• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding a Turbo to Non-Turbo 465

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How bad does it whistle at 1,200-1,400 rpm. That where I keep the rpm when using the crane. Suppose it could get anoying after an hour.

Bjorn

Hookin1

We put a commercial truck muffler on a 1-c whistler, I think all we did was make the whistle more pronounced. It does sound cool though.
I have a commercial muffler on my duece which has a 1-d.I found a muffler that will mount under the truck behind the battery box. it sure makes driving it alot more fun an long hauls.

Jakob

I know I'm reviving a REALLY old thread here, but I'm looking for this information now and this was the only thread I could find. I'll be picking up my non-turbo deuce in the next couple of weeks. I want to get a whistler turbo put on it and at first I didn't know what would be involved. Can someone "oops" me a copy of that article?

FreightTrain

Banned
Turbo install the crash course.....

Buy turbo
Buy turbo install kit(has the gasket,elbow for the intake manifold,oil supply and drain lines,and some nuts and bolts)
Clean air kit which has all air piping needed for exhaust and the C pipe for the filter to turbo
2 fittings-90degree elbow that matches the hole in the block for the oil supply line.NPT on one side and compression on other and a larger straight nipple to NPT for the drain.Forgot sizes sorry
Remove filter can,pull entire exhaust system off,Remove the stand off plate from the leg holder behind the stack.Remove the elbow from the exhaust manifold and intake manifold(do not cut anything unless your ditching the flame heater).Fun part is the bolts for the exhaust elbow.They will be rusted on there.I had to use a chisel to split the nuts.Remove teh slobber tube.Pull the pipe plug just ahead of the pressure regulator on the block and the large plug bottom of the block straight down from the manifold outlet.Ok,not start installing stuff(if you plan to install pyro drill and tap now for either 1 probe or like me dual probes since exhaust is divided into 2 banks till after it enters the turbo).Install the intake elbow first.Take the rubber boot and push it as far up as you can on the elbow.Take the turbo and install the top threaded oil line fitting off the truck.Now install the turbo straight to the manifold with the gasket.Hold with one hand while starting the rear nuts(studs) and place the front bolts through the manifold and start the nuts.Tighten them down.Now install a 90 degree elbow in the block pointing straight up when tight.Install the oil supply line(J shaped hard line).Install the drain nipple on bottom hole and hose.Slide the pipe into the hose then rotate to turbo and install the rear bolt.Install the flame heater parts if they are to be used into the new intake elbow at this time.Take the new slobber tube and install it.Front bolt for drain tube also holes slobber tube on.Take a saw of your choice and cut the fender out at the rear where it attached to bents straight up to the cab.Install the hard elbow to turbo along with flex pipe.Losely attach the elbow to the turbo so you can swivel it later to hook to stack.Install the 2 rubber boots to the filter head and turbo intake and slide the C pipe on.Tighten the clamps.Hey,Almost there.Take a saw and open up the stack hole in the fender per the blue print with the clean air kit.Remove the 2 lower bolts from the windshild hinge.Install the wide andle peice with slant at bottom and the thin peice between the rear hole and inside hole of windshild hinge.Slide the J pipe up though the hole from the bottom.Losely install the U bolt to hold the J pipe.Attach J pipe to flex pipe.Install the ring and standoff under the fender on the J pipe to lift the J pipe till it is about an inch from the fender underneath.Install a twisted bar from the frame to the inner fender so it doesn't flap in the breeze.Tighten the U bolt nuts.Install the heat shield over the U bolt.Now install the stack top.Job done!Takes me about 2 days to do all this taking my time and goofing off.Can be done in under a day with some goof off time.

FreightTrain

Banned
oh yea,You will have a few parts left over from the install kit.Think there was a rubber boot and a cast iron offset exhaust thingy.They are for the 5 ton.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am interested in obtaining the entire NA exhaust system from someone that has done this conversion if someone has these left over parts cheap. I have the idea of reinstalling the original NA exhaust on a turbo in order to quiet things down a bit without having to have a visible muffler.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks