• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Advice needed - new guy with MEP004A

Back-in-Black

Got the radiator, shutter, radiator support, grille and fan installed. I'd like to meet the guy who designed the way all that goes together! 3 very heavy pieces and 1 light piece that all have to been put on at the same time and they all bolt thru / to each other. Idiotic!

I could have told you that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:ROFLMAO:

I was thinking about you when I typed that in. Was thinking: boy, I bet Guyfang knows exactly what I'm talking about!

Guyfang

Staff member
If you just want to take the radiator out, it helps when you do not remove anything but the top and the bolts front and back, then use an over head lift to simply pull the radiator out. And this is NOT a job to do alone.

Back-in-Black

Yeah, I sandwiched it all together (less the grille) on the "bench" and used the 4 bolts with the pass-thru holes on the front grille to hold it all together while we lifted the whole assembly (less the grille) into place on the skids. Then I hung the grille on and started trying to get the rest of the bolts stabbed and started - NOT! Had to use a couple of scissor jacks to finagle it all into alignment. Took hours to finish that up. Actually most of the day for the whole job.

Had my son come over and help lift it into place.

Last edited:

Back-in-Black

Took it easy today. Needed a holiday from this project and splitting wood. Test fit the intake grille and made a plate to cover some holes - in the interests of bug abatement.

20220410_120102.jpg

20220410_155829.jpg

20220410_155815.jpg

Back-in-Black

Ok, I got a part I really can't figure out. No clue where this came from but I'm pretty sure it's a part of this set. Anyone have a clue? The piece of channel with 3 holes in it...

I've looked at the drawings in the TMs and don't see it there. It looks like the braces they used for the radiator mount but it's a lot shorter than those are.

20220410_160640.jpg

Back-in-Black

Darn it! I figured it was something for the batteries or the fuel tank but couldn't remember taking it off. Thanks, guess I don't need that anymore. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Chainbreaker

Damn! I figured it was something for the batteries or the fuel tank but couldn't remember taking it off. Thanks, guess I don't need that anymore. :)
Looking at the picture in post #69 I don't think that there was much left for it to hold down. Perhaps you found it lying loose in the bottom of unit as you dismantled the lower skid frame area.

Coincidentally, today after reviewing the spec's on Amazon I ordered one of the same "NOCO battery boxes" for another non-generator project. Looks like they are made pretty well & I needed the UV resistance they offer as it will be outside exposed to elements housing a battery fed by a solar charger.

Back-in-Black

Looking at the picture in post #69 I don't think that there was much left for it to hold down. Perhaps you found it lying loose in the bottom of unit as you dismantled the lower skid frame area.

Coincidentally, today after reviewing the spec's on Amazon I ordered one of the same "NOCO battery boxes" for another non-generator project. Looks like they are made pretty well & I needed the UV resistance they offer as it will be outside exposed to elements housing a battery fed by a solar charger.

Yes, having been around boats most of my life, these are pretty nice battery boxes. Pretty happy with them.

I modified mine a bit. Was having problems getting the lids off even before I re-installed the radiator due to the clips on the top of the boxes - the ones in the back being unreachable to unlatch. Since I have them strapped down and the lids ain't going anywhere anyway, I ground off the locking tabs from the lids so that they no longer latch onto the bottoms. Now it is MUCH easier to remove the lids in tight quarters and the straps will never let them come off anyway.

Last edited:

Back-in-Black

Look at these pics:

I don't remember but that battery hold down must have been just laying up inside there. It certainly wasn't "installed". I guess that's why I don't remember taking it off or where it was installed.

20210926_100053.jpg

20210926_182440.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Back-in-Black

Well, I spent about 3 hours soaking and cleaning the paint gun tonight. I'm sure I'll need to pull it back out for some touch up at some point but for now, I'm done!!

20220417_213139.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks