• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding a 12 Volt System to a M35A3

preyn2

Any dimensions? Measured drawings? My VFD is going to be replacing one of our brush trucks, a Deuce, and we'll be doing something similar to (or exactly the same as) this.

Thanks

fireline1919

We can get you the demensions that you are looking for. We just ned to know what parts you are inquiring about. I have other pictures of the truck that show all the lighting, skid unit, radios, etc. if you would like to see more of it. Send me an e-mail of what you are looking for. It might take a week or so to get all the information, but we need to do it anyway. We talked about drawing it up, but after it was completed we took some time from finishing the final paperwork (it never got done). My e-mail address is d.brown1919@yahoo.com.

JimTheScot989

Try talking to this company:
<http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/>
or this one..
<High Amp Alternator | High Output Alternators | EMS, Fire and Ambulance Alternators and Starters>
or this solution:
<High Amp Alternators, Dual Alternator Kits for Military Applications>
or a dual output alternator, one mounting:
<http://www.ceniehoff.com/product.asp_Q_catID_E_152>

but never... :mad: never :cookoo: do a split voltage connection on any multiple series battery bank. You will end up with damaged equipment if not a fire...

Be samrt, do it deliberately with informed decision, and enjoy8)

fireline1919

Thank you for the links! We thought about adding this size of alternator. We ran into a problem on the amount of space available. We could have relocated the overflow resevoir for the coolant system, but that seemed to be more of a waste of time. Instead we opted for the automotive style. We had one special built locally. It is a 200 amp alternator with an additional fan in the back for better cooling. It cost us around $200 for the alternator. We will see over time if that was a good decision or not. A plus to it is that if it goes out in the field one that will work can be found without any trouble. Our main goal was a redundant system. In the past we have noticed a lot of deuces go into the field with working lights and come back with none. These are normally set up in a way that robs 12 volts off of one of the 24 volt system. Sure 200 amps is probably overkill, but we needed more than we could get from a converter and it was better on our budget. As for the dual output alternators, we wanted both systems (12 and 24) to be independant of each other. If we had a problem with the 12 volt side, we would still have the 24 and vise-versa.

fireline1919

I have uploaded more pictures to flickr. I didn't know how to change the size of the file on my camera until after taking the pictures so they were all too big to send in e-mails. So I decided to place them where anyone wanting to look at them could have access. The link is Flickr: d.brown1919's Photostream. Also, I have writen a word document that goes into detail about the build. E-mail me if you would like a copy. Thanks!

trukhead

I have uploaded more pictures to flickr. I didn't know how to change the size of the file on my camera until after taking the pictures so they were all too big to send in e-mails. So I decided to place them where anyone wanting to look at them could have access. The link is Flickr: d.brown1919's Photostream. Also, I have writen a word document that goes into detail about the build. E-mail me if you would like a copy. Thanks!
Thanks for the pictures. I think I will fab up a bracket for a cheap 10si one wire delco 12 volt alternator for my A3.

fireline1919

The double pully was welded and balanced by a local machine shop. We thought it better to leave that part to the pros. There are no dimensions to the bracket. We just pieced it together as we went. There is not that much room to work with. Send me an email with "Deuce Info" as the subject and I will send you the word document with all of the particulars.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks