• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adventure Driven was broke CA , hole in radiator, need fan clutch

Hello all

I call out to all of you for some help, we have driven our M1079 from Flagstaff to Montana then over to CA, our 1994 M1079 has been great so far. But yesterday we lost the airline from the fan clutch and it went into the radiator. Now we are leaking fluid, overnight we lost about 2 gallons in a drain pan.

So we are stuck on the road and would love to get some local help if possible. Does anyone have a fan clutch and radiator, or does anyone know of a radiator repair shop here in Ventura CA ?

Thanks in advance, would love to get some help from this awesome group of people

Thanks so much
Seth Jacobsen
928-606-3867

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Google lists 3 rad shops in Ventura: Lee's 805-648-6939, Jessie's 805-652-2193, Ventura Rad 805-643-4880. I would try to crimp the damaged tubes to stop the leak. You can then continue on without the hose to a Napa at 4547 Telephone road and obtain hose and fittings to make a new hose assy. If your clutch is ruined, try FMTV Truck in Mt at 406-624-3963.

Google lists 3 rad shops in Ventura: Lee's 805-648-6939, Jessie's 805-652-2193, Ventura Rad 805-643-4880. I would try to crimp the damaged tubes to stop the leak. You can then continue on without the hose to a Napa at 4547 Telephone road and obtain hose and fittings to make a new hose assy. If your clutch is ruined, try FMTV Truck in Mt at 406-624-3963.
thank you so much, I will give them a call, working on removing the radiator now

Seth

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can crimp the tubes, you do not have to remove the radiator. Eastern Surplus lists having the clutch.

Givinup

What would the size be for the flex a lite electric fan kit? If you are working on the fan and air clutch, it'd be a worthwhile time to do the switch.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seth sorry to hear about your troubles. Starting on page 70 of my thread is what happened to mine and our fix. If you're getting a new fan and clutch make sure it's the newer style that the fan bolts onto the clutch not pinched on with the aluminum spacer. I'm not sure which type Eastern has but if it's the old style it's just begging to happen again. Good luck and hope you can still get Brutus to Expo as I'd love to see it.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?152882-Working-on-the-M1078-LMTV/page70

Here's a pic of the 2 styles that I know of. The one on the right is far superior to the one on the left.

The fan that goes on the new style also has a steel hub versus the aluminum hub like the older style.

Last edited:

pontiac62

Adventure Driven broke down in Ventura CA , hole in radiator and need fan clutch

Not sure of the status of your radiator. How big a hole the airline put in your radiator. Found this product online.

Disclaimer have not used this product nor do I gain in anyway from this company just trying to pass on something that can be used to get you out of a tight spot. Product name is Super alloy 1 (rod size 1/8) from Muggyweld. Company is in Washington state. They have how to videos on YT to know how to use their product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man of few words

M1081 LVAD

Last edited:

coachgeo

Not sure of the status of your radiator. How big a hole the airline put in your radiator. Found this product online. ...
no link to any product in this post... but there are alot of radiator repair products that might get him a short trip to radiator repair shop... but then whey would have too flush radiator.... but maybe they would have to do that anyway?

spankybear

I have fixed damaged radiator tubes with JB weld... Only 3 had tubes holes... This was on my CUCV and it worked for years and was that way when I sold it. As far as I know it's still in the vehicle.
A radiator shop can close the tube off on the tank end if it is only a few damage tubes but you'll need to remove the radiator. Needless to say that it goes without saying you'll need to drain the system.

Update, we got the radiator repaired, new style fan clutch and fan overnighted for tomorrow, got to stop and get some coolant and a few other parts for the torn air hose and we hopefully will be ready to go

Seth

pontiac62

Kool. Glad that everything is working out. Will be following your adventure. Your rig is coming along great. Do you have pictures of the damage?

Man of few words

M1081 LVAD

ELovell

New member to SS due to irrational purchase of M1088. I live in Ventura and would like to buy you guys dinner if it's not too late. I know all the good spots

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

SLOrazorsedge

Seth, you drove down the US101 Sunday thru Paso Robles. I was the guy in the black Acura stalking you trying to get some pics. That is one beautiful rig brother. Would love to see pics of the build and set up when you have time.

pontiac62

I follow him on IG. Repairs made. All is good so far. They made it to their destination making the next upgrade to Brutus.

Man of few words

M1081 LVAD

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks