• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding additional gauges?

mcne2026

I'd like to add some additional gauges and not rely on just the idiot lights. I was thinking temp gauge, oil pressure and maybe a tach. Will the senders for the temp and oil pressure send actual data to a gauge or are they just good for the idiot lights? Will I need to install new temp and oil pressure senders to make it work? This is for a '86 M1008.

cucvrus

DSCF4490.jpgDSCF4448.jpgNo the OEM sending units will not work. I do keep them in place and operational. I picked up the water temperature at various locations. Coolant manifold, water pump plug, Rear of passengers side cylinder head. I also tapped into the oil pressure sending location and T'd the connection with a line oil line and a sending unit. I do have some fear of live lines but I never had one fail on a CUCV. I used the tachometer wire on the drivers side GEN 1 to get a signal for my tachometer. I posted a few pictures for reference. I hope they are helpful to get you moving along on your project. I opted to move my entertainment to the radio rack in the rear. DSCF4489.jpgI have a remote for that. Worked out well the past 20 years.

mcne2026

Thanks. I'll start looking at those locations. As for the radio, I don't see much point in having one in my rig. It is so loud inside, I don't think I could ever hear a radio. Most of the weatherstriping is so shot, all I hear is a dozen different whistles when I'm driving.