• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Advice for re-seal of differential output shafts

Title is pretty self explanatory, I'm about to do a re-seal of the output shafts for my M998 rear diff, do you have any advice that could make the job ever so slightly easier?

Thanks in advance, y'all are amazing and all the knowledge here is priceless

rcamacho

TM covers procedure.
Diff has to be removed for full access to seals.

If you are pulling the assembly it’s the best time to inspect gearset and bearings for wear.

Diff mounting brackets tend to come loose. Inspect/clean threads and use locktite per TM on reinstallation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The early trucks mounting brackets for the differential interferes with the seal, which is why the differential has to be removed for the seals.

There is a chance that it has been done before though, so check closely before removing to see if the bracket has been modified to clear the seal.

If the bracket hasn't been modified, then you should do that while the differential is out. It's basically just removing some material around the seal area in order to have enough room for the seal to be installed.

Dieselmeister

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be careful when driving in the new seal. I wound up knocking the seal backing spring off the seal. I must have tapped it too hard. I just saw the spring hanging on the output shaft. Talk about a pain, trying to get that spring back around the back of the seal, while the seal is installed. I finally trashed the seal, and installed another one.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
The early trucks mounting brackets for the differential interferes with the seal, which is why the differential has to be removed for the seals.

There is a chance that it has been done before though, so check closely before removing to see if the bracket has been modified to clear the seal.

If the bracket hasn't been modified, then you should do that while the differential is out. It's basically just removing some material around the seal area in order to have enough room for the seal to be installed.
Ran into that also. Another HumV "What were they thinking moment" Couple of pictures to tell the story. Plasma torch and wire guide. Cut and clean up.

IMG_7410.jpg the problem IMG_7413.jpg the guideIMG_7417.jpg the cut IMG_7425.jpg the clean up
IMG_7426.jpg paint to hide IMG_7439.jpg The pesky hang nail. cutter.jpg 50,000 degrees and done

Goggles on and press the button, CAMO

Last edited: