• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding brake fluid

Dumpduece

I recently purchased my first m35a2. It is a great 1967 kaiser with a 1988 white multi-fuel diesel. I am puzzled how i would check or fill the master cylinder with fluid. I open the trap door in the floor board, and see no where to put anything. I crawled under the truck and saw the master cylinder and air assist, but no where to top off the master. Could someone educate me please?:-d

GoHot229

Once the trap door is open look twards the rear of the truck, you should see the round cap to the master cyl. with a tubing line connected to it, yea the looks can fool you at first. Dis-connect the tubing (somewhat difficult) and then remove the cap counterclock-wise to loosen. The Deuce takes a special type silicone fluid, if I'm correct.....search "Deuce brake fluid" on that subject as some have been drained and automotive types substituted. Also go to the Deuce section and look at 'freequently asked questions'

lavarok

Once the trap door is open look twards the rear of the truck, you should see the round cap to the master cyl. with a tubing line connected to it, yea the looks can fool you at first. Dis-connect the tubing (somewhat difficult) and then remove the cap counterclock-wise to loosen. The Deuce takes a special type silicone fluid, if I'm correct.....search "Deuce brake fluid" on that subject as some have been drained and automotive types substituted. Also go to the Deuce section and look at 'freequently asked questions'
Your truck may or may not have tubing coming from the cap.
However, this is correct. Open the trapdoor and unscrew the cap.

DOT5 only!

forgingahead

got my '67 deuce running yesterday! yay! :-D
now for the stopping...
i too found it odd about the filler kine...the line is missing on mine too, has only a 90 angle tube fitting, no cap.
after reading the tm i could find no adequate info about filling, flushing or bleeding brakes for testing fluid, or what the consequences are for mixing DOT 3 and 5.
the pedal has no resistance so i figure on finding a leak somewhere, as soon as the brakes checkout we're in service developing farm acreage!
this site has been my only source of info on rescuing this jeep from the jungle, so thanks all!
...by coincedence, my girl was wearing her o.d. dress when i took her for the short ride back and forth in the earth's depression that serves as brakes for now!

forgingahead

found the tm section about bleeding brakes, but still no clear drawings of the master cylinder ...
tm keeps referring to a cap... is there no reservoir? i can see on my deuce where lines have been disconnected, but is there supposed to be a just a line straight to a 90 degree fitting on top of the master cylinder? some parts of tm seem to indicate missing parts, but elsewhere and in some posts here seems maybe the reservoir is usually missing...
anybody have a clear picture of what the master cylinder is supposed to look like??

forgingahead

ok...finally looked with flashlight! now i get it...master cylinder/ reservoir is one piece.
tm's black out so many parts like they are classified; our tax dollars at work hiding our purchases from us.
makes missing parts difficult to figure out for refabrication.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Westex, there should be a couple of stickers pasted on the trucks saying to use only silicone brake fluid. I haven't heard of one yet coming from the military that doesn't have DOT 5 in it, not to say that is can't happen but the majority of them seem to be DOT 5 only. If you are unsure of what kind you have, open the master cylinder and get some out with an eye dropper and place it in a small baby food jar with some water and shake it up a lot. The DOT 5 will not mix with the water, but DOT 3 will.