• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Advantage of a CUCV over Civilian truck

the skull

I'm going to butt in here. I've worked on lots of stuff, from cars to tractors, bobcats
to motorcycles, civics to grain trucks. I don't believe that CUCV's are much different
from 1970's farm tractors, once you understand the basics, and read a couple of
TM's for the particulars, they're pretty much simple. I tell my guys at work, my 1008
has already outlasted whatever they are driving.

Maintenance is a key part of equipment ownership......expect to spend a little
money on upkeep, if you don't, well..........sell your broken junk and buy new.
Remember, the military got rid of it, and you ended up with it.

Westech...........I wouldn't have a Wrangler.....or a minivan. Scrap prices
are dropping and I got a small trailer.
:rant: Thanks.

Iceman3005

I had not owned a civi vehicle for 5 years, until I bought my 87 K30 4 door dually back in 2013. I sold all my newer vehicles in 2008 and went back to the good old chevy, but took it one step further and got a K30 m1008. I wanted a vehicle with no computer, easy to work on, inexpensive parts, solid axles like my first truck when I was 16 (79 chevy), good fuel economy, and fun to drive. After owning newer vehicles all I can say is I hate them, as a mechanic I am consistently working on these newer vehicles due to electrical issues, computer issues, and the list goes on! My old M1008..............well other than maintenance I haven't done anything major to it in.........................well 4 years! Only majors are because of poor handling by the military when I bought it (bent drive shafts, axle seals leaking, head gasket leak). So in my honest opinion, get rid of that newer truck and go with a cucv!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had not owned a civi vehicle for 5 years, until I bought my 87 K30 4 door dually back in 2013. I sold all my newer vehicles in 2008 and went back to the good old chevy, but took it one step further and got a D30 m1008. I wanted a vehicle with no computer, easy to work on, inexpensive parts, solid axles like my first truck when I was 16 (79 chevy), good fuel economy, and fun to drive. After owning newer vehicles all I can say is I hate them, as a mechanic I am consistently working on these newer vehicles due to electrical issues, computer issues, and the list goes on! My old M1008..............well other than maintenance I haven't done anything major to it in.........................well 4 years! Only majors are because of poor handling by the military when I bought it (bent drive shafts, axle seals leaking, head gasket leak). So in my honest opinion, get rid of that newer truck and go with a cucv!
Fixed the model designation for you , military models are D models, K models are civy.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FL makes owning a CUCV very appealing. Registrations for former MVs are permanent. The MV registration stipulation is they are only to be used for parades, shows and "public displays". I do tons of public displays and many different areas!

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FL makes owning a CUCV very appealing. Registrations for former MVs are permanent. The MV registration stipulation is they are only to be used for parades, shows and "public displays". I do tons of public displays and many different areas!
I can't imagine a CUCV in FL. If it goes above 80 degrees here, with 20% humidity, I park it and drive the Grand Cherokee with the AC.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's no problem with that at all. The triangular windows are awesome.
LOL When I was stationed at Charleston AFB I had an un-AC'd Ford Courier. Those little windows are great if you're moving.

I was on Dorchester waiting to turn left into the base after a heavy rain, so humidity was 99% or more. It was about 90-something degrees so all the windows were down and the vents turned around to scoop air. Car in the opposing lane hit a puddle and a wave of hot pavement water came through the driver's side window soaking me from the shoulders up.

All you can do is laugh.... :?

Drock

Born and raised in Daytona, if you live in Florida long enough your blood thins and you get used to it. Ask anyone who moved from the north to FL then visits the north again.....Back on topic, I love my M1028, No washing, waxing, no worries about scratches.. The perfect pickup truck

roveroverme

Banned
Born and raised in Daytona, if you live in Florida long enough your blood thins and you get used to it. Ask anyone who moved from the north to FL then visits the north again.....Back on topic, I love my M1028, No washing, waxing, no worries about scratches.. The perfect pickup truck
agree 100% I was thinking yesterday , how awesome it is to not have to do all the waxing crapola.

glassk

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can afford both but still not sure if its needed. I would like to have something to carry the 30+K rounds of ammo I have in case the shtf but I think my silverado can do it too. Just not sure if I should spend the money on my silverado.
If your SHTF plan includes 30k rounds of ammo, you need a new plan.

BasicSkillz

What's up guys! First comment on this site, liking what I see!

I'm kinda in the same dilemma, looking for something daily-driveable, so some what creature comforty (all new sound system, regardless) and I'm wanting a diesel regardless.

as far as cost/benefit/reliability, which would be easier? More reliable? Either way I'd use a 6.2L out of a CUCV with a turbo off a Cummins, it's gonna be a fun toy/daily driver :-D

I'm looking at either at an M1009 or a 79-84 civi K5 boxed frame

Last edited:

cucvrus

Please keep looking. No GM Blazers had Box frames. They are ladder rail construction frames. If they were box frames they would probably be recycled at this point. I am just being honest.

penokeevet

Can't wait to get the M1008 running. Currently in AZ and heading for northern MI shortly, where the CUCV is stored. I drove various Military vehicles in Korea, Japan, CO and VA, 60 years ago. Why do I like the vehicle? At age 79 it gives me something to putter with and brings back a lot of memories, some good. The only thing I care about as far as condition, engine, etc. is that it's Motor pool Ready. My only comment is to get one if you enjoy the Military connection. Great Hobby.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks