• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ADVICE NEEDED: Sled Pulling with m923a2

Cole667

Hi, I have a 1990 BMY m923a2. I plan to pull it next week at the local fair truck pulls. I will probably pull in the street semi class. My truck is powered by an 8.3 cummins. I have installed 3k rpm governor springs and turned the pump up. Should I pull in low range or high? Should I manually upshift and downshift or let the Alison do its job? Any advice on pulling one of these trucks would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Cole

sweetk30

from what I have read the 8.3 cummins don't like more than 1800-2k rpm max of the bottom ends let go .

better recheck your home work . . . .

I could be wrong tho .

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Low range put it in drive 1 and push the gas pedal. I don't know how your higher rpms will affect trans shifting. I think when you get to 2500rpms max if you do, you will want to upshift to 2 manually. If your on dirt deflate your tires to around 40psi for better traction. Is it a plate sled or a real puller sled? How much weight do they have? There isn't much out there that will out pull a military truck. Except maybe a bigger military truck.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Low range put it in drive 1 and push the gas pedal. I don't know how your higher rpms will affect trans shifting. I think when you get to 2500rpms max if you do, you will want to upshift to 2 manually. If your on dirt deflate your tires to around 40psi for better traction. Is it a plate sled or a real puller sled? How much weight do they have? There isn't much out there that will out pull a military truck. Except maybe a bigger military truck.
Not much out there that will out pull an MV? Ever been to a pull with 4x4 turbo diesel pickups. They easily out pull an MV.

A few of us went to a pull last year and all had 5-tons. Every diesel pickup out pulled the 5-tons except for one that broke and another didn't make it more than a few feet. No, I didn't pull the 813.

The automatic and TC give up well before the engine loses. Real sled (300 foot clay track) and all but one of the pickups were diesels and that gas truck was right from the show room floor (literally) and it almost did a full pull.

Ford Mechanic

I pulled mine last year, I think their sled was a little smaller than some I"ve seen. It was a plate sled, set with as much weight as they had available and all the spikes down. I had no extra weight, tires at 55 psi, low gear, and limited to 1st gear. It was slow at the end but she pulled it past the 320 ft mark. I kept the rpms at 2k until I felt the load finally and the went full throttle, at that point it didn't get over 2200 rpm. When the weight hit the top it slowed me to a crawl and 1500 rpm but it toted it to the end.

Several folks here have done it, and there are a couple threads on it like this one.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ith-a-5-ton-(and-a-M920)&highlight=sled++pull

Your over thinking it, find your inner redneck and hook her up!:tank:

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The a2 5 ton with the fuel turned up and in low range 1st gear will pull and not bog like the 250 motor. Once that turbo is spooled it just pulls and pulls.

Jayco36REQS

Not much out there that will out pull an MV? Ever been to a pull with 4x4 turbo diesel pickups. They easily out pull an MV.

A few of us went to a pull last year and all had 5-tons. Every diesel pickup out pulled the 5-tons except for one that broke and another didn't make it more than a few feet. No, I didn't pull the 813.

The automatic and TC give up well before the engine loses. Real sled (300 foot clay track) and all but one of the pickups were diesels and that gas truck was right from the show room floor (literally) and it almost did a full pull.

The sled we pulled was at max weight of 60,000lbs, and he dropped the pan at 75 ft.... vs 200 ft normal. Since it was an exhibition pull, and we hadn't pulled the 5-tons before, we had no idea how they would do. So the sled operator and myself agreed to take it on the cautious side and overload things. I made 2 runs... 1st in high range-drive. The 2nd in Low-range drive. In both runs the truck shifted up to 3rd, then back to 2nd... but never down shifted to 1st again. In both hi and lo range, the torque converter let go and ran out of rpm before the motor ran out of power.

My 2 cents.... manually shift it up and down to keep the rpm up, while maintaining the fasted ground speed. When it comes to pulls, momentum is life. Also, if the truck starts to hop? Get out of it. Things will break VERY quick!!

btw.. Does anyone still have the link to the videos of our pull on youtube? I can't seem to find the posts or link anymore!

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I was at full rev around 2200rpms with the pedal down in low range I didnt have any issues with my tq converter. I want to try the M1078 this year.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks