• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding PTO winch

Bo1

I have found an all original deuce in very nice shape, but it does not have a winch.
I was wondering generally how difficult it would be to add the stock winch, and bumper to this truck, and about the average cost. Thanks for any input.

Bo

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take off kits are usually from $750 to $1500 and install is fairly straight forward. There are some threads on it here.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure you know how many gaskets to install on the PTO for the proper backlash. It's easier to find a deuce with a winch.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure you know how many gaskets to install on the PTO for the proper backlash. It's easier to find a deuce with a winch.
That is what I did, just bought a winch truck from the start. If you put the winch on yourself, make sure the backlash on the PTO is correct. This is set by the gasket thickness. The PTO backlash was a good point to bring up, glcaines.

icecreamman

Send me a PM. A gentleman I recently bought a deuce WO/W has one in plastic for sale. Winch only, no linkages or driveshaft. He does have the bumper extensions.

Bo1

Thanks guys,
I have not decided if I am going to buy the truck yet or not. I would much rather find a truck in good shape with a winch already on it, but will consider this truck if I cannot find one. I will get back with y'all about a winch if I decide to get this truck.

Thanks again,
Bo

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd say, buy that truck if its a good deal, and if you are not afraid of doing some wrenching, yourself.
For a non-winch to W/W- conversion there is more than enough info and pics posted here; plus many "experts" too, who would be glad to guide you, step-by-step.

G.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would be glad to offer advice. Unlike the experts though, I've only done a half dozen or so of the installs.

Last edited:

Bo1

Thanks for the advise G, I don't really consider it a "good deal", just a clean truck with low miles and hours good cover on the bed, and it comes with a M105 trailer with a good cover on it. The guy can't take any less than 8400 bucks, which makes me take a step back.. I'm new to this, and the price seems a little high...

I don't have any issues turning a wrench, I can find my way around in the tool box, and I have a 30X40 shop in my back yard.
I was dreaming of going all the way with the truck I buy, and turning it into a double cab 4X4 with some pretty large singles on it. Might be too tall of an order for me, but it does not hurt to think about...:D

Thanks,
Bo

Hainebd

I pieced my pto winch together. Only used parts are brackets and linkage. Cost 1,300. Installed myself. Hardest part after finding all of the parts was removing the bumper bolts. If you keep an eye on the SS classifieds you can get good deals. Another source for hard parts is Teds Trucks. Be sure to use all new mounting hardware. And get a half dozen or so of shear pins. PS that winch will pull the barn doors off.