• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Advice needed - new guy with MEP004A

Ray70

Yea that screw is very tight. I've used both torx on a ratchet and a small impact wrench.
Just be sure to hold it straight so the doesn't try to move sideways on you.
I don't recall what the proper name is for that head, but as a last resort you could get the actual bit for it, if you're worried about it skipping...

Back-in-Black

Well I got that screw out and the governor linkage and such out of the housing. the housing is soaking now. Had to use a 1/2" drive ratchet handle to get it loose. And yes, it is a 45 Torx.

I got 130-132 out but the delivery valve is stuck (imagine that). I think I see the other end of it from the other end. Can I lightly tap that out with a drift?

Also, I got the rotor retainer ring (116) out and the rotor retainers loose (117) but I can't seem to budge the rotor (135) loose from the hydraulic head (134). Any hints there? I'm being really cautious applying force but those 2 pieces seem really happy with each other right now.

And yes, the rotor plungers (little pistons - 127) are quite stuck too. Fully retracted into their holes. Likewise, can I gently tap them out with a drift?

And yes, all that crap floating around in there is most of what's left of that plastic drive ring.

Also, I put a good bit of force on the allen head screw holding in the leaf spring and am afraid of stripping the head. Do I need to actually pull that apart?

figure 3-21.PNG

20211028_145436.jpg

Ray70

On the delivery valve I don't think you can access it from the other end, but maybe I'm wrong. If you can access it go easy with it, don't want to damage the point on the end. But if the other end was open I would imagine that would defeat the whole function of the rotor and pistons, but maybe I'm thinking about it wrong.
You do not really need to remove the screws and the leaf springs, you can slip the rollers out with the springs still on place.
I have always used air pressure down the center of rotor to force the 2 plungers out, but I suppose you could probably push 1 of them inward thus driving the opposing plunger out, but I have never done it that way before, so not positive that it will work as planned.
Looks like all in all your pump had about ZERO thing going god for it! It needed a total rebuild.
Never saw a pump with so many things stuck in place.
Hopefully the rotor comes out and isn't damaged or pitted.
Are the rollers #125 in good shape or are they pitted?

Back-in-Black

The rollers look good as far as I've looked at them. Haven't really looked closely yet but will and let you know.

Any suggestions on how to get the rotor out? Can I twist it out?

Back-in-Black

Pulled the power piston out of the freezer, clamped the nut part in the vise and heated the bottom (nut part) with a propane torch, grabbed the top of the piston with a pair of round grip Channellocks and the piston twisted rights out.

Pulled the housing out of the chem dip and washed / blew it out with air. Looks more better!

Got the rotor out of the head. Had to tap it out with small hammer. Lots of varnish.

Got the 2 plungers out. Had to tap them out with a drift - more varnish.

The rollers look great - again, lots of varnish.

Still haven't got the delivery valve out of the rotor but it's soaking in chem dip right now. Hopefully that will loosen it up.

OK to soak the head in the chem dip? Lots of little holes that I'm sure are full of varnish and gradeaux.

20211028_170245.jpg

20211028_171303.jpg

20211028_171947.jpg

Chainbreaker

Looking good and your making great progress!

I find myself ending up "eventually" enjoying fighting with something that doesn't want to cooperate and winning the battle in the end. Gratifying to say the least when you get difficult/stubborn components apart and don't break/mangle anything in the process.

I have a good feeling, given your determination and approach so far, that you will bring this beast back to life! 🤞

Back-in-Black

Looking good and your making great progress!

I find myself ending up "eventually" enjoying fighting with something that doesn't want to cooperate and winning the battle in the end. Gratifying to say the least when you get difficult/stubborn components apart and don't break/mangle anything in the process.

I have a good feeling, given your determination and approach so far, that you will bring this beast back to life! 🤞

Well, right now I could use a little less "fight" and a lot more cooperation LOL.

Thank you for the suggestion on the hot / cold thing. That seems to have done the trick!

For sure, I am a hard-headed SOB! I don't give up easily.

Bringing "basket cases" back to life seems to be turning into a bit of a habit lately. This is my third basket case this year. We had a really bad flood in this area back in 2016. Flooded an incredible number homes and businesses - rained 42" in 48 hours if I remember right. Anyway, my father-in-law had a wood working shop set up out in his barn. He got 14' of water in his barn. All his tools got flooded and I think he just got depressed about it and left it all out there to rust. Almost 5 years later, in Feb this year, he passed away. All the stuff in the barn was still there rusting away. In an effort to help the MIL, I volunteered to try to restore some of the pricier equipment out there and sell it for her. So far I've done a drill press and a planer / jointer. Got a wood lathe and a large band saw to go. I kept the drill press for my shop.

A couple of befores and afters:

Mud all the way up top. There was still water in the head between the bearings.
20210403_193413.jpg

20210421_104047.jpg

Planer / jointer

20210515_132418.jpg

20210515_132446.jpg

20210710_130848.jpg

20210710_130905.jpg

Last edited:

Back-in-Black

Pretty much everything is cleaned and ready to go back together except I still haven't got the delivery valve out of the rotor yet. Letting it soak overnight in the chem dip and we'll see what happens tomorrow. I need to get it out so I know it will allow fuel flow. If I can't get it out tomorrow, the TM references an extractor tool. I looked it up, it is Stanadyne part # 26081 and I think it's about $60. I sent an email to the folks I got the weight cage from asking for price and availability. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone on this site for all the help so far. Couldn't have got this far without all the knowledge and generous sharing!!!

Oh, forgot to mention, the rollers look great. Amazingly good.

Last edited:

Back-in-Black

Just took the rotor out of the dip. The delivery valve still won't come out. Got all the heavily machined parts like the rotor, rollers, pistons and such soaking in oil to keep surface rust from forming and I guess I'll be ordering an extractor tool today.

Back-in-Black

Tired one more time to get that valve out. Put on of the delivery pump pistons in to block one side of the pump and the roller / carrier on top so I could hold it all in with my hand. Wrapped the lower pressure pump end of the rotor in a rag to catch the valve if it came out and then blew 175 psi air into the open side of the delivery pump. Far as I can tell, the valve never budged - which means that it probably wouldn't open for a shot of fuel either...

Oh well, it was worth a try.

Ray70

2 other things you can try on the delivery valve... although the tool is already on order....
Take a rubber glove and wrap it around the entire rotor, then use electrical tape or duct tape, wrap it up good and tight.
This is to seal off all the holes machined into the rotor.
Then if you have a blow gun with a rubber tip, poke a hole through the wrapping to access one of the piston bores or other access hole and blow air into the rotor's internals and see if it will force the deliver valve out.
If you still have the leaf springs attached you may have a hard time sealing off all the holes, but something to try if you are too anxious to wait for the tool!
Good work on everything so far, it's looking great!

Back-in-Black

Funny!

Yeah, I would have loved to get this thing put back together tonight but I just need to be patient with it (not one of my strong points) .

My kit is due in today but it ain't gonna do me any good while this thing is still stuck. Sure hope that tool works!

Back-in-Black

extractor tool is ordered - with shipping, tax and all the BS right at about $80. The guy I ordered it from has a diesel shop and says he rebuilds these DB pumps often so he knew exactly what my problem was. Said no guarantee that the tool will get it out but if it won't, I can send the rotor to him and he knows a way to get it out. $50 labor plus shipping each way. Right now I'm wondering why I didn't just ship the dang thing to him and be done with it.... might call him back.

Just called him back - gonna send him the rotor and the head. I guessing that he's thinking he might need to swap those pieces out if it doesn't come out easily enough. Can't think of any other reason he'd want me to ship the head also...

Badger diesel in Salem, WI

Abrant23

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, right now I could use a little less "fight" and a lot more cooperation LOL.

Thank you for the suggestion on the hot / cold thing. That seems to have done the trick!

For sure, I am a hard-headed SOB! I don't give up easily.

Bringing "basket cases" back to life seems to be turning into a bit of a habit lately. This is my third basket case this year. We had a really bad flood in this area back in 2016. Flooded an incredible number homes and businesses - rained 42" in 48 hours if I remember right. Anyway, my father-in-law had a wood working shop set up out in his barn. He got 14' of water in his barn. All his tools got flooded and I think he just got depressed about it and left it all out there to rust. Almost 5 years later, in Feb this year, he passed away. All the stuff in the barn was still there rusting away. In an effort to help the MIL, I volunteered to try to restore some of the pricier equipment out there and sell it for her. So far I've done a drill press and a planer / jointer. Got a wood lathe and a large band saw to go. I kept the drill press for my shop.

A couple of befores and afters:

Mud all the way up top. There was still water in the head between the bearings.
View attachment 849199

View attachment 849200

Planer / jointer

View attachment 849201

View attachment 849202

View attachment 849203

View attachment 849204
Man, I'd love to have that 8" helical jointer!

Back-in-Black

Man, I'd love to have that 8" helical jointer!

It's for sale actually - although I still haven't put it up for sale yet. I disassembled the entire thing, cleaned all the rust up, repainted everything (blasted some pieces), new Timken bearings throughout, motor too. Replaced the start capacitor in the motor along with the bearings and general clean up. New start and stop operators, new magnetic contactor, etc. It's basically a new machine and since I had to order 2 of most bearings (just the way they're sold) it comes with a spare bearing for most on the ones in the machine. I also have most of the parts for the safety cover (brand new) but they had backordered one piece back in June I think. Anyway, they called earlier this week and said can't get that part. - It's the shaft that the cover pivots on. If I had a metal lathe, I'd just make one. Pretty simple piece from what I can see in the drawings.

There is one problem and I just have not felt like fooling with it but the motor starts sometimes, sometimes not. If you spin the cutter drum a little when it doesn't start, it will start and run. I plan to pull the motor back out and bring to a motor shop and let them take a look. It may just be the start capacitor but as I said, I just put a new one in. I tried it out on a 2 x 6 and it works great.

If you're really interested, I'll pull the motor this weekend and drop it at a motor shop next week. PM me and we can discuss.

Back-in-Black

That shop is my pride and joy. Been on my wish list for decades. It'll be 5 years old in March and I've enjoyed the heck out of it for all that time and hopefully a long time to come. I went without a shop or even a workbench or vise for soooooooooooo long. I didn't really have anywhere to work on stuff and I lost lots of tools packing them in cardboard boxes and carrying them to wherever I was working on something.

I'm still working on adding / improving things in there. Slow going. I want to add A/C and heat so I can use it even more. I'm too old and fat to stay out there in the heat and being the southern boy I am, I've never been good with cold. Heck, if I stay out there enough, I'll probably have to knock on the door to get back in the house!

Anyway, as I think I mentioned earlier in this thread, I just can't seem to turn a project down...

Another recent project (actually did a pair of these chairs)

20210515_111004.jpg

20210516_191554.jpg

20210518_201433.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks