8" plate 4" wide x 16 1/2" long (had to cut down shorter once in place, this was used to reinforce where the winch bolts to the larger horz plate)

Total cost of steel and bending/shearing to size was $205
15' of red and 15' of black 2/0 welding wire (actually used about 12' of each) $90
Battery connectors, couplers, heat shrink for 2/0 wire about $20 with spares
A crimper that you use a hammer with was about $20
Bolts and nuts (can't remember) I'll just say $40
Paint and primer about $20
Winch with remote, cable, and tensioner, including shipping $822

Total cost was about $1220 plus a couple days the last few weekends.

I had access to a plasma cutter (which I learned I suck at, should of just used a torch since it was my first time using a plasma), a welder, and brought a magnetic slugger drill home from work to drill the holes.

Attachments

dawico

Looks very good.

I will have a winch someday for my 5 ton and that would look great.

Any provisions for winching to the rear?

Nice job! How does it pull?
Since I completed installation a week ago, I haven't had a chance to get stuck yet...

It snowed 10-12" here today, so went out this afternoon and messed around a bit. I hooked up to a large dead tree and pulled it from its resting spot pretty easily. It pulls very slowly, but didn't bog down any. Pulling on the cable to free wheel it out I found to be pretty tough, especially in the snow. The long remote cable for these is nice to have.

Attachments

Hainebd

I hope you never use it top pull yourself out unless you want to get stuck. Last deuce I saw stuck was bobbed on 53 down to the frame. A D9 tried but no go. Brought in a super wrecker. Did a 90 pull off back end of D9 with snatch blocks. The truck came but back axle stayed. It was hung up on a stump. Took two days and $1,000 tow plus $130 in fines. My sugestion is "Don't Get Stuck". Get a couple of snatch blocks, slings, shackles, shovel, land anchor and the kitchen sink. I use mine for work mostly. Have fun

I hope you never use it top pull yourself out unless you want to get stuck. Last deuce I saw stuck was bobbed on 53 down to the frame. A D9 tried but no go. Brought in a super wrecker. Did a 90 pull off back end of D9 with snatch blocks. The truck came but back axle stayed. It was hung up on a stump. Took two days and $1,000 tow plus $130 in fines. My sugestion is "Don't Get Stuck". Get a couple of snatch blocks, slings, shackles, shovel, land anchor and the kitchen sink. I use mine for work mostly. Have fun
Yikes, that sounds like a terrible time for that Deuce owner. I hope I never find myself in a situation like that, and really doubt I will. I would think a D6 would about tear one of these in half (let alone a D9 like you used) unless they had poor footing as well and were just spinning themselves.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.... Pulling on the cable to free wheel it out I found to be pretty tough, especially in the snow. ....
The Garwood PTO winch is a beast and wrestling the cable once or twice (or all day!) will have any sane person think twice about un-spooling often.

Congrats on the install and thanks for the photos.

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks