• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adjusting the steering wheel position

Mtrdrms

On my 1008 the steering wheel is (and has been since I got it) postioned 90 degrees to the right. The alignment of the front wheels is fine and the truck doesnt drift or pull but since the blinker is deactivated by a cam in the column, it won't stay on during a right turn! Can I adjust this with the drag link? Or will I have to realign everything?

Thanks

Andy

StreetbikeDepot

You can straighten it with the drag link, but I'd double check the center of your steering box. Count your turns lock to lock then divide by two and find center, then take notice the steering wheel position vs. wheel position, just to make sure that its not off alot. I've seen guys adjust the drag link, get a little confused on what they where doing and end up with less turning radius to one side or the other and binding against the knuckle stop on the other.

I had to adjust my drag link a little bit on my M1009 to straighten the wheel.

reloader64

Pull your pittman arm off, and see if it has a flat spline every 90 degrees. If so, straighten your steering wheel, put your pittman arm back on, and drive off.

Scott

Croatan_Kid

The pitman arms on the 4x4 trucks has a clamping bolt and the sector shaft on the steering box is spline on only half of the shaft and has a groove for the clamping bolt. They can only go on one way.

The problem is either your draglink or just the steering wheel itself.

Skinny

The pitman arms on the 4x4 trucks has a clamping bolt and the sector shaft on the steering box is spline on only half of the shaft and has a groove for the clamping bolt. They can only go on one way.

The problem is either your draglink or just the steering wheel itself.
I just had my steeering wheel off to repair the dimmer switch, it will only go on one way.
I have a 4" lift with a 2" drop pitman arm. I confirmed that you can only put the steering wheel and pitman arm on one way. My draglink adjustment is bottomed out, cannot make the draglink any shorter. My steering wheel is offcenter to the left. I need to rotate about twenty degrees to center it up. Does anyone know if you can remove the steering shaft and clock it or does it also have a dead spline or flat keeping it in one position only. I would hate to remove it for no reason if someone knows.

Thanks

Well i just put a new Steering gear box on and another steering column in my m1008 and my steering wheel is straight.The easiest way that i found to make sure the wheel is straight is turn your steering wheel till you get your wheels as straight as you can towards the front of the vehicle.After thats is done look in side and see where the wheel is turned to which side. I took the shaft under the hood apart and postioned it to where my steering wheel was straight and bolted it back up and i havent had any problems. ;-)

ODdave

It cannot be re-clocked. I dont know where people get that it can from, The only way to re-clock it is gonna be with a hammer. If it is off center and you are out of adjustment, something is bent or wrong (wrong part) or installed wrong.

Starting with the pitman arm to gear box, there is only a small portion of splines and the rest is flat. Only alows instalation one way.

Gear box to rag joint. roughly 605 splined and a flat cut into it, only fits one way.

Rag joint itself, NOW this is a place somone can screw up, if it hass been dissasembled, it could be put together *180 off. This could be your problem.

Collapsable shaft (intermediate shaft) has a notch stamped into it along with a flat spot on one side, only fits one way

steering wheel to shaft, if you look close you will see that there is a skipped spline that the lock plate clocks off of, your horn plate terminal only fits one way through it and the steering wheel.

Check the rag joint, If you want, flip it and re adjust. See if that gets you closer.

Last edited:

Barrman

A stock steering wheel has a single wide spline that matches up with a wide tooth on the stock steering shaft. There is also a little mark on the steering wheel that matches up with a mark on the end of the steering shaft. Pull your horn cover and you can see the one on the shaft. Pull the horn plate and you can see the mark on the wheel.

Both of the above mentioned marks should be straight up with the steering box centered between lock to lock as described in a post a few up.

If all the above checks out except for the front wheel position. You need to lock the steering wheel in straight ahead with the key, a rope or a real steering wheel holder alignment shops use. Then, adjust the drag link until the tires are straight ahead. Take it for a drive and adjust as needed.

Your best bet is to check the shaft/steering wheel alignment marks, make them right and then take the truck to an alignment shop. Any place with a Hunter machine can make it spot on and get the toe exact in about 15 minutes if your adjustment sleeves aren't rusted shut. How much is your time worth?

Steering wheel isnt right

SouthernSteel and ODdave are confusing me:-(

It can be reclocked but yet only goes on in one postion....aaaaaahhhhhhh

Well i wasnt tryin to confuse ya,I personally dont like taking steering columns apart done it to many times unless i have to put an ignition switch in. Thats how i normally get my steering wheel straight never had any problem. My truck steers straight as an arrow down the road no wandering steering wheel stays straight every time.I wish ya luck .;-) Something else the steering does have a bit of play. I call bumpsteer where you have some play before you actually turn the wheel its what causes your steering wheel to lock.

Btw You can do an alignment yourself at least get it close.As long as you have a flat and 99.9% level concrete slab you can take measurements from the middle of each front wheel all the way across.Pick a spot on the tread and measure to the same spot on the otherside.I used a floor jack to get my truck alignment pretty straight so far so good for me :]

Last edited:
If your steering wheel is installed on the mark and the rag joint is correct the only right way to center the steering wheel is through the drag link. If you cheat it, the truck will turn sharper on way than it will the other way.

I moved my axle forward an inch so my drag link adjustment is also bottomed out. I got lucky as the steering wheel was straight at that point. ORD said I may need to cut some of the threaded section off on the joints for more adjustment. If I made the link any shorter than it already is, a parking spot attempt would end up being a 5 point maneuver! My setup works, but these trucks REALLY need crossover steering as the turning radius sucks, especially after modifications. That's why I declined the drop pitman once it became available. If I cot rid of the nasty drag link angle on my truck, I would definitely need to cut the joints and have very little turning radius.

Skinny

Everything on my truck is installed correctly. My draglink is bottomed out so I may end up shaving a 1/4" off each draglink end so I can further adjustments. Thanks for all the input on the steering shaft parts. Saved me a bunch of time taking it apart for no reason:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks