• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adjusting valve springs

racing4funn

So Ive waited an hour of my life and neglected my kids searching for this threw the TMs and general internet search so that you know who doesn't have a coronary but I cant take it anymore then Im sure someone can point me in the right direction within mins.

One problem Im might have is not having the complete set of TMs. Here is what I have and a point in the right direction on a full set would be nice as well:

TM 9-2320-272-23-1
TM 9-2320-272-23-2
TM 9-2320-272-23-3
TM 9-2320-272-23-4
TM 9-2320-272-23-5
TM9-2320-272-24P-3
I dont seen to have anything in-depth on the motor

Please help on valve spring adjustment. I have a strange chatter coming from the top rear of the motor when it warms up and I want to start there since Ive never checked mine

mahdey

If you have space, do it with a dial indicator. You stick the dial on the rocker, rotate engine until dial stops or starts to move, back up until dial doesn't move as you move engine. Adjust valve, move on to next valve. This is how i do big truck engines.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So Ive waited an hour of my life and neglected my kids searching for this threw the TMs and general internet search so that you know who doesn't have a coronary but I cant take it anymore then Im sure someone can point me in the right direction within mins.

One problem Im might have is not having the complete set of TMs. Here is what I have and a point in the right direction on a full set would be nice as well:

TM 9-2320-272-23-1
TM 9-2320-272-23-2
TM 9-2320-272-23-3
TM 9-2320-272-23-4
TM 9-2320-272-23-5
TM9-2320-272-24P-3
I dont seen to have anything in-depth on the motor

Please help on valve spring adjustment. I have a strange chatter coming from the top rear of the motor when it warms up and I want to start there since Ive never checked mine
They're pretty much all there in the TM section, You're missing the whole -24 here. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?79228-TM-s-for-the-939-series-trucks -34 is available somewhere with a search, forget where they are on line
I've had a good teacher called Doghead but still don't know how to copy the page from the TM to here.

TM 9-2320-272-24-3
4-53. VALVE ADJUSTMENT
THIS TASK COVERS:
Adjustment
INITIAL SETUP:
APPLICABLE MODELS PERSONNEL REQUIRED
M939A2 TWO
SPECIAL TOOLS REFERENCES (TM)
Engine barring tool (Appendix E, Item 43) TM 9-2320-272-24P
TOOLS EQUIPMENT CONDITION
General mechanic’s tool kit (Appendix E, Item 1) Valve cover removed (para. 3-6).
MATERIALS/PARTS
O-ring (Appendix D, Item 444)
Chalk (Appendix C, Item 17)
Assistant will help with this procedure.
Adjustment
1. Remove plug (8) and O-ring (7) from flywheel housing (6). Discard O-ring (7).
Ensure timing pin is pulled out after top dead center is reached.
Failure to do so may damage timing pin.
2. Using engine barring tool, rotate crankshaft (9) clockwise and engage timing pin (10).
3. Make aligning chalk marks (12) on vibration damper (13) and front gearcase cover (11).
4. Loosen twelve locknuts (1), and back off adjusting screws (2) counterclockwise from push rods (5).
Step 5 through 8 are performed for each cylinder.
5. Place feeler gauge, between rocker lever head (3) and valve stem (4).
6. Adjust valve clearance to proper limits. Refer to table 4-7, Valve Clearance Adjustment Limits, step A
7. Tighten adjusting screw (2) until a slight drag is felt on feeler gauge.
8. Tighten locknut (1) 18 lb-ft (24 N-m).
9. Rotate crankshaft (9) clockwise one full turn and realign chalk marks (12).
10. Adjust valve clearance to proper limits using table 4-7
11. Install new O-ring (7) and plug (8) in flywheel housing (6).
Table 4-7. Valve Clearance Adjustment Limits.
CYLINDER STEP A STEP B
1 I and E
2 I E
3 E I
4 I E
5 E I
6 I and E
Valve clearance setting:
I = Intake valve gap
0.012 in. (0.30 mm)
E = Exhaust valve gap
0.024 in. (0.61 mm)
4-326

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks