• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Advice needed - new guy with MEP004A

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
In a bit of a conundrum about the engine valve cover. 90% of the paint has flaked off of it and the bare metal is rusting, I'm afraid to pull the valve cover because sure as sunshine, the gasket is going to fall apart into 20+ pieces the minute I pull it apart. I can buy an entire engine gasket set for ~ $450 but that would be a bit retarded for a valve cover gasket. I also think that's a bit too much and too big a gasket to attempt by hand. There is a company in town that can cut gaskets on a CNC machine if you bring them a pattern... Sounds expensive. Guess I'll have to call them and ask.
That is a heck of an idea! CNC cut gasket material should be an easy job to do. We have a 5x10ft cutter that we cut signs with. Plastic, rubber, aluminum, paper, pressure sensitive vinyl... All kinds of "non steel" materials. Just a simple DXF file to feed it to the cutter.

The tough part would be drawing the shape. OR tracing it (or the valve cover) and then scanning it with a blueprint scanner, then auto tracing it into AutoCAD. Just to be nosy, I would love to hear what the "company in town" can do for you and maybe what that might cost. Scanning and Converting is something we do regularly too.

Back-in-Black

That is a heck of an idea! CNC cut gasket material should be an easy job to do. We have a 5x10ft cutter that we cut signs with. Plastic, rubber, aluminum, paper, pressure sensitive vinyl... All kinds of "non steel" materials. Just a simple DXF file to feed it to the cutter.

The tough part would be drawing the shape. OR tracing it (or the valve cover) and then scanning it with a blueprint scanner, then auto tracing it into AutoCAD. Just to be nosy, I would love to hear what the "company in town" can do for you and maybe what that might cost. Scanning and Converting is something we do regularly too.

I can probably supply the dxf file on the valve cover. Just sent one to a guy to make some wheel braces for my little tractor. Front, right wheel cracked completely apart the other day.

Anyway, this guy has a CNC plasma cutter and he's going to cut out 2, 3/8" thick plates based on my dxf.

wheel brace.PNG

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I can probably supply the dxf file on the valve cover. Just sent one to a guy to make some wheel braces for my little tractor. Front, right wheel cracked completely apart the other day.

Anyway, this guy has a CNC plasma cutter and he's going to cut out 2, 3/8" thick plates based on my dxf.

View attachment 855812
Neat!

I would be happy to cut the valve cover gasket. Guess I need to figure out what kind of material is needs to be. Guessing a local NAPA or some place like that will sell what we need in a roll. I will beam you a PM with my email so I can look at the file to start looking for material.

Back-in-Black

You can also buy gasket material from amazon.

It will take some time to get you a dxf. First, gotta get it off the motor, cleaned up and then spend some time drawing it up.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You can also buy gasket material from amazon.

It will take some time to get you a dxf. First, gotta get it off the motor, cleaned up and then spend some time drawing it up.
No stress, no pressure. I will see about finding some material and get it on the way. That way I can make a few test cuts and be ready when you are.

Would be neat if we could find some sort of neoprene so it is easy to remove the cover later if you ever need to down the road...

Back-in-Black

No stress, no pressure. I will see about finding some material and get it on the way. That way I can make a few test cuts and be ready when you are.

Would be neat if we could find some sort of neoprene so it is easy to remove the cover later if you ever need to down the road...

Just sent you an email with scans of some gaskets. Also, I used this to cut new thermostat and lower radiator gaskets and it worked great. I reassembled it all with dry gaskets only (no sealant or other gunk) and no leaks.

link:

Back-in-Black

Toda was beautiful, 70F -ish and very little wind with low humidity so I decided since I really should paint the relay table before bolting a bunch of stuff to it I'd try out my Rustoleum thinned with acetone sprayed thru a gun. Never tried to do this before but it seems to wok just fine. Painted a few other parts while I was at it.

20220113_132302.jpg

20220113_143259.jpg

And now you know what color the noise abatement case will be! Matches the eves on my house.

20220113_143315.jpg

20220113_143547.jpg

20220113_143310.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Toda was beautiful, 70F -ish and very little wind with low humidity so I decided since I really should paint the relay table before bolting a bunch of stuff to it I'd try out my Rustoleum thinned with acetone sprayed thru a gun. Never tried to do this before but it seems to wok just fine. Painted a few other parts while I was at it.

View attachment 855850

View attachment 855851

And now you know what color the noise abatement case will be! Matches the eves on my house.

View attachment 855852

View attachment 855853

View attachment 855854
Looks Nice!!

Back-in-Black

Well, I got the valve cover off. Glad I decided (Mullaney was really the deciding factor) to remove it. Damn thing has more rust on the inside than the outside.

Amazing things can happen at any time. The gasket (rubberized cork) was actually in great shape and I was able to get it off in one piece and do a CAD drawing for Mullaney - which I just emailed off to him.

Mullaney, let me know when you are ready and I will get you some money for the gasket!

valve cover gasket.PNG

20220113_171015.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well, I got the valve cover off. Glad I decided (Mullaney was really the deciding factor) to remove it. Damn thing has more rust on the inside than the outside.

Amazing things can happen at any time. The gasket (rubberized cork) was actually in great shape and I was able to get it off in one piece and do a CAD drawing for Mullaney - which I just emailed off to him.

Mullaney, let me know when you are ready and I will get you some money for the gasket!

View attachment 855879

View attachment 855880
I am on it. Ordered some material and it should arrive on Monday or Tuesday - assuming everything goes according to Amazon.

Back-in-Black

Almost forgot to post this but after days scouring the web for a lower radiator hose for this beast I finally gave up and went with the one the guy at the NAPA store came up with. It's not an exact match and it's a bit expensive because it has one of those internal spiral wires that keep it from collapsing, but it's damn close and I see no reason it won't work. Of course the final verdict will have to wait till I get the motor and such back on the skid.

Anyway, it's a NAPA part # 9301

20220113_115923.jpg

Back-in-Black

After letting the water pump soak is my friend's electrolysis tank for several day to remove rust, we reassembled the pump today. Also let the valve cover sit in the tank for a day or so. It looks much better now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks