• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding a hose reel, maybe a rear winch

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While thinking about the Fall 2010 Dirtbag, I decided I wanted an easier way to load the quads in the bed of my deuce. The way it's done now is I ride the big one up the ramps, we spin it around (just barely clears) and then I use it's winch to pull the other two up backwards.

I wanted a small winch mounted in the bed up high on the forward bulkhead. I didn't want to spent much money on something that would get used 2-3 times a year so I surfed around at Harbor Frieght.

I found a couple cheapo electric winches that looked like they might work, but then supplying power to it might be a hassle and might be hard on the batteries.

I found an even cheaper manual winch, but the thought of cranking on that thing didn't appeal to me. Then I decided to remove the handle, double nut the shaft and power it with my air gun.

Winch is in the vanpool van ready to try out tonight - I'll report back with results and pics.

While I was at Harbor Frieght I also picked up a cheap 25 foot hose and retracting reel to mount somewhere on the truck. Like a lot of folks I tapped into the trucks air under the dash. We use it all the time since the garage air only reaches about 20 feet outside of the garage. A lot of times when working on the truck it's easier to fire her up and use it's air supply. I need to find a place to mount the hose reel and someplace to tap into the air.

I'm thinking on the bed between it and the cab. I need to be careful where I tap into the air and I want a shut off valve to protect things in case of leaks. I might just mount it in the cab under the dash - I'll post pics when I'm done.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
While I was at Harbor Frieght I also picked up a cheap 25 foot hose and retracting reel to mount somewhere on the truck. Like a lot of folks I tapped into the trucks air under the dash. We use it all the time since the garage air only reaches about 20 feet outside of the garage. A lot of times when working on the truck it's easier to fire her up and use it's air supply. I need to find a place to mount the hose reel and someplace to tap into the air.

I'm thinking on the bed between it and the cab. I need to be careful where I tap into the air and I want a shut off valve to protect things in case of leaks. I might just mount it in the cab under the dash - I'll post pics when I'm done.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/11237-board-air-hose-reel-done.html

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clinto - I didn't "search" because I didn't even have the idea until I saw the cheap reel. The reel Bottleworks used is a lot nicer than the 30 dollar one I bought today.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Clinto - I didn't "search" because I didn't even have the idea until I saw the cheap reel. The reel Bottleworks used is a lot nicer than the 30 dollar one I bought today.
Oh, I wasn't admonishing you to search, I was trying to help and show you one member's answer to the hose reel question.

gunboy1656

so why not use glad hands to hook into your system?

25 foot hose will clear all the objects in your bed, be taken off for a clean military look for the truck.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
so why not use glad hands to hook into your system?

25 foot hose will clear all the objects in your bed, be taken off for a clean military look for the truck.
I want the hose to retract for storage and I want the whole thing mounted permantly so it's just "there" when I want it. All my storage is locked on the truck and often we start working on something and I don't have the keys in my pocket. Having it already there would save my lazy a## a couple minutes. :)

Last edited:

gunboy1656

Well it still would retract, the end of the hose that sticks out the back (that your going to plug into your air system), just add a glad hand on it and there ya go. Hose will retract as needed.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That works better with a higher quality reel like Bottleworks used. The low end one I bought wouldn't mount very well in the back.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed the hose reel, but my camera battery is dead, so I'll get pics tommorrow.

The only place I could find to mount it was on the forward side of the front passenger mud flap, above the fuel tank.

Tapping into an air source was very easy - I found a plug on top of the starboard air tank. I bought a 3/8 to 1/4 double male adapter and threaded it into the hole. I wanted to install a valve in case the hose was ever cut or burst, but the only one I found was 15 dollars and I'm a cheap bastid. Instead I installed a female air hose QD. Then I installed a male QD on the hose reel inlet hose and of course a female QD on the main hose end. No leaks.

I put the original plug in the glove box incase something on the tank side breaks. The reel pivots freely, but when it's in the fore/aft position it hits the bed bracing enough to be wedged and not move around. I'll see how that works. If it doesn't I think a bungee or some sort of latch will take care of it.

Of course it needs to be painted tan. Pics soon.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pics of the hose reel. Can't get shots of the winch I put in the bed, the back is full of tires and wheels. It's just a cheap hand winch that I removed the handle from and replaced with two nuts. Then I run the air hose into the bed and use my air gun to operate.

The hose reel is a Harbor Frieght cheapo. I tapped into the air tank on top (removed a plug) via a standard female air hose QD. I was going to use a valve in case the air hose ever burst or was cut, but the QD was cheaper and serves the same purpose. If the QD is ever broken on the tank side I have the original plug stashed in the glove box.

Attachments

tm america

Nice job .Well i guess thats one way to get the air hose out of the tool box..i think i would have put it under the rear of the bed so it would be protected and easy to reach the trailer tires and truck tires,but that works to

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice job .Well i guess thats one way to get the air hose out of the tool box..i think i would have put it under the rear of the bed so it would be protected and easy to reach the trailer tires and truck tires,but that works to

This one is too cheap to mount sideways - it doesn't lock in place. It stays put where it's at though. Never thought about the trailer tires, I guess I'll have to figure it out when the time comes. I did like the thread where the guy mounted a nice one with a long cord under the bed. I just didn't want to spend the money. I'm only about 35 dollars in this.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks