• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Advice before buying

riderdan

Hi all,

I recently sold my M998 HMMWV and am looking for another interesting vehicle to work on/drive/enjoy. I've seen some M37s for sale that aren't too far away and have been doing research on ownership. The truck would be used for occasional trips around town, maybe out to a friend's property to shoot (about 80 miles round trip) possibly to a car show that has an MV "class" once or twice a year.

As a classic car fan, I know what I'd check buying any 50's era vintage car. But I also know that there are going to be some things that are specific to the M37 that knowledgeable owners can clue me in to check before I actually buy a truck.

Advice?

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Riderdan , M37 and the MB/GPW are good MV's to take on as a project . Parts repop and NOS are available . There is a ton of info on line about them . The M37 was my first MV . What Ken said , try to find a MV with a decent body or tub that is my advise also. As far as mechanicals , no surprises there and if you can fix your HMMWV, the others will be a dream LOL . I think you are the person who contacted me about my M37 , it went fast . If I come across anything worthwhile I will keep you in mind .all the best Bob kIMG_20200527_153720760_HDR.jpgIMG_20200527_153720760_HDR.jpg

riderdan

Hi Bob... yeah, that was me. At the price you were asking, I'm not surprised it sold quick :)

I've got lines on a couple more. One in PA that looks pretty good. The seller is asking just under $14k but that's a pretty long drive from here in north-central KS. I saw another in NY (even further) but it had it's engine swapped for an IH V8.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Bob... yeah, that was me. At the price you were asking, I'm not surprised it sold quick :)

I've got lines on a couple more. One in PA that looks pretty good. The seller is asking just under $14k but that's a pretty long drive from here in north-central KS. I saw another in NY (even further) but it had it's engine swapped for an IH V8.
If you find something this way and need a place to store it until you can arrange pickup , I have the room

John Mc

If you are not already on them, you might want to check out the G741 Forum and the Dodge M37/M43 FaceBook Group. I see trucks listed for sale there form time to time, as well as a lot of helpful advice being offered.

You will probably want some printed technical manuals if you do end up buying. You can get them from Vintage Power Wagons (they refer to the M37 as a vehicle type E in their catalog). In the mean time, you can download digital versions of some of the manuals here on Steel Soldiers in the Technical manuals Korean War to Vietnam War Vehicles TMs section

Redleg130

I ended up with an M37 that I am using as a camping vehicle. Quite by accident I ended up with a Korean war era setup with tent (purchased prior to truck), truck, and other items. I was interested in the M37 since it was larger than a jeep and I thought having a mil vehicle would be more fun than a SxS. I have some experience from active duty on reading a TM, but digging in past checking fluids is all new to me. The gentleman I got the truck from kept it in good shape and restored it beautifully so I don't have to do a whole lot. As I accumulate tools, and a hefty amount of reading and taking it slow, I am finding I understand what is going on with the various systems fairly well which wouldn't be possible (for me) on a modern car. So far, beyond basic maintenance, I have tackled the brakes, wheel hubs, and cooling system. I need to refresh wiring, work on steering, and rebuild the engine at some point.

IMG_0011-1024x768.jpg

The M37 is a blast to drive, I very much enjoy mine, but it does not move fast. 50 is about where I feel comfortable topping mine out but 45 is my preferred cruise speed. I plan trips to take backroads or 4 lane highways so I don't get a stack of cars stuck behind me.

Vintage power wagons is my favored parts source, they patiently answer my silly questions and have steered me right so far. Parts are wildly variable in price, things I think will be cheap are expensive and vice versa. Tires are quite expensive and not common apparently. It amuses me greatly to get parts made in the 40s-60s that are 'new', in the original packaging. I have not run into a part being impossible to get so far.

One thing I didn't anticipate is the attention it brings, people enjoy seeing this truck and I always get visitors when I am camping. Ill have to participate in some car shows I think, even if that was not really the original intent.

Gas mileage is atrocious at 6 MPG. Diesel conversions improve this, but I don't believe I will convert mine, I like it being the uncomplicated thing it is as originally made.

There is a youtube channel, Watson's Wagons, that details what he is doing to rebuild his M37. I have gathered a lot of information watching his videos.

The M37 is a good, medium sized vehicle that has enough room to haul stuff while being practical to maneuver on smaller roads, appears to be reliable/durable with maintenance, is easy to comprehend the various systems and maintain them, and fun. Downsides are its like a horse, may be inexpensive to buy, but expensive to feed. I really enjoy mine, its a project, but I couldn't be happier with it.

IMG_20220307_105240.jpg

You mention you are in NC KS, I am east of you in Topeka region. If you find one and need to move it, it will be around $2k +/- if you use a transport company. Mr. Ronald Tomasso with Nationwide Transport Services LLC. moved mine and the driver he assigned got it to me safely.

John Mc

They are some great trucks. I'm curious about your 6 MPG gas mileage.

When I had the 230 engine in my M37, was routinely getting 9+ MPG, sometimes even a hair over 10, doing mostly 35-40 MPH driving on rural roads and in local villages.

With the freshly rebuild 251 that is in there now, I get about 8.5 MPG.

THese are almost all driving in 2WD with front hubs unlocked. If I forget and leave my front hubs locked, I get roughy 1 MPG less.

Redleg130

I think the engine needs rebuilt, I really need to do compression test, but I am sure the answer is that its tired. I don't have a frame of reference having not operated any other M37, but I think mine is really sluggish/worn. Not surprising, its 70 something years old. I assume a rebuild will improve the MPG. Also, I'm not calculating with precision, just miles divided by gallons from time to time to give me rough idea when I remember to calc it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks