• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding turn signal wiring to headlight housing

TryDoubleG

I have added LED headlights and I am replacing the front turn signals with the signals in the new headlights. My question is where can I buy a couple of the wiring adapters that are in the back of the housing? Hoping I can source them less expensive than buying a used housing on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

therooster2001

I just did this (added the turn signal with headlights), but was planning on still running the original signals as well. It might be a problem with the headlights that I bought, but when I hooked it up (properly too I might add) I ended up blowing a circuit in the lights, and the main halo white LED's wouldn't work properly, so the turn signal (headlight) was amber and not white.

I duplicated this in the other headlight. Low beam, fine. High beam fine. Blinker, fine. Then any low or high beam has the halo lit amber. So something in the way the HMMWV blinks blew out something in my headlight. I was able to snip the Amber wire, and it did work properly (white halo on when lights on), but don't really trust it now (and a capacitor blew in the other one) so they are now in the trash.

So might have been the crappy ones I got, but fair warning. I was considering just buying another pair and not hooking up the blinker, but am a little gunshy on spending the money again.

Good luck! Post results and if you can, the exact model and where you bought them. I think others are considering this. So far I have only seen one type recommended and it didn't have the blinker, and he didn't hook up the DRL (daylight running lights).

Action

Do you plan on driving this on public roads? If so, i would check with the police if that is legal. Like me previous comment about having to look into an oncoming headlight to see a blinker, which may have to be brighter than the headlight to be seen. Why not just remove your blinkers and use arm signals?

TryDoubleG

Rooster. Thanks for the feedback. I read something similar before and they said they replaced the bulb in the turn signal switch with an LED and it prevented the same thing from happening again. I got those bulbs for the the instrument cluster and ordered an extra for the turn signal switch in preparation.

I am trying to do all of this before body work because I plan on have a local fiberglass repair shop cover the front indentations where the original turn signals are now. But I wanted to make sure it all works first.

I just ordered the bulkhead adapters so I can add two more to each can and continue to use the original connectors from the original turn signals.

I am actually most interested in finding a way the DRL turn on when the running lights are on but have them off when the head lights are turned on.

I will update you next week after the bulkhead adapters arrive.

TryDoubleG

A follow up thought.
Did you wire in the separate extensions supplied with the aftermarket lights? There appears to be a built in voltage reducer which may also help.

therooster2001

Most of these are multi-volt. 10v-30v. But check the specs first.

My lights didn’t come with an anti flicker or voltage reducers, they were straight hookups (well i soldered on Packard connectors)m and the pigtails they included were actually wrong for the ends they provided (not the blades), someone screwed up the packaging...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks