Adding a winch

Mullaney

Supporting Vendor
How easy is it to add a winch to an M35A2 that came without one?
Depends on how much effort you want to put into the job. Finding a PTO is a good start. The plate on the side of the transmission is where that will live. After you get a PTO, some linkage to operate the new gearbox. Then a driveshaft, a set of bumper extensions and a winch. It is easy to do but it is hard work. Lots of bolts to remove and replace and a little grunting as you pick things up and put them in place... Also need to find a grille that has some additional protection for the radiator - if the winch cable breaks.

M35a2 PTO.jpg M35A2 Five Speed Transmission 2520-00-884-4833.jpg
(pictures not to scale)

You might find an entire "take off" for sale in the classifieds. OR another option could be an electric winch. It really depends on your need for "period accuracy" or maybe what you might want to use the winch for. Is it to recover the truck - or maybe to pull a pal with a jeep out of the muck?

Found a PTO in the classifieds:

Last edited:

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did exactly what your asking about and the frame extensions are easy the PTO may need to be shimmed depending on what mesh pattern you get when you install the PTO. Then its running the lever up into the cab with a little bit of linkage and the drive shaft from the PTO to the winch, its all pretty easy but your going to need something to lift the winch assembly into place, and I would also give the winch a very good cleaning and even partial disassembly to make sure the insides are at least relatively clean. These winches are notorious for leaking, I am not saying a lot but they will definitely weep a bit. I used Cornhead grease in my winch and that eliminated at least 90% of the weeping. Dont be scared of mounting the winch its actually pretty fun and sure makes your truck more capable!

cl-bike

Morning, also thinking about adding a winch to my M35A2, and would very much appreciate the experts' opinions on an electric one which seems to be simpler to implement. I am looking for something that would be able to pull another M35 or large truck, if stuck in sand. I have read several threads discussing pros-cons of electric vs PTO, but nothing conclusive about successful electric implementations.

Many thanks !

HT

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The most difficult part for me was getting the bolt holes to align after the winch with frame extensions was in the frame. I had a h*** of a time getting the last few bolts into the bumper. I got it done, though. :)

Mullaney

Supporting Vendor
Morning, also thinking about adding a winch to my M35A2, and would very much appreciate the experts' opinions on an electric one which seems to be simpler to implement. I am looking for something that would be able to pull another M35 or large truck, if stuck in sand. I have read several threads discussing pros-cons of electric vs PTO, but nothing conclusive about successful electric implementations.

Many thanks !

HT
It might be worth searching for a Warn 18k 24v Electric winch.
They were used on MRAPs and frequently show up on GovPlanet.

One of the guys with a M1078 recently installed a 17,500# electric winch on his truck. A member named @chucky built the front "pocket" for it to live in as well as a cover to help protect it from the elements. Good guy, willing to offer ideas and definitely worth a looking at his posts about the install. Link below:

BIG THING to remember is that no matter electric or mechanical off a PTO, using a snatch block will make it do more than a straight pull. And, you need a set of "winch blankets" so if something goes wrong there is a lesser chance of a broken cable doing damage. Search for that term on YouTube to educate yourself a little on winch safety.

----

The PTO powered winch will work if the truck will run. It will do more and the drum is larger.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks