• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding a transmission drain plug?

I just dropped the pan from my 4 speed to change the fluid (and filter while I'm at it). I'm wondering, is it worth it to add a drain plug to the pan while its out? I've seen a video where a guy drills a hole and welds a nut and I've also seen other products that don't need welding. Next time, should I just disconnect one of the transmission cooler return lines and connect a hose, start it up, and run it until it stops flowing?

papakb

There's a dozen places online where you can buy a 4L80 transmission pan with a drain plug already in it for around $30. Why go thru the trouble to hack one up yourself?

There's a dozen places online where you can buy a 4L80 transmission pan with a drain plug already in it for around $30. Why go thru the trouble to hack one up yourself?
I got a dorman matching OEM profile pan with a drain plug. I didn't like some of the other pans with a different profile because when under the HMMWV, a different profile pan might be the first thing that strikes a rock from what I could see.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks