• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Advantage of a CUCV over Civilian truck

bigginstactical

I really want a CUCV but like I said they are pretty tough to find here :( I would love to have a 6.2 because my buddy builds turbo assemblies and I know he would do one for me.... and possible for retail to members here. Ill keep my eyes open! Although the lady would kill me if i roll more green iron in before I finish the deuce haha!

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Copy of DSC02967.jpg

Going back to the original subject of this thread, that is, whether to purchase a civi unit or a CUCV -

I just purchased a brand new fully loaded Chevrolet Avalanche at a cost upwards of $55,000. It is without a doubt the most comfortable vehicle I have ever owned or driven. The thing has gadgets I can't even figure out, even a DVD player for the folks in the back seat! There is no way any CUCV could ever match the comfort, power, convenience, and reliability of this vehicle.

However having said that, whenever I climb up in my completely restored 12,000-mile M1028, I transend into a different state of mind. Something happens inside me, something I cannot describe in words, but is real. I seem to acquire the same feeling as in 1969, when I purchased a brand new Camaro Z-28 and cruised through Shoney's every night so everybody could "see" it. Whenever I pull my M1028 out for a spin, it's as if every other motorist and pedestrian are watching me. I don't know why, but at 62 years old, I LIKE this feeling.

Looking back at my receipts of labor and parts, my M1028 restoration costs exceeded $20,000. Add to that the original purchase price of the truck and shipping costs from Arizona, and I have over $25,000 invested. Was it worth it? Heck yes. That 1969 feeling is priceless.

So in summary, I don't think the question should be which to purchase - a civi or CUCV. They are two different things to achieve two different goals. I am fortunate to be able to afford both. I wouldn't hesitate to drive my M1028 across the country tomorrow if I had to. But if I had to go and still had my Avalanche, you can be assured my butt would be in that heated leather seat with the cruise control on.

Hope this helps.

bigginstactical

My original goal with the question i posed was to see if it is worth waiting to find a CUCV or just buying a civi with a gas motor. I'm torn if i should hold out for the diesel or just go with a cheap, easy to maintain gas rig. There is something to be said for owning a true piece of military history, as we all can attest. I will drive the rig quite often but like Sharecropper, I too, have a normal daily driver that I will keep because the creature comforts of newer rigs are so dang hard to beat! So I guess it boils down to if I would like a real piece of history or not... I'm leaning more towards a real CUCV and sticking out the fight to find one with a good diesel motor. That is unless they are not worth it haha! :???:

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
biggins - I watch GL regularly and can attest that there are still excellent low mileage CUCV's available. I would suggest you watch for an Arizona vehicle with low miles. A nice straight M1028 with 28,000 miles just sold for a little above $5,000, which is a deal! Once you have acquired a nice, rust-free truck, I strongly recomment you take-your-time and replace all rubber parts and grease all electrical connections. Then you can repair/replace parts as needed.

Hope this helps.

bigginstactical

I have actually started to look there because I have an uncle who lives there so shipping could be set up easy! Ill just keep looking!;)

biggins - I watch GL regularly and can attest that there are still excellent low mileage CUCV's available. I would suggest you watch for an Arizona vehicle with low miles. A nice straight M1028 with 28,000 miles just sold for a little above $5,000, which is a deal! Once you have acquired a nice, rust-free truck, I strongly recomment you take-your-time and replace all rubber parts and grease all electrical connections. Then you can repair/replace parts as needed.

Hope this helps.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have actually started to look there because I have an uncle who lives there so shipping could be set up easy! Ill just keep looking!;)
Don't discount the local CUCVs. I picked up one that was a range truck on Ft Lewis, new motor and completely rust free. I drive it daily between Kitsap and Bellevue as well as take it out over the Hood Canal into the Olympic Mountains. It starts as easy as a gasser and runs smooth. I have about 102,500 miles on it so far, and it's taking a huge load off my Grand Cherokee Hemi Limited, especially the door-dingers on the ferry (who usually end up with my CARC on their door).

bigginstactical

Oh trust me Ill be looking mostly local. I really don't want to deal with shipping. I have found a few but none felt right yet. Need a little more funds and would like to be done with my deuce before i pull the trigger on a new MV.
Don't discount the local CUCVs. I picked up one that was a range truck on Ft Lewis, new motor and completely rust free. I drive it daily between Kitsap and Bellevue as well as take it out over the Hood Canal into the Olympic Mountains. It starts as easy as a gasser and runs smooth. I have about 102,500 miles on it so far, and it's taking a huge load off my Grand Cherokee Hemi Limited, especially the door-dingers on the ferry (who usually end up with my CARC on their door).

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My original goal with the question i posed was to see if it is worth waiting to find a CUCV or just buying a civi with a gas motor. I'm torn if i should hold out for the diesel or just go with a cheap, easy to maintain gas rig. There is something to be said for owning a true piece of military history, as we all can attest. I will drive the rig quite often but like Sharecropper, I too, have a normal daily driver that I will keep because the creature comforts of newer rigs are so dang hard to beat! So I guess it boils down to if I would like a real piece of history or not... I'm leaning more towards a real CUCV and sticking out the fight to find one with a good diesel motor. That is unless they are not worth it haha! :???:

Reading this while thread from start to finish for the first time tonight, my conclusion is you have answered your own question. You want a CUCV. That said I think it is also important that you keep a civi newer daily driver.

rickf

You are aware that the civvie blazer also came with a diesel aren't you? The trucks are exactly the same except for the funky military wiring on the CUCV which in reality is a detriment because you cannot just go to any junkyard for parts. The mechanicals are all the same between the civvie and the military on the Blazer and on the pickup they are all the same with the exception of the extremely low 4:56 gears. The pick-ups had the same goofy wiring issues. Body parts and driveline are all the same as civilian. The Military Blazer uses a turbo 400 transmission where the civilian model uses a 700R4 which has overdrive. VERY sought after!

bigginstactical

Well it appears I made up my mind. Found a good deal and took the plunge. Very nice shape 86. Almost zero rust :) Good runner. Just going to clean up, maintain and drive it. Sorry the trailer pic is a little blurry. image(8).jpgimage(9).jpgphoto(9).jpg

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well it appears I made up my mind. Found a good deal and took the plunge. Very nice shape 86. Almost zero rust :) Good runner. Just going to clean up, maintain and drive it. Sorry the trailer pic is a little blurry.
Nice, I saw that one. :beer:

Hey, did he leave the box in the back, and if so, can I have it?

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well it appears I made up my mind. Found a good deal and took the plunge. Very nice shape 86. Almost zero rust :) Good runner. Just going to clean up, maintain and drive it. Sorry the trailer pic is a little blurry.
Very Nice! As stated earlier by another, once you get in your M1009 you enter a whole new world. Looks in good shape and a great starting point!

burroughs

I enjoy my 1986 CUCV M1028, it gets great mileage and i have less than 43,000 miles on it. I drive it everyday and i get about 20 mpg's everything is still
original and I turn heads everyday. If you buy one they are easy to work on.

best of luck,
Burroughs USMC

usmcpatriot

People make me laugh! I live in the sticks...when the country boys see my truck they salivate! My truck spells go, go, go ,go. Winter time, my truck is running, summer time my truck is running....rough terrain, wet terrain, any terrain, my truck is running.....diesel, kerosene, biodiesel....my truck is running! No computers! Simple electrics...Parts in abundance...I see the big boys, all jacked up, big ess wheels, double stacks, triple shocks....the CUCV is straight simple. This truck aint going to pasture anytime soon....Ugly, loud, old.....no problem! Tell you what, passed many a vehicle stuck on stupid, I just keep going!

Westech

CPL
They are tough, shielded from EMP's (so I been told..)
EMP shielded? I do not think so.
They are very few Military vehicles that are EMP shielded and I have worked on one. Only one, and you need clearance to even look inside it.
How do people get the Idea that the CUCV is all this zombie, atom bomb run away from the in-laws truck...... just tin foil hat crap.

They are a good old pile of crap trucks. they take a LOAD of PM due to age and a few upgrades to make them somewhat reliable.
If you are not able to rebuild a engine or wiring scares you just get a 4 door Jeep wrangler and a mini van.

Love Westy

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
EMP shielded? I do not think so.
They are very few Military vehicles that are EMP shielded and I have worked on one. Only one, and you need clearance to even look inside it.
How do people get the Idea that the CUCV is all this zombie, atom bomb run away from the in-laws truck...... just tin foil hat crap.

They are a good old pile of crap trucks. they take a LOAD of PM due to age and a few upgrades to make them somewhat reliable.
If you are not able to rebuild a engine or wiring scares you just get a 4 door Jeep wrangler and a mini van.

Love Westy
From TV where else.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks