• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adjust FDC on the fly???

tm america

Awsome job i really like this idea i want to do this to my truck too...it would be nice to drive around with the fuel turned down and when i'm playing offroad crank it up and let the fun times roll.8)How did you attach the cable to the fdc piston ?

Green Toys

Can your truck do this?

Ok, I have only ever driven my truck, it’s an m52a2 with the 5 ton multi-fuel, it’s after cooled the injection pump is adjustable on the fly by a cable on the dash and the waist gate on the turbo has been blocked off. I have checked the accuracy of the boost gauge with a remote gauge, it is accurate. I installed the pyrometer in the exhaust manifold, and it seems to be accurate. I have has it up to 1500 before but only for a second, I run it @ 1200 for hours pulling and have had no ill effects. I guess my question is, (can your truck do this) or have I really done well with mine? Including the truck trailer and load I’m pushing 60K pounds an it cruses @ 55 MPH motor @ 2150 all day long with no problems. Granted I live in Florida where there are no hills. Let me know what you think. Green Toys:beer:

PS: I know the video sucks, the boost gauge has a max of 30 psi and the pyrometer is 300-1500 in 300 increments.

YouTube - VIDEO0003

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I run mine at 1200 a LOT. I have only had it up to 1300, but I guess your doing ok so far. I can't wait to put my big turbo on. Its on the "list", but I have a big azz list! :cool:

oddshot

Bump.

Its been a couple weeks ... any updates to this thread?

I'm also interested in opinions concerning the feasibility/wisdom of doing this mod to a M35a2.

IF (and a BIG if) used with a good pyro ... my thinking is this SHOULD improve both MPG's AND power both.

Just an observation ... I think the operation of the throttle cable is kind of backward. Were I to give this a try, I think I would try to arrange it so that IN would be the position of most normal use and pulled OUT would be for more power.

I know it would be a bit more complicated ... but I wonder if it could be done?

oddshot

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bump.

Its been a couple weeks ... any updates to this thread?

I'm also interested in opinions concerning the feasibility/wisdom of doing this mod to a M35a2.

IF (and a BIG if) used with a good pyro ... my thinking is this SHOULD improve both MPG's AND power both.

Just an observation ... I think the operation of the throttle cable is kind of backward. Were I to give this a try, I think I would try to arrange it so that IN would be the position of most normal use and pulled OUT would be for more power.

I know it would be a bit more complicated ... but I wonder if it could be done?

oddshot
Yea just hook it to the main fuel shaft (two nut) and when you pull it will pull shaft out and add more fuel. Hooking to the servo was a cool idea but still only gives you as much fuel as the main is set for. Hooking to the main you can go to almost full fuel and back to stock setting. The outher way is to turn up the main fuel (two nuts) about 4 turns and then use what should be at the end of your right leg and whats should be on top of your shoulders to control fuel.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
all things considered, this is just a foolish idea. like james said, set the fuel to max safe amount and use your head to control economy. wait, economy and deuce is an oxymoron! one way you may get 10 mpg and the other you may get way less.

tom

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
72 mph? where is that? oh i see it, that is a 5 ton. there is no way a deuce with stock tires would go 72 mph!!
even on my truck, 72 mph would be 2800 rpm, but i advise against turning over 2500 rpm

tom

Last edited:

Green Toys

72 mph? where is that? oh i see it, that is a 5 ton. there is no way a deuce with stock tires would go 72 mph!!
even on my truck, 72 mph would be 2800 rpm, but i advise against turning over 2500 rpm

tom
Overdrive transmission and 395 tires, around 2600 rpm :grd:

Green Toys

I will take the fdc off this weekend and make some instructions and take some pictures , as long as the wife gives me time to. LOL

oddshot

All things considered, this is just a foolish idea.

Perhaps to some, certainly not to all. If the Deuce is being used as a sometime driven hobby vehicle ... then I guess fuel costs, or more accurately, cost per mile doesn't mean much.

BUT ... if the truck is being driven 350 to 400 miles a week ... then maybe its not so foolish. That having been said, I know there are a number of folks on this forum that are intolerant of the idea that these trucks might be driven, if not daily ... but regularly.

An increase of just ONE MPG is fifty MILES in just ONE tankful. For a truck getting 10 MPG ... that's a saving of TWENTY BUCKS.

To those who drive these thing on a regular basis ... fuel economy ... ESPECIALLY at prices over $4.00 per gallon is not all that foolish.

Like James said, set the fuel to max safe amount and use your head to control economy.

Or ... set it to the MINIMUM safe amount and use a cable to increase power when needed. If the pump is set to MAX power ALL THE TIME ... cost per mile goes up.

Wait, economy and deuce is an oxymoron!

Not really. A large number of us are using WMO to power these things to keep the fuel costs down.

Using WMO I have my cost of operation down to 11 cents per mile and I'm thinking I can make that number even better. Given the price of gasoline 11 cents ain't to shabby for a vehicle with this utility.

One way you may get 10 mpg and the other you may get way less.

Conversely, right now you may be getting 7 MPG ... and you might be able to get MORE.

tom
The MKL's will tell me "If you want economy ... stop being a whiney Nube ... buy a Honda."

I don't WANT a Honda and I ain't whining or complaining.

I want the utility of this truck ... AND I want the BEST performance that it can deliver.

This mod, combined with an ETG maybe a good cheap SAFE way to get the best economy AND power that the Deuce can give.

oddshot

Last edited:

Green Toys

If I had to leave my truck stock, I don't think I would drive it on the road much. Just too dam slow, the motor has the potential you just have to drive by the egt's.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
all things considered, this is just a foolish idea. like james said, set the fuel to max safe amount and use your head to control economy. wait, economy and deuce is an oxymoron! one way you may get 10 mpg and the other you may get way less.

tom
Tom, I understand where you're coming from. But by your account, I've got a foolish bit of $1000 hardware/electronics on my pickup truck to do basically the same thing. Personally I drive by gauges when it comes to my diesels. Only the newest deuce doesn't have gauges. (That will change once I'm done with getting all the loose ends tied up on the first one) Even my little diesel samurai and wife's CRD have EGT and boost gauges. I personally would love to be able to dial in the fueling on the fly. Once you've had vehicles that you can do this on, you're spoiled. Short bursts to1300+ won't kill a diesel, sustained blasts of high temps tend to harm the turbine of the turbo, pistons, and valves.

FWIW, here's a pic of a cummins 5.9 piston with 234K miles on them. The last 20K I know had excessive fueling and countless blasts of 1300+ temps.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/patracy/Chevy/ae3ee642.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/patracy/Chevy/bab96a62.jpg

The only reason it was torn down was to replace a cracked block (water jacket). That engine is still running to this day.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
But gentelmen I think you missed the point. Turn up the main fuel to full closed and no mods needed. Just use your foot, head and gages. When you turn up the main all you are doing is controling how far the spill port is allowed to close by way of the throttel peddel.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
But gentelmen I think you missed the point. Turn up the main fuel to full closed and no mods needed. Just use your foot, head and gages.
I personally would rather have the pump turned up a slight bit too much for normal driving around town and on flat ground. That way if I'm loaded or hit a big hill, I can easily reach over and dial things back a bit.

FWIW, my second deuce has had the fuel turned up a LOT. To the point it worries me honestly. I haven't driven it much due to that. But I do drive with my head, I don't keep it floored.

I know my reference to my pickup truck wasn't exactly the same. But there's no way I'd try driving it with the gooseneck and on power level 10 (or anything over 2 for that matter). But it does fall back into my notion of a means to ramp up the power on these trucks for "play". But an easy means to dial it back down when it needs to "work". Just looking at this mod, it looks like it might be all of $25 to achieve.

To some I see the pointlessness of the mod. But to me, I'd like to give it a try.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Green Toys, do you have a part number for that cable? I've seen a few on ebay for a hummer, but I'm afraid the cable is too short for this.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks