• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding front diff and transfer case to my IH

238mph

Ok, I have a '97 IH 4700... 2 wheel drive. I'd like to add a front diff and transfer case.
It has juice/disc brakes that I want to keep. I'm running XZLs (52") and USA6x6 rims.
(And those are a whole 'nother story!)

Any suggestions as to which front axle I should use?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whats the final drive ratio of the rear? What bolt pattern is the rear? Has lots to do with it. Might think of swapping in a matching pair of axles from something like a 5 ton.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Nice looking truck! What kind of fuel mileage do you get with that set up? A chopped up M105 trailer bed would match pretty good to the square shaped body. Your best bet would be to scrounge the wrecking yards for a front axle off a similar truck that a utility company would have owned. Other wise your looking at whatever ratio the 5 ton axles come with (I think 6.42:1).

238mph

M105 is that the one that would be as wide as the cab??? If so, yes.

Then I'd cut it down length wise to be a bob-tail.... I'm guessing I get about 12mpg
It has the T-444e (same block as the 7.3 engine that IH sold to Ford)

238mph

Re: RE: Adding front diff and transfer case to my IH

Recovry4x4 said:
Whats the final drive ratio of the rear? What bolt pattern is the rear? Has lots to do with it. Might think of swapping in a matching pair of axles from something like a 5 ton.
Not sure... I asked IH for a printout of the build sheet... I just need to go get it.

HEY I JUST SAW YOU'RE FROM LOXAHATCHEE!!! I MOVED FROM THERE TO TUCSON ABOUT 5 YEARS AGO! Can you imagine running this around downtown WPB???

Hahahahahaaaa friggin cops would hate me!

238mph

Re: RE: Re: RE: Adding front diff and transfer case to my IH

gimpyrobb said:
Carefull, your talking to a friggin cop. :oops:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Oh, no worries... I like cops... lots of respect for them... but the ones in Palm Beach get their panties in a wad unless you have BIG $$$ and drive a ROLLS...
They hated the redneck guys from western Palm Beach County... we ran mud bogs and trucks out in the swamps... long before ritchey rich took over PB County.
Finally I had to leave... went out West... the REAL West... open carry... now if we could
just shutdown the border all would be fine out here.

What we really need are some M1 Abrams on the border.... 8)