• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Advantage of a CUCV over Civilian truck

doeber21

I've got a '76 GMC K20 lifted with a 400 in it and a '07 2500HD with a 8.1L in it and my CUCV is still my favorite!! If you don't understand a CUCV for what they are then you probably shouldn't own one. Just my opinion...

jaymcb

Owning an M109 has it's place, but having owned a civvy blazer of the same age, the 1009 makes me smile every time I drive it, so the noise/comfort/smoke/lack of AC just doesn't even register. The 1009's short wheel base makes it a good wheeler. low range is your friend with 3.08's

Understand, I jump into my yukon if I'm not in the mood. As far as a CUCV - find one and drive it. The idea of having a rugged, easy to work on, electronics free machine sitting and ready to hit the key on if something bad happens is comforting.

It's even manageable for my wife to drive.

rickf

thanks for wasting our time have a nice day.
Was that really called for? He was asking a legit question and he got answers and made a decision based on those answers.

Tacticaldoc, You can go to any Four wheel drive shop and get what you need to beef up the suspension on the truck you have. The only concern I would have is all of the computers that control everything on your vehicle. In a true SHTF scenario they would be wiped out where there are no computers on an old Diesel. There seems to be some conflicting info being given to you because some are talking about 1009's and others are talking about 1008's. The 1008 is the one you are concerned with. Even if there were no EMP as soon as one of those computers decided it did not like the conditions you would be dead in the water.
On another note, the gas in your cans is only good for about 6 months even with Stabil in it. Be sure to rotate it out.

Rick

ABN173

Guys I know Matt, yes he may rub people the wrong way as he is a typical "type A" personality.
Type A

The theory describes a Type A individual as ambitious, aggressive, business-like, controlling, highly competitive, preoccupied with his or her status, time-conscious, arrogant and tightly-wound. People with Type A personalities are often high-achieving "workaholics" who multi-task, push themselves with deadlines, and hate both delays and ambivalence.
In his 1996 book, Type A Behavior: Its Diagnosis and Treatment, Friedman suggests that Type A behavior is expressed in three major symptoms: free-floating hostility, which can be triggered by even minor incidents; time urgency and impatience, which causes irritation and exasperation usually described as being "short-fused"; and a competitive drive, which causes stress and an achievement-driven mentality. The first of these symptoms is believed to be covert and therefore less observable, while the other two are more overt. [1]
Type B

The theory describes Type B individuals as perfect contrast to those with Type A personalities. People with Type B personalities are generally apathetic, patient, relaxed, easy-going, no sense of time schedule, and at times lacking an overriding sense of urgency. These individuals tend to be sensitive of other people's feelings

The mods have seen fit to ban him for awhile. Was his comment rude? yes probably. Is he a bad guy that would not help you? absolutely not. He will try to tone it down some, but also as we say in the infantry try to have thick skins and not let little stuff get to you (us).

-Dale

rickf

Guys I know Matt, yes he may rub people the wrong way as he is a typical "type A" personality.
Type A

The theory describes a Type A individual as ambitious, aggressive, business-like, controlling, highly competitive, preoccupied with his or her status, time-conscious, arrogant and tightly-wound. People with Type A personalities are often high-achieving "workaholics" who multi-task, push themselves with deadlines, and hate both delays and ambivalence.
In his 1996 book, Type A Behavior: Its Diagnosis and Treatment, Friedman suggests that Type A behavior is expressed in three major symptoms: free-floating hostility, which can be triggered by even minor incidents; time urgency and impatience, which causes irritation and exasperation usually described as being "short-fused"; and a competitive drive, which causes stress and an achievement-driven mentality. The first of these symptoms is believed to be covert and therefore less observable, while the other two are more overt. [1]
Type B

The theory describes Type B individuals as perfect contrast to those with Type A personalities. People with Type B personalities are generally apathetic, patient, relaxed, easy-going, no sense of time schedule, and at times lacking an overriding sense of urgency. These individuals tend to be sensitive of other people's feelings

The mods have seen fit to ban him for awhile. Was his comment rude? yes probably. Is he a bad guy that would not help you? absolutely not. He will try to tone it down some, but also as we say in the infantry try to have thick skins and not let little stuff get to you (us).

-Dale
That is all fine and good but this is an INFORMATION forum first and foremost and that was what the OP was looking for and got. I get a kick out of your type A description. Most of those descriptions would not fit well in a FREE information type of setting. I guess I am a B+ type, I want to get things done but not step on others to do it. I am far from apathetic.

Rick

rickf

[but also as we say in the infantry try to have thick skins and not let little stuff get to you (us). ]

By the way, although a couple of bullets have made their way through my skin the insults do not bother me. I am just thinking of the overall image that is projected of the site. It was on a steep decline for a while there because of that kind of stuff and has since turned around. Just don't want to see a relapse as if my lone voice will do squat, but at least I tried.

Rick

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...., yes he may rub people the wrong way as he is a typical "type A" personality.
Type A
Some of these types have been permantly banned from this site. NVRESCUE is one that comes to mind.

soule64

I know when the tornadoes hit last year, gas was rationed when even available. I could always find diesel. In a pinch, you could always scrounge JP4/5, home heating oil or kerosene.

ABN173

You guys are all correct. Just saying he feels bad about it, and he has been banned. I just don't want to see the thread degrade further by bashing him for the rude comments is all. He has already been banned. Heck that is bad enough.

-Dale

PAm1009

the 6.2 detroit is music to my ears... people hate it for some reason i cant get enough of it i have much love for these engines

ABN173

That is all fine and good but this is an INFORMATION forum first and foremost and that was what the OP was looking for and got. I get a kick out of your type A description. Most of those descriptions would not fit well in a FREE information type of setting. I guess I am a B+ type, I want to get things done but not step on others to do it. I am far from apathetic.

Rick
Hi Rick,

I'd say I am somewhere in between those definitions myself. It is not "my" definition just one found online. Sorry if it was implied anyone is apathetic, it was just added since when I discussed the matter with Matt it occurred to me he is a "type A" much like the many are in the infantry. When he himself did not know what "type A" was I figured others might not either. Anyway he feels bad about it and its not like he can post an apology himself.

-Dale

rickf

He was good, and accurate, all the way up to that parting shot. I have no problems with him. Hope he is back soon.

Rick

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trac loc limited slip.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/79465-no-spin-detroit-locker-owner-manual.html

DETROIT LOCKER MANUAL I posted a while back - if you have one, it's THIS one

sheesh, I guess I'm a type A personality for posting that info?

can we get back on the original subject

why is it that no one mentions there are lots of small differences between the D30 and the K30

first is the overall 'rating' of the truck - 5/4 ton - NONE of the civi trucks rate things like this

overall build quality was the same, except where the military required heavier pieces or simple changes - the front hub assembly comes to mind - DEFINITELY NOT civilian style IF you have an original one...

the CUCV's START with the 'civilian' part of the truck and then upgrade from there, so they are NOT JUST another 'K' truck - hence the 'D' designation -

Last edited:

flighht2k5

Banned
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/79465-no-spin-detroit-locker-owner-manual.html

DETROIT LOCKER MANUAL I posted a while back - if you have one, it's THIS one

sheesh, I guess I'm a type A personality for posting that info?

can we get back on the original subject

why is it that no one mentions there are lots of small differences between the D30 and the K30

first is the overall 'rating' of the truck - 5/4 ton - NONE of the civi trucks rate things like this

overall build quality was the same, except where the military required heavier pieces or simple changes - the front hub assembly comes to mind - DEFINITELY NOT civilian style IF you have an original one...

the CUCV's START with the 'civilian' part of the truck and then upgrade from there, so they are NOT JUST another 'K' truck - hence the 'D' designation -
We were talkinng about the front diff.

rickf

Front hubs are exactly the same as a civvie 3/4 heavy or a one ton. The standard 3/4 ton came with an eight lug Dana 44 front. The rest are all standard Dana 60.

Rick

bigginstactical

So if I was sitting in front of two 84 blazers, one CUCV and one civi, which one should be bought? I'm torn, here CUCVs are expensive but i can find Blazers all day long.... in fact i just made one call and found two for under 3k. Is it more advantageous to have the diesel or gas? I don't care about fuel price. If you had to do it over again would you stick with CUCV or go civi and mil it out? Thanks for your opinions in advance.

Abbylind

CUCV...no AC...no frills...need upkeep...but fairly easy to work on..Parts are sometimes easy to find ,sometimes not. Gotta remember CUCV was a stop gap measure for the military until the HMMV was produced. It was to last 10 years or so. They took off the shelf civilian vehicles and converted them to military specs. After the expected life they were supposed to be scrapped. We as military vehicle owners have extended the life of these vehicles, added new items, and have a fun with them.
K5...AC....frills, in an 80s format. Parts are easier to find. May not be as durable as the CUCV. If you like older civilian Chevys this would be your cup of tea.
I personally like military vehicles so my choice would be the CUCV.....