• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Added coolant filter and flushed radiator today'

2Deuces wild

Yes I broke down and bought the filter kit and install it today. I got the kit and coolant at a Napa store in Santa Clarita Ca. When i got home I found that they had given me Coolant for cars and light trucks. I called the Napa store in Lancaster Ca and asked the if it was OK to use this antifreeze, Richard the Parts guy said No way. He had Fleet guard with additives already added and is formulated for heavy Diesel engines. He informed me that not all Napa stores are created Equal. Thanks Richard for the help. I will know next time just to go to the Lancaster store first. PS my new 105 cup holder works great.:grin:

Attachments

Nonotagain

Nice clean looking installation.:-D

If I may, you should probably look into getting some 90 degree fittings and install them between the heater core and the hoses going to the filter kit.

This will keep the hoses from crimping themselves off due to the weight of the hoses.

I also like the front mounted pintle, very nice.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yeah, nice! I'm now going to have to find some 105 lunettes to mount on my dash. The list never stops growing!

rat4spd

Just a note, those 1/2" ball valves which look like Menards, Home Depot, ect, might not be"Full Port" valves. The flow is rather restricted compared to a full port valve which costs about twice as much. Look at the two through the valve and you'll see. Your valve has about half the area passage as a full port.

Of course you live in Cali, so you aren't losing out on any heat with the heater, so it isn't a big deal.

Here's a pic of a meuller full port. Look at the thickness of the center compared to the ones you have. That's to get the larger ball in there.

http://shopping.aol.com/forged-brass-full-port-ball-valve-fip/30571389

Last edited:

2Deuces wild

You are right home depot special. but it doesn't get that cold here and as far as i can tell the heater gets really hot after the engine warms up. ouch. that burns.

Jake0147

Remove the lower radiator hose, and the purpose will become quite evident. Sand, silt, sludge, rust...
Very common on engines with a longer life span than standard automotive engines.
Search this forum, you will find some good pictures of the sludge and someone cut one open to demonstrate the crud that it had picked up.

randyscycle

Most heavy trucks and large diesel engines use coolant system filters for the reason that Jake mentioned. They are designed to run and last far longer than standard automotive systems. That and the capacities are so much larger that contamination is more of an issue due to more surface area in the cooling system.

Actually, if every vehicle had a coolant filter and it along with the coolant was changed regularly, I'd bet there would be a lot less water pump and radiator failures.

2Deuces wild

Yes I ran it in line with the heater. I don't use the heater that much and it never gets that cold here in Souther Kalifornia.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks