• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ADDICTED ... Careful how ya bid...

anthkey

sooo ... In previewing all the neat stuff going up for auction, I threw a "PLACE PRIORITY BID" out on a [h=1]1992 AM General M998 HMMWV 2 Door Soft Top w/Truck Body ... for $5000[/h]View attachment 695532

but wile watching the stuff get sold, I start bidding on another.....

[h=1]1992 AM General M998 HMMWV 2 Door Soft Top w/Truck Body[/h]View attachment 695533

Well lo and behold I win the bid..... then comes the other one an hour later, and no one went $5100...
So my wife is loving it...NOT....lolololo... she is a trooper though, "Everything Happens for a reason"...she say's

so, here is the question to ya'll...
why would the same year, same model, have the base sticker that GovPlanet puts on it , so much price difference?

41 p.jpg
34p.jpg

hangarhermit

Steel Soldiers Supporter
sooo ... In previewing all the neat stuff going up for auction, I threw a "PLACE PRIORITY BID" out on a 1992 AM General M998 HMMWV 2 Door Soft Top w/Truck Body ... for $5000

View attachment 695532

but wile watching the stuff get sold, I start bidding on another.....

1992 AM General M998 HMMWV 2 Door Soft Top w/Truck Body

View attachment 695533

Well lo and behold I win the bid..... then comes the other one an hour later, and no one went $5100...
So my wife is loving it...NOT....lolololo... she is a trooper though, "Everything Happens for a reason"...she say's

why would the same year, same model, have the base sticker that GovPlanet puts on it , so much price difference?

View attachment 695534
View attachment 695535
I have reviewed hundreds of M998 listings with that NSN number and that is the first M998 I have seen with "$34,735" listed as the cost each. I would be interested in hearing as well. What are the GP item listing numbers?

anthkey

I have reviewed hundreds of M998 listings with that NSN number and that is the first M998 I have seen with "$34,735" listed as the cost each. I would be interested in hearing as well. What are the GP item listing numbers?
I just got off the phone with GovPlanet about the difference... Clueless ...

here they are....

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Price depends on what contract the trucks were ordered under, and the value of that contract. With vehicles, aircraft, etc, the contract amount is divided up by the number of vehicles in that contract to get the "per item" cost, which may not even remotely reflect what the real price is.

Say a contract is let for 10 trucks, and the total is $100,000. The asset tag will say each truck cost $10,000 (1/10 of $100,000). But if the contract is for 10 of those same trucks, plus $50,000 worth of spare parts, $25,000 worth of specialized tools and machinery, and training for personnel to use it (we'll say another $25,000), that contract is now worth $200,000. But they still only got 10 trucks, so each one will have an asset tag that says $20,000 (1/10 of $200,000). They still paid the same for each one, but that's not how they count the beans. :roll:

Cheers

anthkey

Price depends on what contract the trucks were ordered under, and the value of that contract. With vehicles, aircraft, etc, the contract amount is divided up by the number of vehicles in that contract to get the "per item" cost, which may not even remotely reflect what the real price is.

Say a contract is let for 10 trucks, and the total is $100,000. The asset tag will say each truck cost $10,000 (1/10 of $100,000). But if the contract is for 10 of those same trucks, plus $50,000 worth of spare parts, $25,000 worth of specialized tools and machinery, and training for personnel to use it (we'll say another $25,000), that contract is now worth $200,000. But they still only got 10 trucks, so each one will have an asset tag that says $20,000 (1/10 of $200,000). They still paid the same for each one, but that's not how they count the beans. :roll:

Cheers
Makes cents.....:whistle:

Awol

You're lucky! Most trucks I've been interested in end up selling for way more than they should lol.

85M998

It could be that it was originally built with other accesories. I bought mine as a 2door truck with a cargo cover, rails and troop seating. When I took it all apart for painting I found that at one point it had a c pilar attached. The body and the b pilar had indentations in the paint where the c pilar and rails were attached. the indentations didn't match up to the mounts of the troop seat rails. Also, the rear door straps, seats and seat belts were still attached. So at one point in its life it was a four door. It was refurbished it the 2000's and was was probably repurposed then. That might be the price difference in you hmmwv's.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The early M998s all shipped from the factory "naked". Once they got to the unit, the appropriate 2 door or 4 door kit was added.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks