• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adventures Of My New M1101 2010 Silver Eagle

bweiss66

Silver Eagle 012.jpgSilver Eagle 013.jpgSilver Eagle 015.jpgSilver Eagle 017.jpg Well I picked up my new to me M1101 2010 Silver Eagle on Monday.. I'm not sure why they are releasing these trailers but i'm sure glad they did.. The trailer is brand new and the tires still have the titties on them.. Everything on the trailer works perfect.. I had been reading several other threads and gathering information before I went to pick it up.. I found some chevy 1 ton rims and caps on craigs, a set of 4 for $100.. I found some used tires at Lupes tire store for $40 each so I'm set to switch out the tires and rims as soon as the lug nuts arrive.. I built a 7 way wiring harness just like the one mentioned in the chronicles of a M1101 and disconnected the original.. The new one was a snap to hook up all of the wire tags were present at the junction box.. All of the lights on the trailer are LED stock except the brake and blinker bulbs switched those out and they all work great.. I looked up the LEDs on Truck-lites webpage and all of the marker and running lights are the new 10-30 volt LEDs that they make.. Well here are some pics,,, with more to follow..

Last edited:

bweiss66

Silver Eagle 001.jpgSilver Eagle 008.jpg Here are a few pics of how I had the magnetic lights hooked up for the tow home.. I noticed on several other threads people had zip tied or commented how there magnet didn't work.. Since the bed is Alum. they won't stay on top.. I found the rear support leg attachment to be metal and attached them there and they made it 80 miles no problem.. Thanks to Harbor Freight for the killer $9.99 coupon..

Last edited:

bweiss66

Silver Eagle 003.jpgSilver Eagle 012.jpgSilver Eagle 002.jpgSilver Eagle 010.jpgSilver Eagle 004.jpgSilver Eagle 005.jpgSilver Eagle 006.jpgSilver Eagle 008.jpg Well I got lucky and my lug nuts showed up today.. So on with the used tires and rims.. I tried to buy 3 of these after I read a description of a M1101 in a different location that stated it was all allum. but the bidding got crazy and I ended up bidding on I think all 6 of them at one time but ended up just purchasing one.. I have not owned a M1101 but being a 2010 year model I was excited to go pick it up.. Now that I have brought it home and changed out the electrical harness, tires and rims and purchased the adjustable hitch setup I have to admit this trailer is staying right here for life.. I couldn't ask for a better trailer to keep for personal use.. And Harley I'm thinking this rig needs a matching paint job for my 1/2 ton Chevy.. I'm gonna check with a buddy that owns a body shop on Monday and see what he wants to paint it.. That's why I ended up not painting the hub caps,, I started to think since I was gonna keep for life it would be nice to match my truck.. The pictures posted show the trailer with the new rims and tires,, and all of the stock LEDs working how cool stock.. I did use a few things not mentioned in the other M1101 thread.. I bought one clip chain 4ft. from harbor freight to cut in half and attach to the existing chains to extend and clip onto my hitch http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarter-inch-x-4-ft-trailer-safety-chain-95021.html Also I bought one of these heat shrink packs to put over the 4 way connection it fit perfect http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piec...ined-polyolefin-heat-shrink-tubing-66769.html I also bought a roll of this heat shrink to run over my 10ft extension that I had and ended up using about 7 ft of it,, I think with the height and junction box location on the M1101 you need more than 5ft as listed In the other thread.. I ended up cutting the pieces into 1ft because I could not get the wires to go through in long pieces.. http://www.harborfreight.com/5-16-inch-x-8-ft-black-heat-shrink-tubing-66767.html I ran all the wire through heat shrink and then put wire loom over it just in case.. I used the Northern Tool adjustable receiver and pintle,, http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200442409_200442409?isSearch=605686 and pintle bolt on http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_22051_22051?isSearch=12831 In the yard it looks like it is pointing down but on level ground it is level with this setup for a half ton crew cab..

Last edited:

bweiss66

Silver Eagle 024.jpgSilver Eagle 036.jpgSilver Eagle 031.jpgSilver Eagle 032.jpgSilver Eagle 020.jpgSilver Eagle 028.jpg Here are a few pics. of the different tire heights and hitch heights.. First pic. before tire change with regular pintle.. second pic. with tire change.. 1st and 2nd pic of trailer height.. then Rims and tire swap...

Last edited:

harleyhouse

Looks great!

I am contemplating a 1102 purchase too......painted RED of course.
I am thinking new radiused wheel wells with replacement wheels.
Matching paint would look great!

Last edited:

JoshN

Hah, same "problem" I have with my M101a1 now. I swapped the axle for one with matching hubs for my Landcruiser and the tires look like they are for a toy. Nothing that will stop it from going where I want though.

Can someone please tell me the basic process for getting these trailers titled once its in your possession? I need some idea of the process so I can use the search features here to look for possible specifics for Missouri. Thanks!

AZBarracuda

In Arizona, one takes the auction receipt to MVD and they handle it from there. I took my M101A3 trailer to the inspection office at MVD within 14 days of picking it up at Barstow CA. The inspector came out, found the trailer's ID number on a barcode sticker (sometimes stamped into the tongue, or engraved on the body somewhere) (not the military-assigned serial number), used that as the VIN and created the title for me. No hassle at all! No title from GovLiquidation required. It was SO simple. (The only hurtful part was the fees!) It is HIGHLY unlikely that you are the first one to title retired military equipment. Take your trailer and your paid-in-full receipt down to MVD and see what happens.

Lucafu1

i got a m1102 form GL and had it home in two weeks. paid GL and they sent me a title 2 weeks later. now i just have to take it to get registered. im waiting first to swap the wheels with something smaller first.