• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Addition of 1 Ton Bed Crane

Another Ahab

It's in my deuce but I scavenged some old bits of a LAV crane and built some pieces to make the turnable spindle - it's just got a hand winch but works well I ended up putting 4" receiver pockets in the corners of the bed so you can put the crane anywhere...

Just another way to skin the cat...
Outstanding on all fronts, including the storage brackets for the tow-bar.

And you must own a small armory: because if that's a gunsafe being hoisted into the house, that's no compact junior model you got there. Got to be one fine collection.

gunsafe.jpg

Last edited:
604042_4898634836098_1069337987_n.jpg0903131743a.jpg0925142329a.jpgCIMG3924.jpg

Had to put the other crane in there too - mounting the gun ring...

Some fun toys in the box - 1919a4 in 7.62x51, BA110 in .338 lapua, and a SA M3a1 in .45 ACP

Ha ha - yep - the scary part about the safe is a second one just got added since that one is full...

Ddmk18

I mounted a bearing between the upper and lower davit on my m931a2 and have used it to lift a mt654 trans and my Mep-002a in and out of the bed. Yes it bows some but has never failed.

srodocker

Oh matt and his toys...Should post about your dual steer willys!!!

back on the track.

Cant wait to put one on my truck and I plan on doing same thing wanderingwillys did and put a place to mount in all 4 corners.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I mounted a bearing between the upper and lower davit on my m931a2 and have used it to lift a mt654 trans and my Mep-002a in and out of the bed. Yes it bows some but has never failed.
Pretty sure this is what I was thinking of. Could you post some info on the bearing and some pics?

And SSSHHHHHH! Scott - yes back on track...

I ended up using a big diesel engine valve rotator bearing (Sulzer Z-40) as the thrust bearing in my assembly - it has a bronze lower sleeve and the load rests on the turn-a-mat bearing. Everything just slides apart so you can move it around in pieces so it's not so heavy.

Matt

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back on track with some updates...

The winch I added came with some 5/32" cable which is...small. The hole in the drum let me go up to 3/16" so I spooled a new length of cable just long enough to do what I needed and leave some wraps on the drum. Original length was 50' and I respooled with 25'.

In the picture below you can see the extension I made for two-parting the line. I have plenty of headroom for the block now as opposed to using the factory chain grab. It's made out of C-channel and has worked real nice. You can also see the new block I picked up. This one is better than the other since it has a bushing and is greasable. It's also heavier so it unspools the cable better without me having to help.

IMG_20150301_181616_138.jpg

I've been wanting a decent set of slings for a while but I haven't had enough need for them to justify paying for some good ones. After getting this crane I quickly found I could use some now. The problem was that the ones I wanted, with the attachments I wanted, were expensive to say the least.

I already had the rated chain so I pieced the rest together over a couple of weeks from eBay. I've got about $120 tied up in both of them after all was said and done. Now I have two slings that will work for anything I want to pick up.

IMG_20150228_120950_897.jpg

IMG_20150228_120738_400.jpg

IMG_20150228_120941_253.jpg

IMG_20150228_120932_638.jpg

Ddmk18

For the bearing design on my tire davit I use 2 Chevy 1500 4wd wheel bearing assemblies. They are 7 inch flange which is the same as the davit and I cut the flange off one bearing and welded it to the back of the other and drilled it to fit the bolt pattern. I got the bearings free from when we change them at the shop on customers cars.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you guys end up wanting some 1/4 inch stainless wire rope, let me know, I have some spools of it.
Honestly I would of liked to go 1/4", and would take you up on the offer if I could, but the hole in the drum will only allow me to go up to 3/16". The drum being such a small diameter would start causing other issues with a larger cable as well. I'll keep that in mind though.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

For the bearing design on my tire davit I use 2 Chevy 1500 4wd wheel bearing assemblies. They are 7 inch flange which is the same as the davit and I cut the flange off one bearing and welded it to the back of the other and drilled it to fit the bolt pattern. I got the bearings free from when we change them at the shop on customers cars.
Like a lot to see a picture of that if you have the time to snap it, please.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I finally got everything like I want it, and the weather was nice yesterday, so a little paint was in order...

IMG_20150303_180249_065.jpg

I actually went synthetic with mine - got some 5/16" AmSteel-Blue AS-78 stuff from the local marine shop - they even spliced a thimble into the end so I can just put a shackle on it - the stuff is rated at a breaking strength of 13,700 lbs and has no memory, stray wires, or corrosion issues like steel wire rope...

Pretty slick ;)

Swamp Donkey - that jib crane install looks quite nice - I like it

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I actually went synthetic with mine - got some 5/16" AmSteel-Blue AS-78 stuff from the local marine shop - they even spliced a thimble into the end so I can just put a shackle on it - the stuff is rated at a breaking strength of 13,700 lbs and has no memory, stray wires, or corrosion issues like steel wire rope...

Pretty slick ;)

Swamp Donkey - that jib crane install looks quite nice - I like it
Thanks man. The synthetic rope is an interesting idea. How does it secure to the drum? The drum on mine uses a set screw but I think that would damage the rope.

Another Ahab

Thanks man. The synthetic rope is an interesting idea. How does it secure to the drum? The drum on mine uses a set screw but I think that would damage the rope.
And if you ford too deep, it might be the only part of your rig that bops to the top; it floats: