• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding a gauge pod and tachometer

tburk49760

I'm planning on adding a pyrometer, tach, boost gauge, power port and some kind of stalk light. It seems like the ideal location would be in type some type of box that mounts on top of the heater. Anybody have anything like that or ideas? Also wondering if there is a tach signal already present at the diagnostic port.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have some stuff mounted on top of the heater box. It works pretty well. I dont know about the tach pickup but winch trucks do have a tach. Do you have a 1st gen or A1 truck?

I am looking for one of those boxes that Suprman posted or the one Derrickl112 posted. Either one would do. If anyone has one they are willing to sell or a lead on one that would be great.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
A ton of them went thru GL 2 months ago. In 2 separate lots the housings in one lot and the front plates in another. There are a few around but the seller thinks they are worth 250 bucks which is one zero more than I think they are worth.
Will

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
No idea. Maybe on an a1 truck. It was just the housings that were sold off. No tachs or switches that I saw. I found all the parts to add breakers to the empty spaces on the power panel. It's crimp connectors and special plastic tabs to hold them in. It should be pretty easy to wire up whatever you want.

tburk49760

I had envisioned having a box made that is the full size of the top of the heater with a face plate that had spots for gauges. At the time I made a few quick pictures to show a better idea of what I had in mind. I was not able to find anyone locally to make it so the idea stopped at the drawing board.
This is what I was thinking. I may just build one...

acropilot

I am looking for a tach too for my 1083. The closest after-market item i have been able to find is a unit with a magnetic pulse pick up that gets attached to the alternator. On the Cat C7, there is an ECM box where the signals are currently present. You need a digital tach that is programmable, that you can calibrate. As soon as i have solidified the solution, I'll post it on the forum.

Sapphire

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The premade switch box is called the "options panel" in technical jargon and comes complete as a kit (part # 57K1944, SMID: 147-1982-303). The "kit" consists of the housing, front panel, a wiring harness, knockouts for the tach and all but one switch, and some metric screws. No switches or tach are included.

The housing attaches to the top of the heater with 8 screws that go into threaded holes that, incidentally, should already be present in the heater assembly.

Mine arrived without any pem nuts or rivnuts in the housing to accept the screws from the panel. I had install my own rivnuts in the housing and change the hardware to SAE.

My intention is to build a custom panel for all my lighting options plus a couple of USB ports.

FYI, I ordered mine from a vendor that was asking a certain price. When I explained that all I cared about was the housing and offered something much less, he accepted.

PM me for details.

tburk49760

Got my tach from a ss vendor and the options panel from a surplus dealer. Finally ready to make a new front panel and mount some additional gauges. Boost and pyrometer for sure. Anyone have an idea which wires from the options panel plug feed the tach or how to determine which wire is the tach signal?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks