• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adventures in WMO

Jimma

I use a lot of WVO in the summer in my duece but run primarily all diesel in the winter for easier starts. Today I needed to use my deuce today to get to town and it was sitting almost on empty. I had 5 gallons of used motor oil I had just filtered down to 1 micron and mixed it with 5 gallons of diesel making about a 50 - 50 mix. The truck ran better and quieter than it ever has on any mixture including straight diesel. I was really impressed with the power and quiet operation. If a deuce can be quiet mine was today. She seemed to really like the 50-50 mix.

JCKnife

Well, at long last the compressor belt is tightened and the fuel pump replaced...finally got to go for a test drive running somewhere in the range of 65%-70% WMO. Ran like a champ and quiet enough to carry on a conversation (ok, yelling conversation) with my daughter. Love it!!!

UNIMOG-GUY

No the 6.2 is not a multi fuel.

If I were you I would check in the Alternative Fuels section and use the search function.

Yes several people have run WMO in the 6.2

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only use WMO in a multifuel diesel. Not any other Diesel engine. The multifuel has a special injector and piston design.
In a non multifuel diesel it will clog the injectors which spray a very fine mist into the combustion chamber.
The multifuel sprays a larger stream of fuel into a pocket in the top of the piston.
That is a great explanation of what makes it multifuel.

That all said, there are a lot of guys running WMO blends in Fords, Mercedes, Dodges, Kubotas, etc. I think Dieselstop.com is where I saw all that. 50-50 is the most common blend.

The newer automotive diesels with the pollution controls won't work with WMO but most older diesels will.

I am going to try a WMO blend, probably hydraulic oil actually, in my 701a genset. Will report back here with success or disaster stories.

Edit: Deuce stock fuel filters are designed to take out common contaminates: dirt, fir needles, rust flakes, crap like that, and still deliver fuel to the injectors so that the truck will run when it really needs to. The fuel system on these trucks does not appear to be designed to run as a 200,000 mile per motor system. It is designed for battlefield use. So that is why we can get by just fine dumping WMO direct in our fuel tank and the truck still runs. That is how the truck is designed to operate.

Now if you love your deuce as I do, and don't want to be wrenching on it all the time, you will read ~all~ of the Alternative Fuels threads as I have. That is called RTFM. It takes about three full days. Let me summarize for those less patient:

You would learn that even though that used motor oil burns just fine in your mulitfuel, it contains lots and lots of those pesky carbon particles, AKA Soot. They are a byproduct of combustion and have an abrasive effect on your injectors. So if you just dump used motor oil in your fuel tank right after an oil change, most of the metal particles will probably settle to the bottom of the tank. The black stuff, loaded with suspended carbon and metal particles, will burn nicely in your Multifuel engine, and prematurely wear out your injectors. If you only drive your truck once a month, probably no big deal while you own it. If you plan to own it a long time, or drive it a lot, then it might be a big deal. Especially if you were thinking to depend on it to run nicely when you ~really needed it~.

This;;; is why serious WMO burners either clean their WMO with a centrifuge before calling it fuel, or run it through several stages of filtering, probably 1-5 microns in the final pass.

Last edited:

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Slayer, thanks for distilling and presenting what I believe to be the final word on reclaiming alternative fuels.

I am torn between the two choices: filtering (cheap:grin:) and centrifuging (expensive:().

Both choices pay for themselves by reducing your diesel fuel purchases, so any argument about one over the other based on savings doesn't really matter. The fact that centrifuges use electricity which costs money, and filter systems need replacement filters impinges on the amount of total realizied savings, but you are saving either way. So I don't think that is the point of the debate. Or is it?

What does matter in my opinion is avoiding causing self-inflicted problems, like plugged filters or adverse long term wear like injector nozzles.

So the debate over filtering vs a centrifuge gets down to this: If you spend say $1000 on a centrifuge or $200 on a filter system, and one causes adverse wear over time on the IP and injectors and one does not, which is the better method of WMO reclamation?

It would be a simple decision if someone said that properly cleaning your WMO through a centrifuge down to say, 1 micron will guarantee that you are not placing your IP and injector in harms way, that a centrifuge will clean out soot, metal, acids, and any other foreign bodies that attack your precious IP and injectors. I have not read any claims that a centrifuge can do that.

If I knew I could spend my way to security, I would be better informed.

Rick

JCKnife

OK, an update with my latest new thing to try: back when I needed a new fuel pump in the deuce I ended up buying two of them: an in-line 24V pump and also the correct in-tank pump. I installed the in-tank pump, of course, and although it's been on the Classifieds for more'n a month there doesn't seem to be much interest in the in-line pump.

I have a couple batteries sitting in the boat not 20 feet from my WMO filtering setup, and although the hand-crank is not TOO difficult it is messy (it leaks). So I'm going to see if I can plumb up the 24V in-line fuel pump to do the work of pumping WMO through my 5-micron filter. Any bets on how long it will last?

JCKnife

Well, that was pretty easy!

36" threaded 1/2" steel pipe. Cap on the bottom to keep out of the sludge, drill hole about 3" off the bottom. Plumb the fuel pump to the other end and run hose to the filter. Wire up to 2 batteries (trolling motor batts sitting in boat nearby) and away we go!

Now the bad news: it's slow. Seems to be pumping WMO at about the same rate the deuce would burn it (big surprise, eh?) so 5 gallons to fill a jerry can is well over an hour. The thing that scares me is that one time I'll forget to go back and let it run all night. That would be a real pretty mess.

I wonder how many gallons before the batteries run out? I'm on my 2nd jerry can now.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Joe, pump it from one 55gal drum to another. No worrys about spilling. If you need a second drum, I can supply you one. LMK

JCKnife

Nah, I've already got crap sprawled all over the garage. Can't have another drum in there. Besides, keeps it interesting. :-D

panshark

anyway you can rig up a timer to it? I wonder if you would fry one of those 24 hour timers that a bunch of people use for patio lights and christmas lights.

oddshot

Well, that was pretty easy!

36" threaded 1/2" steel pipe. Cap on the bottom to keep out of the sludge, drill hole about 3" off the bottom. Plumb the fuel pump to the other end and run hose to the filter. Wire up to 2 batteries (trolling motor batts sitting in boat nearby) and away we go!

Now the bad news: it's slow. Seems to be pumping WMO at about the same rate the deuce would burn it (big surprise, eh?) so 5 gallons to fill a jerry can is well over an hour. The thing that scares me is that one time I'll forget to go back and let it run all night. That would be a real pretty mess.

I wonder how many gallons before the batteries run out? I'm on my 2nd jerry can now.
Thanks for the post ... you answered a big question for me:

Can the 24 volt external fuel pump be used for WMO filter/transfer ops?

It looks like its a little too slow.

Again ... many thanks.

oddshot

TacticalDoc

I'm new to this but why would you dump filthy oil in your tank? Wouldn't the particles stay at the bottom of the deuce gas tank?

I found a guy willing to give me 100 gal of mixed oil/diesel but he said its dirty. I plan on filtering it from the wmo can with 5 micron filter into my 90 gal transfer tank. Then I'll fill my deuce tank 50% with diesel and 50% wmo. My transfer tank has a filter on it too.

So it will be filtered 3 times before getting to the motor.
Once from the wmo can to my transfer tank
second from my transfer tank to my deuce tank
third from my tank to motor via fuel filters

does that seem right?

TacticalDoc

OK now that I have a pump with 15 micron water filter and a 10 micron fuel filter how does the water filter work?

I have this water filter but in 15 microns
Dutton-Lainson® Goldenrod® 496 Water-Block Absorbing Fuel Filter - 0189529 | Tractor Supply Company

why does it have a drain at the bottom?
Is this where the water collects and is drained?

It seems like oil fills the cup first then goes into the filter then out the other end. The water is trapped in the cup where it can be drained?

I plan on using this filter bag before I put it in the transfer tank to get it down to 5 microns
Lot of Two (2) Size 1 5 Micron Polyester Felt Filter Bags (WVO) FREE SHIPPING | eBay

OK now that I have a pump with 15 micron water filter and a 10 micron fuel filter how does the water filter work?

I have this water filter but in 15 microns
Dutton-Lainson® Goldenrod® 496 Water-Block Absorbing Fuel Filter - 0189529 | Tractor Supply Company

why does it have a drain at the bottom?
Is this where the water collects and is drained?

It seems like oil fills the cup first then goes into the filter then out the other end. The water is trapped in the cup where it can be drained?

I plan on using this filter bag before I put it in the transfer tank to get it down to 5 microns
Lot of Two (2) Size 1 5 Micron Polyester Felt Filter Bags (WVO) FREE SHIPPING | eBay
Any suspended water that collects at the bottom you can drain out. The filter itself absorbs water and only holds just so much. When it is saturated nothing will pass, The filter is pluged and will need to be replaced. Keep a few spares on hand because they don't give much warning.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks