• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

adjust pump timing 6,2D

PeterKurz

Hello,
I must check pump timing on my 1984 M1009. As far as I know, the previous owner installed a 6.5 pump, but the engine runs quite loudly/rough . The injectors are renewed, that brought no improvement. You can hear it a little bit in this video starting minute 2:12:

I have a "flash gun" for diesel with which I can flash the pulley on the crankshaft.
Or how do you set your pumps?
Greetings from Germany Hartwig

LT67

Sounds normal to me... and these 6.2 diesel engines are not quiet. If it was quiet, then something is wrong with the fuel delivery or it's losing compression. Have you tried changing the fuel filter to see if it runs better?

Chaski

I don’t know what the timing specs are, that would be helpful to know. Is the cold advance working? Listening to it from my cell phone speaker sounds it sounds normal.

2INSANE

It does sound extremely loud to me. I have some questions before I can make any assumptions.

What 6.5 pump is it? The 4911? 5119?

Is there any unusual smoke when you first start it cold?

Any large amounts of black smoke with medium to heavy acceleration?

Does it overheat when going up long hills?

What is the pop pressure of the injectors?

Can I see video of exhaust as you are parked Revving the motor?

I have a theory but can not assume until you answer these questions.

Keith_J

There is a cam on the passenger side of the pump which is on the throttle shaft, it advances timing based on throttle position. It presses on the throttle advance slide, you should be able to move this slide independently of the throttle with the engine running which will further advance timing and allow ear tuning of timing.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try putting in a healthy dose of Power Service , Stanadyne, or any other flavor of diesel additive and see how it sounds.

Chaski

When you start the vehicle for the first time in the morning and it is less than 10C outside does it run at a higher idle speed and sound louder? There is supposed to be a cold advance circuit that changes the timing when the coolant temp is below 40C (approx). This same circuit energizes both the cold advance and a high idle solenoid. I'd be curious if it ever changes state or if it is stuck for some reason.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks