• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding auxiliary tail lights….. would like some help…..

ramdough

I want to wire in some trailer led lights on the back of my truck higher up. I have a reason…..

Anyone interested in making and selling me some male-female splices. Basically a male and female connector to go between the light plugs and the truck harness using the military connectors, then have a pigtail that comes off maybe 4 feet. I would need 6 of these for brake, tail lights and ground per side.

Please PM me if you can help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramdough

“Y” connectors are fairly easy to get, interrupt each wire needed for your additional lights and run some wire. Super simple.
Do they make the military ones that plug right into the light pigtails? I was hoping to not modify my stock harness if I could.

Ronmar

Yea,I don’t like those wire taps either, they damage the wire, compromise the insulation and allow moisture intrusion and corrosion. I have pulled apart lot of damaged wiring where those were installed. When they come inan install kit, I throw them in the trash…

There is nothing special about the rear lighting or headlight connectors. They are simply bullet connectors. You can get these type terminals all over the place in various wire gauges. An easy way to make a tap is to take a larger gauge 12-10(yellow) male bullet and crimp 2 short pieces of #12 wire into it. On the opposit end of each wire you put a female 12-14(blue). You connect the yellow into one of the separated connectors and one of the blues into the other half of the separated connection. You then have a tap to send to a new light. You could make the second wire of your Y as long as needed to reach the new light and connect it there.

At the separated connector where you are tapping energy for the new light. Slide heat shrink tubing onto the original wires. Fill the bullet connections with silicone dielectric grease and plug them together, then heat shrink over the connections. The grease helps prevent moisture intrusion and corrosion(full of grease can’t be full of water) and is completely reversible with no damage to the original wiring…

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, the male & female connectors are dimensionally unique in the automotive wiring world. They have been since the days of the Douglas metal shell cover connector days (over 70 years). The current tactical connectors are referred to as Packard type.

Commercial parts are close, but not the same. The real male ones are turned out of solid brass, then silver plated...

There are small rubber connectors with 1 into 2 hookups just for your purpose as attached.

BTW, tactical taillights don't have ground wires, rather they get a ground thru the mounting bolts. You can pick up a ground connection by using the trailer receptical with the same technique.

Packard 3-way.jpg

Last edited:

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Using the above Y connectors, tapping into the rear harness is actually very easy. Although not as cheap as common electrical connectors, you can very quickly creat a mini harness to add your additional lights without disturbing the original harness. I have used these to add marker lights to my MKT. The hard part is finding wire that has a jacket as thick as the military wire so that the Packard connecters seal like they should. You will spend more time installing/attaching your lights than creating a wiring harness.

coachgeo

have not seen these.... wonder if they are just "cooler" looking than the blue ones but essenturally the same?

Agree blue ones are horrible though not sure if they cant be personally improved upon (drop little electronics solder in there before final snap together, dab of electric grease too, clip it home , followed by and drown it in paint on electrical coating)

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Using the above Y connectors, tapping into the rear harness is actually very easy. Although not as cheap as common electrical connectors, you can very quickly creat a mini harness to add your additional lights without disturbing the original harness. I have used these to add marker lights to my MKT. The hard part is finding wire that has a jacket as thick as the military wire so that the Packard connecters seal like they should. You will spend more time installing/attaching your lights than creating a wiring harness.
Big Mikes Motorpool "Y" connectors

ramdough

Big Mikes Motorpool "Y" connectors
Those are all the same gender, so that would require a gender changing harness as well and a connector pigtail.

At that point, I may as well just make the “y” from scratch.

ramdough

have not seen these.... wonder if they are just "cooler" looking than the blue ones but essenturally the same?

Agree blue ones are horrible though not sure if they cant be personally improved upon (drop little electronics solder in there before final snap together, dab of electric grease too, clip it home , followed by and drown it in paint on electrical coating)
I think for that to work properly, I would need to also wrap it in electrical tape, then some duct tape, then a some bailing wire for good measure so the tape can’t come off….

In all seriousness, I really wanted to not modify my harnesses. It sounds like I will need to find and dust off the AF8, buy the connectors, then learn how to crimp these things.

I was just busy doing other work, and was hoping someone else had the bandwidth to knock this out for me at a reasonable price.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those are all the same gender, so that would require a gender changing harness as well and a connector pigtail.

At that point, I may as well just make the “y” from scratch.

I'm sure with a little more googling you can find a male / female "Y' connector , that was the first one that popped up .

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've not seen Packard Ys that were other than female all around, a female to two males would sure be handy for splitting light wires.
I use what are called Bulkhead Connectors to connect females together. There are several places to get them, I get mine from Erik's.

Cheers

bulkhead-connector-for-rubber-shell-connectors-8741492-37.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks