• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding a Third Brake Light to M1009

tgtaylor64

I just bought a low-profile LED third brake light and want to mount it on top of my M1009. It has two wires: black and yellow. How do I connect this to my truck? I already have a 4-pin trailer towing cable hooked in and thought it may be easier to just connect to that. I thought it would be really easy but I cannot keep the new light from blinking when the turn signal is on! What am I missing?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The brake lights and blinkers are powered on the same wire going to the rear of the truck . To power a 3rd light you need to run a wire from the brake light switch ( on the brake pedal assembly) and a wire to ground.

cucvrus

Cool thing is the third brake light will flash when you have the 4 ways on. That is when you hook it up to the brake pedal switch. Works well with out any issues.

rsh4364

A little bling action on the 1009s is kinda neat,especially with a really nice body.When I redo my 86 the body will be super straight and painted in a matte gloss paint.It will be camo though.I grew up in a body shop and if it wasn't straight it didn't get paint.Nice job on that third brake light,but I would like to recess mine into the tailgate.

Last edited:

Ilikemtb999

I'd like a 3rd light because my dirt bike on the back blocks a decent amount of the regular lights. I think I'd like mine recessed into the Fiberglass top or just at the top of the window.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks