• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Advantage or Disavantage of re-wired 400hz generator to 60hz?

USAMilRet

Hey again. Is there any advantage or disadvantage of using a 400hz generator wired to 60hz in a MEP803A?

I purchased a genset MEP803A through a third party and was supposed to get a 60hz generator. I am still awaiting delivery on this particular generator set. Apparently the generator gets bogged down at 85% load and the person who works on these gensets is at a total loss and does not know what the issue is that is causing the genset to get bogged down at 85% load. Needless to say, 85% load on a genset that is supposed to handle 120% load (8KW vs 12KW) is a far cry from a reliable operating generator.

I was offered to have a 400hz generator rewired to 60hz instead of the original low hour 60hz generator. So before I give the go ahead to have the 400hz generator rewired to 60hz and installed on the 803A, I need to know if there are any advantages or disadvantages to having this done.

My other option is to have the price reduced on the genset as is and try to figure out what is going on with it to get it going where it will not bog down at 85%.

What I do know about the MEP803 is that the engine has been rebuilt - so it is considered a new motor build. As I do not have possession of the genset, I can not give any details as to the generator. The person has been trying to get this issues resolved for over 6 months now. He has been doing this for quite some time so he seems to be proficient at working on these gensets and if he is at a loss to pinpoint the problem as to why it gets bogged down at 85% and chokes and dies, then what are my chances of getting this operating properly?

Any input or suggestions appreciated. As hurricane season started today, I need to get this genset here and wired into my house in Florida so I do not have to suffer like I did last year with Irma and no power for more than 5 days - in mid August no less.

Thanks

USAMilRet

This is the information I received. Is this accurate?

The 400hz sets use the same engine as the 60hz models. I have a 400hz generator that’s essentially new. Since we’ve last spoke, I’ve gone ahead and pulled the 400hz generator head off that unit leaving some controls and an essentially new engine. I then coupled a Raytheon rebuilt 60HZ generator to the new engine. Aside from the generator head, the frequency gauge, transducer and voltage regulator are the only pieces which make the generator 400hz or 60hz. As of now, the generator is a 60hz model with the 400hz components having been scraped.

Will this work in a 803A?

Chrispyny

That sounds like a pure cob job of a put together parts genset. Something you would see in a Mad Max movie. Get your money back. Run from any other suggestions he may make.

This is my opinion STRICTLY from what i have read hear so far. RUN.

USAMilRet

This generator is coming from .......... So lets start here. Does anyone here have information on this source for generators - ie - problems reported and etc...?

Last edited:

justacitizen

are you handy with a wrench? do you have time? then you can probably fix the engine. but on the other hand so can he,but 6 months seems a long time. the price would need to be cheap or i would look elsewhere.

USAMilRet

Yes I have the time and tools. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty or spend the time fixing things. I'm just trying to obtain some information. Heck, I built a load bank just for this genset. And I have been offered a great deal on this due to the issue that he can't seem to resolve. One of the MOSs that I was looking at some time early in my career was Power Generator Equipment Repairman....52D I think? So yeah, I am not afraid to tear this down to the bolt and nut level.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the set makes power, just up to 85%.... troubleshoot this until the cows come home, before getting into some 400hz hack job! I've had issues like this, that were resolved with a simple fuel system cleaning. Others involved just cleaning the **** out of the VSS and AM/VM with contact cleaner.

justacitizen

Yes I have the time and tools. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty or spend the time fixing things. I'm just trying to obtain some information. Heck, I built a load bank just for this genset. And I have been offered a great deal on this due to the issue that he can't seem to resolve. One of the MOSs that I was looking at some time early in my career was Power Generator Equipment Repairman....52D I think? So yeah, I am not afraid to tear this down to the bolt and nut level.
Sounds like you can do it. this site has the expertise and resources to help you get it running so it just needs to be at a price you are happy with. :lol:

csheath

The only options I would consider would be refund or discount. The discount path would have to be very significant. I would lean towards the refund path. I am trying to wrap my head around why he took your money in the first place if he knew he couldn't figure the problem out and correct it in 6 months.

USAMilRet

The only options I would consider would be refund or discount. The discount path would have to be very significant. I would lean towards the refund path. I am trying to wrap my head around why he took your money in the first place if he knew he couldn't figure the problem out and correct it in 6 months.
I paid for it when I bought it. When it was going through its final check before shipping, he heard a knock in the motor (220 hours on the set, no indication of reset) so he agreed to rebuild the engine.

USAMilRet

Can anyone tell me who is the most savvy guy/gal on the forum with experience with the MEP803A's? I would like to reach out to them and provide some pictures and the cross emails to see if he/she can come up with what the issue may be. I would post in the thread but there are many pictures and emails about this set. My gut feeling is that the price is right and that I can, with some help from the fine members of this forum, diagnose the problem, get it fixed, and have an excellent MEP803A to provide me with the power I will need during the many upcoming natural disasters here in Florida. I will also be useful if I mount on a trailer for transport should the need arise.

Thanks again. I am going to post the pictures that I have but I will have to upload them to a server as there are a multitude of them.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The space in the thread is free... use the collective strength of all SS members to solve your problem. Post a thousand pictures if you want... more qualified eyes on a problem gets you to a better answer, quicker.

justacitizen

if you made a deal for a fully functional machine that's what you should get,or a refund,or any other deal that you and the seller can be happy with and in that order. "just my opinion no offense". now as far as repair if you decide to keep it then this is the place to ask and source for parts. also there are some good folks here who rebuild and resell good working machines also. and if it helps all i can offer right now is it sounds like the value of the machine is not much above salvage and that is only because of the risk involved. it very well could be a decent machine but the risk of significant cost is great.

USAMilRet

"My gut feeling is the price is right" =

< $500
Right....where these gensets that are not working, wont crank, have parts missing, and are mostly salvage, sell for over $5K not counting the processing fee and time and trouble for pick up. Yes, I have seen some great deals happen when reading the forum but as a general rule, expecially due to the hurricane season last year and the still demand for gensets in PR, you will be lucky to find a fully functional Harbor Freight scream machine for twice that amount.

A little more realistic price would be more helpful than <$500, from a 98J to a 98G.

(link removed....)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks