• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding lights

JeffAS

I got some new lights yesterday from GL in Columbus, I want to put two of them on the front and two on the rear of the Deuce, I have read some other threads some people use relays and some don't, what if any are the pro's and con's of using a relay or not using a relay.

Attachments

Tlauden

Without a relay the entire electrical load is going through your switch, with a relay it's not. All depends on the load I guess, for lights like in your picture I would use relay's. There relatively cheap and IMHO worth it for things like that

Pinz25086

A relay will allow more current to flow than the switch that operates it will hold. The switch only controls the coil that pulls the relay closed to make contact. The load of the lights goes through the much larger contacts in the relay. The lights can then be run through a fuse direct to the battery for the best possible current path this way with out overloading the switch.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
It really depends on how it is wired. You could draw right off the batterys and not need a relay, just make sure you install a fuse or breaker near the batts.

Oldgrunt

I don't know about the relays but I just hooked up some of the 24 volt lights to the rear of my Deuce. The only thing I did was unhook the connector to the tail lights that controls the blackout lamps and hooked it to the lights, it worked like a charm, and no extra wire to run and no extra switches.

R Racing

I bought a few spare on/off power switches for a deuce. And ran a fused wire from the battery to it . Then to my lights. use the stock style lever and off on accessory tag,And it looks politically correct, lol

pegasus55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check to see how much current the lights will draw and make sure the switch you use is rated to handle it. Also use heavy enough wire to carry the current. Allow for voltage drop for the length of the wire. Unless your lights pull a LOT of current, you should be ok just using the switch.

Zepol95

Nothing needs to switch them, as they have switches on them, but I expect he'll bypass that feature.
There are switches on these lights? Thats awesome! If you are using the switches on the lights themselves..then no relay..If you are using a remote switch, they I'd recommend a relay. As stated before in previous posts, voltage drop and the load on the switch is the main issue.