• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Advice needed on GP medium

ODdave

Ok, Tomarrow i am going to look at a GP medium tent and need some advice. (needed a better tent at our first show this spring and if things go well we will have another this fall) .

The tent is dissasembled and I do not have intentions of setting it up before i buy.

My main question is how many poles should there be? Lengths?

Ropes? what do i need to know about them?

He has told me the stakes are missing, I didnt think that was a big deal, Is it?

It is an early/ canvas type. Is there anything that i should be on the look out for or be aware of? Other than the weight.

Sorry guys, i probably could search to find this but I am so tired from driving/ lack of sleep that i need to get some sleep before work. I am leaving from work tomarrow to get it so no time to search.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah, canvas GM Medium. Love the smell for sure. Should be 4 door poles 6'4" tall. 10 end poles @ 5'6" tall. 2 center poles, big dia and 13'6" tall and usually a ridge beam that is 3 sections totalling 17'. Some folks set them up without the ridge beam, I do not. Should be 24 ropes with dogbones on each one for adjusting. Check as best as you can for rot. They don't like too much sun.

ODdave

Thankyou, that is exactly what i was looking for, He said there are a couple of small tears, I will check for rot. Thanks !

P.S. I dont think the price could get much better so i dont think i could get hurt on it. Wish me luck

mckeeranger

If you get it, or another one, you need a copy of Army TM 10-8340-211-13, which is also Air Force TO 35E5-1-101. "Operator, unit and direct support manual for Tent, General purpose" It has all three GP tents in it.

I like the rebar w/washer welded to it for stakes. They are a lot tougher than the wood, and a lot cheaper than the aluminum. Actually, they are tougher than the aluminum too. Paint them blaze orange, they will stay with you longer.

Oh, and Good Luck. (as requested)

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I can only give you the benefit of my experience erecting military tents.

They can be difficult to erect until you have done it a few times.

Four people can do a GP medium but six or more is better......by the time you get it done you are all going to hate each others guts anyway.

The only thing worse than ercting a canvas one when it is dry and daylight is doing it in the rain with it soaking wet and a few hundred pounds heavier than usual. Ask me how I know.

As for the stakes, the original ones were wooden and were driven in with a big wooden mallet.....usually they were replaced with metal ones that could be driven in with a sledge hammer.

You should at least roll it out and look for crittter infestations and rips......they are hard to repair unless you have the kit that came with the tent.

Canvas is very bad about molding and it stinks to high heaven when it does. It will aslo rot easily if not stored properly.

Concerning the wooden parts there should be a ridge pole in two pieces and supports for them.

Not sure how many side poles there are.

Unless the price is dirt cheap I would look for one of the newer vinyl ones with the metal frame.

ODdave

WM, His asking price is $300, told me on the phone he needs it gone and will deal. Im thinking $200. He alredy has it layed out for me to inspect.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
200 would be a deal if all the poles are there and the ropes are in good repair.

Just remember they are heavy and a PITA to load and unload.

If the tent cover is with it that is a plus.....that keeps it wrapped up good and tight.

The way we did it was to put two of the side poles under it and use four guys to move it.

There is a coating you can buy that can be applied to re-waterproof it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
What will you be using it for? I bought a command center tent because I could put it up by myself. GP med are not fun.

ODdave

Probably only for shows. We plan on having more at my budies place. Last one got a lil wet, trying to be more prepared for the next one.

From what WM said, looks like i need to come up with a way to make 4 more friends...........

thtrev2001

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our troop has a GP small, PITA is right, its heavy, it stinks and hard to set up. We just picked up a "drash" tent. Google it. Its light, and sets up in about a minute with 4 people, our scouts love it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably only for shows. We plan on having more at my budies place. Last one got a lil wet, trying to be more prepared for the next one.

From what WM said, looks like i need to come up with a way to make 4 more friends...........
I can't remember how many times my 9 yr old and I have set up the canvas medium. I can do the entire tent myself in a couple of hours but need help lifting the ridge beam. Given a choice I would take a canvas over vinyl every time. Just like that smell.

mckeeranger

I can't remember how many times my 9 yr old and I have set up the canvas medium. I can do the entire tent myself in a couple of hours but need help lifting the ridge beam. Given a choice I would take a canvas over vinyl every time. Just like that smell.
I've set up a GP Medium by myself before. (canvas) I left out the ridge beam, so it looked a little sloppy, but held up to rain well. The biggest problem I had was unloading and unrolling it. The darn thing weighs well over 300 pounds dry.

Our BS camp has 6 of the GP Small arctic tents. Some canvas, some vinyl. They're not to bad for one to set up, but a lot easier with 2 or 3.

ODdave

well, picked it up today. Had some small holes/ tears and 1 broken poll (small one). Overall it looks good and i am happy with it for the $200 it cost. It DOSE have the main beam too. Oh and of corse it rained today, It is definatly heavy when wet !!!!

ODdave

Ok, finally got some time to get it set up. My dad and i had it up within 1.5 hours, need help from 1 more person for the main poles and beam. Looks like i have quite a few lil holes to take care of, and 1 zipper. But all in all, im into it for $200 after buying all the stakes and 1 pole.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I miss my canvas medium. Thought I would never say this......I want another canvas medium.

3dAngus

That's great Dave. Great deal too.
Be sure to dry it off well before repacking. That smell in the old unprotected canvas is usually mold and mildew in the making. It doesn't affect most folks, but some are subject to weezing and eye tearing due to allergies from the mildew. The newer ones are not as bad, easier to clean off if it gets that way, and doesn't have the nicer aroma as the old ones, but those are all matters of one's individual taste. I prefer the old ones too.
Yet, my son would choke to death in one if heavy on the mold and mildew. I would say, when patching holes, clean with a solvent that removes or kills mildew. Looks like you'll be crawling all over it anyway. Maybe you could just spray a mildew killer on them with a handheld yard sprayer.

I'm looking at one now too, but I doubt I will get your price on it. Congrats!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks