• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adhesive for silicone rubber

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The gasket for the engine hatch on the 8x8 needs mending and I'm looking for a glue that will work on it. Silicone rubber must be glued to aluminum, that's the problem. I have used "Goop" a silicon glue for a lot of things, but it doesn't work at all in this application.
The one image below shows the gasket freshly cut and the Goop just about fell off when handled 12 hours later. Is there a primer that should be used for silicone rubber?

I have been told that an acrylic based adhesive is supposed to work, but haven't found any yet. If any of you have any pointers, let me know (Cabell is looking, and I appreciate that).
The internet has surprisingly little info on this, at least I haven't found any good references. 3M recommends "Super weatherstrip" contact cement, which is where I am at the moment.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you ever used Pliobond? it says "seals" on the items it works on list. It is fuel resistant. I have some that I plan too use on a seam(vinyl cargo cover). It is available in small inexpensive($4-6) bottles at Ace hardware and many other places.
I don't think I have any scrap silicone seals, or I could test it for you.(I'll look around this weekend)

Nonotagain

The failure mode appears to be the interface between the silicone rubber seal and the adhesive.

What you need is a self priming silicone adhesive or a silicone primer.

Since your seal is red in color, RTV-106 would be a good choice for the silicone adhesive. McMaster-Carr sells RTV-106 as part number 74975A53 in 2.8 ounce tubes @ $16.63 per tube.

As for a primer, Dow Corning DC-1200 would be a good primer choice. Only problem is that you have to purchase a larger quanity than you need.

3M #80001 Super Weather Strip adhesive (aka Gorilla snot)will harden with age and is not solvent resistant.

Jones

Bjorn,
The 3M Weatherstripping Adhesive is a good idea.
Another adhesive I've found that sticks pretty good is Sikaflex-280. It's primarily a windshield adhesive but if you've ever seen what a job removing a late model windshield is, you'll know how well it works.
I just looked at their site and it looks like the Sikaflex line includes a number of adhesives for different applications.

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the inputs!
Just tried 3M "Super weatherstrip" (#03602) and it peels like dead skin. Also tried Permatex contact cement (#25905) with similar result.
Work in progress here...
When we used a silicone encapsulant for electronic circuitry, way back, a primer was needed for it to stick to the metal cases, not so easy to find "over the counter", more of an industrial thing. DC-1200? Something to check out....

If Sikaflex is anything like Goop, it will probably also need a primer to work.

Note: There is more to fix than what's shown in the image above, a 30-inch strip needs to be glued on.

Have some super glue right here on my desk...tested it while typing this and it works, but not a very strong bond.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since a primer is hard to come by (industrial item, hard to ship etc), I have tested a few other adhesives and found JB Weld to stick very well to a small sample of the silicone rubber gasket. Used it on the engine hatch cover this morning and will post the result when it is cured...

GoHot229

Gorilla glue. do the proper set time and stick it. Might want some smaller weak clamps to hold in place to avoid the crush, it will mabe deform and stick that way if you crush the foam in spots, mabe ice cream sticks to distribute the clamping. some Harbor freight jobs, or Big lots or Tractor Supply. Also for other stuff, Gorrila Duct Tape.....its the 'kind' ie. 500 mph tape, serriously good stuff. If your wanting to clean it off first, plain o'l acitone, a pint will do. Should get everything for $20 or less

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks