• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding a pony motor to a M936

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The wife and I were brainstorming last night and she came up with an idea that I think is brilliant. Instead of trying to mount an engine somewhere to drive the pump, mount an electric motor to drive the pump and mount a diesel generator where ever it is easiest to access. Think about it, the elecric motor would be way easier to locate due to the smaller size, speed would be infinatly adjustable, plus you would have a generator to run other equipment off of, like a welder or plasma cutter.

Thoughts?
The F16 canopy crane thingy I had a few years back had a dual pump system. One pump ran on 220V the other 24Vdc. What about doing something like that? When the truck is up and running, it could support itself that way. Then you could alternatively use a generator to power the AC motor. Or even slave the truck with another truck to run it on 24v.

You're going to need some rather large motors to run this I think...

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You need to run the pump at a constant speed, think you will find that you will need a bigger motor then you think.

Last edited:

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
But tapatalk is free now? What size are the pics you're trying to upload? If you're trying to upload 14 megapixal images, it's going to naturally take a long time. As to the work thing, the server has been replaced. So the IP has changed. Are you getting an error or something?
If tapatalk is now free I appologize for being ignorant. Don't know what size, they are usually taken with my tablet. I can get on SS as a guest but if I try to log on I get an access denied screen, unless I get on a computer that I told SS to remember me before the last update, then I'm automatically logged on but can't post anything or it goes back to the access denied screen. When I get to work I'll snap a pic of the screen and I'll FB you the pic.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You need to run the pump at a constant speed, think you will find that you will need a bigger motor then you think.
I know on my M543, I use 4th or 5th gear. So that's 1:1 in 5th. It's just idling at that speed. I don't have a dyno graph. But for arguments sake, let's play with whole numbers. The LDS makes 180hp. Let's say it makes 10% of that power at idle speeds. That's still 18hp and a LOT of torque.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
To use an electric motor, you would want it to be a dc motor, they have more torque. If you were to hook the genset to a DC motor controller, you should be sitting pretty depending of course on the size of the DC motor. I have taken a treadmill and used the motor and controller to power a drill press, worked pretty nice.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The torque is the important number. The best thing to do is get the size of the pump, and match the motor to the pump.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have access (as in demo samples) to VERY large 24VDC motors. This would be a very interesting project that I might want to get involved in to see what my motors can do. Currently they are powering hydraulic braking for subway trains....

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
So does anyone know what the required rpm is for the pump? And you wouldn't exactly need a huge, high torque motor to spin the pump, a smaller higher speed low torque motor with the properly sized pullys could do the same job. Say for ease of math the motor needs to spin at 100rpm at 1:1 ratio you would need a high torque motor but if you go say 10:1 a smaller lower torque motor at 1000 rpm would do the same job.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about a different size pump mounted on an electric motor. The pressure capability has to be the same or greater as existing but if the gpm is less, everything will just work slower. That does not seem like a biggie to effect an engine swap. The setup would just be tee'd/valved into the existing supply/return lines on the existing pump. For DC motor/pump combos, how bout checking with a local forklift repair business. Some usually have junked forklifts for scrounging parts off of. Just spit-balling.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you find a 70's Dodge (800 series, I think) military de-icer truck, they used a 4 cyl gasoline(same as the mep-003) engine and belt drive to a hydraulic pump(about the same size as a wrecker).

A friend of mine has one.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I believe the 939 -10 calls for 1250 to 1800 engine rpm for 936 rear operation, this is a 1 to 1 output at the transfer case pto.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, that is an ugly sight..........And the motor still runs fine. WHew!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks