• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding an extra axle to an M109A3

Green_gator

If you are looking at putting a third drive axle in the 109 it looks like there may be room for the axle but the spring support structure is going to be very cramped. I can put a tape measure on mine tomorrow if you want while I am doing some work. I can measure the available space and the space needed for a 105 set of springs. For the additional cost of the axle a set of the Canadian rims and tires will probably provide a better result I spoke with the company that has them and they will ship them to the U.S. and I am starting to put away some nickles to save up for a set. The big question for me is where do you plan on finding frozen tundra in Miami?

sporkius

If you are looking at putting a third drive axle in the 109 it looks like there may be room for the axle but the spring support structure is going to be very cramped. I can put a tape measure on mine tomorrow if you want while I am doing some work. I can measure the available space and the space needed for a 105 set of springs. For the additional cost of the axle a set of the Canadian rims and tires will probably provide a better result I spoke with the company that has them and they will ship them to the U.S. and I am starting to put away some nickles to save up for a set. The big question for me is where do you plan on finding frozen tundra in Miami?

I would love to see those numbers as well. I have been pondering how this would be done.

DavidWymore

Regarding snow, and removing tires, adding weight, that depends on what kind of snow. Deep fresh powder you have to float on, anything packed and icy, you gotta bite into. Check out some of the icelandic offroad trucks. Huge marshamallow tires.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3OeMbQTFA4&feature=channel_page[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d_XR_1-FB8[/media]

KaiserM109

Thanks or the warm welcome! I don't want to add an extra axle merely for weight purposes but rather for traction. I'm planning on using this baby for camping in frozen terrain and adding an extra axle would help immensely when it comes to all terrain capabilities.
The first thing that occurs to me is that there isn’t very much “frozen terrain” near Florida, the address on your profile, so you must be planning to road it to get to your destination. The first problem you will find is that the cross-bar NDTs that usually come on an M109 are TERRIBLE on slick, icy roads.

The second consideration is what type of “frozen terrain” are you talking about and how deep is it frozen? If the freeze is shallow and you break through, what are you dealing with then? Where I am used to off-roading, Western Colorado, it is usually solid a little ways down and you want narrow, aggressive tires for that. If you are talking about frozen, sandy soil with no solid base, you want wide, moderately aggressive tires.

Before you launch off into a big project, you should find out what your 109 will do now. I would suggest, however, that you look at better tires, particularly if you are going to be using it on hard, slick surfaces.
… We have an M109a3 that we drive in snow and ice and the best traction aid we have are Michelin XYL with deep lugs. Good Luck in your quest
Ditto

zout

add

just .2 cents worth.
You might not wish to drop an axle in front of the existing front drive - then you would incur driveline issues and more.
If you added to the back - you would have to add an inner liner to the frame - add on and splice plus drilling for centers of hangers - etc - then the additional driveline. This is a major project - almost like building a "glider " kit from ground up.
You may run into clutch/trans issues here as well for the extra load as well.
If you have unlimited funds - then go for it. If it is not done correctly it will haunt you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks